Saturday, May 17, 2008

I'm Goin' IN!!! Doin' the 25 Motif Challenge...ready....set...GO!

There comes a time in every tatter's life that we must challenge ourselves to become the best tatter we can be...I have, after deep thought, ponderance, meditation....and okay I'm just B.S-ing
you guys. I thought it would be fun to finally just jump in there and do the 25 Motif challenge. Woo Hoo!
So with out further ado I present to you

Motif #1 The Wheel of Fortune Heart.


This little heart is made from HDT (hand dyed thread) called Yummy Grapefruit and Seaweed both in size 20 and dyed and sold by LadyShuttleMaker. The colors are so scrumptious that I kept having the urge to consume rainbow sherbet and lime sherbet while tatting this heart. Does anyone know why? That was a hypothetical question, just in case anyone was wondering...hee hee. The Wheel of Fortune Heart is designed by Teri Dusenbury.


Next we have
Motif #2 My Version of Karin's Scrunchie

You remember Karin right? She and I were partners for the May Bookmark Exchange. I used size 20 thread for mine and it took a long time. Karin used size 10 and I'll bet it didn't take as much time. It looks like YarnPlayer tatted one, too this week. Yay!!!!! GO SCRUNCHIES!!!! Let's see everybody's scrunchies out there in tatting blogger land!!! Yarnplayer makes some awesome possum HDT's, too. You can pick some of those up here if ya want. I have not been so fortunate yet as to have acquired some of hers, but I will (rubs hands together, sniveling) I will....heh heh heh...just you wait.

Karin has posted the pattern for her size 10 tatted scrunchie here for anyone who wants to try it. I highly recommend trying it in size 10 as it will go much faster you will have to tat far less rings to get around the elastic band. I used size 20 and it looks like we used the same amount of double stitches to get the ring around the elastic band so it is the same pattern just more rings have to be tatted.

Well thank you for popping by to share in some of my tatting insanity this week....er wait...did I say tatting insanity? I meant to say Tatting FUN!!! Yes, thank you for coming by to share in all the tatting fun going on around here.

Come on in, look around and leave a comment or two if you feel so inclined. I'm not prejudiced against non-tatters at all infact I'm related to several...I have several non-tatter friends. Tatter's are also welcome....I just didn't want all the tatters to feel left out from all the non-tatter talk. Okay, 'nough said? Comments are always welcome. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with tatting wise.

45 absolutely fabulous things were said:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

You've got a great start on the challenge! I have some of that Yummy Grapefruit and some of the Seaweed... maybe I should stop hoarding it and start using it!

Unknown said...

Yay!!!! Diane the lace-lovin' librarian is the first to comment! I love it, cuz you are always so sweet and encouraging. I love your comments, really I do! Yeah, let's see what you can do with that Yummy Grapefruit and Seaweed....just watch out for those rainbow sherbert and lime sherbert cravings when you're tatting with them...dangerous!

Singtatter said...

Wow, such a delightful heart! Teri's great at designing heart patterns, I have always like her heart patterns. I love your version of the tatted scrunchie best, make me want to do one too!

Unknown said...

Thank you, SIngtatter, glad you like the heart. Teri Dusenbury does have some amazing heart patterns, doesn't she? Okay, so ya wanna do the scrunchie, too. Let's see it!! Let me know if I can help I'm so glad you stopped by, thank you.

Unknown said...

I think you will love being part of the 25 motif challenge and it gives more people a chance to see your wonderful tatting. The heart is beautiful but of course it is , everything made from hand dyed thread seems to turn out that way. Just wait till you try Yarnplayers HDT. The scrunchy is a really good way to introduce a lot of people to the art of tatting and it looks great.

Unknown said...

THank you for all your kind words and encouragement, Clyde. I'm looking forward to the challenge...I never was much of a competitive type person so these types of "self-challenges" are right up my alley.

Back Through Time said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!! And I just love all your tatting. I learned how to needle tat. It is time consuming but fun, it has been years since I tatted but I still have all my little bits and pieces of work. If I ever start up again you will be the 1st person I will come and visit for help!!
So nice to meet you:-)
Michelle

Unknown said...

Hi Michelle, thank you for your reciprocal visit! I'm glad you like tatting I would love to know when you start tatting again, I do hope I am the first person you visit when that happens!

Susanne said...

It is very pretty. It is almost a pity I have short hair.
Played with Angel - it is so hard to catch it, lol. She is cute.

Susanne said...

I forgot to say something about the heart because I thought they had individual comments, LOL.
Oh it is so pretty, it is so yummy.....Great work and good luck with the challenge.

Unknown said...

Hi Susanne, Thank you for playing with Angel...she told me she really enjoyed it. lol. Thank you for the compliments on my tatting stuff. You've been missed around here.

Tatskool said...

Welcome to the challenge, it's such a lot of fun. Glad you like fun.
Will you have any sort of theme to what you tat? or will it be a bit of everything.

The heart is fab and the scrunchie, has anyone published the pattern for the scrunchie??

Unknown said...

Thank you for that nice Welcome to the Challenge, Pamela. I do like fun. I am not realy thinking that I have a theme in mind. You will probably see a few hearts in there as I like a lot of hearts. It will be whatever I feel like tatting at the moment. I plan to write the pattern for the scrunchie once I get an okay from Karin since it is her original idea. Who knows, Maybe she will want to write the pattern. I will email her about that.

Anonymous said...

Actually, you can help me: I've heard about the challenge but don't know anything about it. Maybe you can introduce it to me.

What a way to start your challenge!

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

Hey Lady! You are a hoot and your blog made me smile! The heart is freaking AWESOME!
Congrats on joining the challenge, I will visit your blog often.....no pressure....no pressure.
hee hee

Tracy said...

Everything here is sooo, sooo beautiful...Lacy dreams come true...I look forward to coming back! Thanks so much for visiting me at my blog today. So nice to meet you and see you exquisite crafting. Happy Days :o)

Artifax said...

Hi there!! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog!!

Oh, you do tatting! How beautiful your art is! I would never have the patience for tatting, but love to look at the beautiful things others create. I love that first piece you've made for the challenge - the colors are just yummmy!! And the thread is hand dyed - ah, lovely! I crochet and love to buy hand dyed yarn - something about it being hand dyed just makes it more fun to work with :)

Have fun with your Challenge!!

Unknown said...

Hi Verito, I'm glad you made it back for another visit. There is a link to the "25 Motif Challenge" on the sidebar of my blog on the right click on that and it will take you there. What is it? It's a self commitment to make 25 motives in a years and post them with their number count on your blog. If you want to join you need to have a blog from what I understand and Blogger is free, Verito if you wanted to join. You leave a comment on "The 25 Motif Challenge" and Sharon (the lady who runs it) will email you or get back in touch with you. It's just 25 tatted "things" they don't all have to be motives they can be bookmarks, hearts, doilies, a little motif, whatever it is that you want to tat. It's just a way to challenge yourself to keep on tatting and it improves your tatting skills.

Hi Lady Shuttle Maker, I'm so glad my blog could make you laugh and hoot and stuff. Thanks for the compliments and yeah, do come back often....don't worry, no pressure felt... ;)

Tracy, Oh, I remember you. You are the lovely gal with the very pretty Bunad (dress for Norwegian customs and celebrations) that had such pretty stitching on it. Thank you for coming to visit here. I'm so glad you like tatting. Thank you. I visited your "PinkPurl" etsy shop and you have some lovely accessories there. You are one talented gal!

Thanks for dropping in, Bejewelled. I appreciate the nice comments. You're right, it's fun to work with the hand-dyed threads and yarns. I love tatting with it.

Kathy said...

Hi there, Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I just got that vintage "lace" in an auction lot, I am in love with it!!! I had know idea it was actually tatting. I have agood bit of it and love to see it!
Kathy

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by, Kathy, and yes, that's tatting you won at that auction. I'm so glad to see it went to a nice home. You are doing lovely things with it. Welcome back anytime!

Rosemary said...

Wow, those are great!
I haven't heard the cupid story, so I am going to go and look it up.
Thanks,
Rosemary

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment, Rosemary. Yeah, Cupid and Psyche out of Bulfinches Mythology. Not a lot of people know Cupid had a lover, but I see it more as an allegory of "marriage" between the heart and mind, that's what I think, anyway.

OmonSan said...

My son gets high on suger you seem to do the same on tatting, doesn't matter the outcome is about the same. Great work! In case I'm unclear about it - I love it!

Unknown said...

Oh, thank you Omon, your comment made me laugh. Yes, I do get a high off of tatting, even just looking at it. I guess you could call it a "Tatting High"...LOL....of course, if it were truly a tatting high then I would be ROFLOL....so thus it is, ROFLOL!!!

Unknown said...

P.S. Note to Pamela. You had asked about the pattern for the scrunchie. Karin has posted the pattern on eTatters and I updated this post to include the link over to the pattern if you care to check it out.

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

wow, I had thought this was a lost art- how cool!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Gorgeous!
Those colors are so pretty!

Unknown said...

Hi Karla's Cottage. I'm glad you found me. You will find that indeed, tatting is not a lost art. It is alive and well. Feel free to poke around a bit on the internet (you can use my links to the right if you wish) and you will find that there's a lot of tatting going on in the US and internationally, as well.

Hi Becky, Thank you for the compliments. Always nice to have you stop by. I mean that.

Beverly said...

These are amazing. I so admire your talent. Thanks for sharing with us.

Melissa said...

Awesome! Way to go joining the 25 motif challenge!!! You'll be finished with it in no time I'm sure! I've already done it twice though and maybe even 3 but I haven't kept track of numbers anymore! LOL

Unknown said...

Hi Beverly, thank you for you nice compliments. Is this Beverly from Talented Tatters Yahoo Group and Burda? I couldn't quite tell from your blogger profile. Well, which ever Beverly you are I'm glad you stopped by for a visit.

Melissa, it's always a pleasure to have you stop by for a visit. Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'll celebrate my starting off with an ice cream cone and maybe some onion rings....LOL...how does that sound, Melissa? Do you want an order of onion rings, too? ROFLOL

Stephanie said...

Hello TattingChic! Ooooh I love that heart. As a matter of fact, I love Teri Dusenbury's patterns. One of these days, I'm going to buy some of those HDTs, but I just KNOW I won't be able to stop myself at just one or two. It'll be more like six or seven! Willpower, how I miss thee.

Unknown said...

Hi Steph, welcome to my corner of tatting blogger-land. I'm glad you stopped in for a visit. Thank you for the nice comment about the heart. You are absolutely right about HDT's...it's like lays potatoe chips... You can't stop at just one.

Anonymous said...

Thank youuu very much for the info!! Good luck with the challenge!

Unknown said...

You're Welcome, Verito, and Thank YOu!!!

Melissa said...

LOL you are so silly! You know I happen to love onion rings! YUMMY!!! On the tatting front I started my attempt and I'm still confused but I think what I'm doing will work...may not be "correct" but hey at least it's getting the job done right! LOL

Unknown said...

Hi Melissa, I like onion rings, too. Edible onion rings and tatted ones....LOL. Can't wait to see your doily finished.

Unknown said...

WOW!!!! That heart is over the top gorgeous!! How do you do that? My goodness, it looks hard! You are so talented! Just beautiful!!!!!!!

I LOVE sherbert and am craving it now, lol!

Hugs,
Amy

Unknown said...

Oh, Amy, you are so cute. You flatter me and my heart...LOL. My craving got so bad after tatting it I had to go get an ice cream cone. But, alas, it was only vanilla, but it did the trick. Thanks for stopping by, I'm glad ya did!

Grizzly Mountain Arts said...

Those motifs are so pretty! I love the thread used in the little heart! LadyShuttleMaker has the prettiest hand dyed threads!

Unknown said...

Thank you for you nice words about my heart, Grizzly Mountain Arts. Lady Shuttle Maker does have pretty threads. Next on the docket is some from Yarnplayer, too. Ya can't have enought of those lovely HDT's and it looks like Pamela might join in on the fun.

Susanne said...

Now that you have had an ice cream cone how about tatting one too!!!
Be-Stitched.com have a free pattern.

Unknown said...

Great Idea, Susanne! There's one at Georgia Seit's Site. Maybe I will do that next...lol...I was going to do the doily along with Melissa, but this sounds like so much more fun! I could make it a Rainbow SHerbert ice cream cone. Here's the link to Georgia Seitz's site with the ice cream cone pattern http://www.georgiaseitz.com/2007/edavisavsquare.html

Tattycat said...

I love the heart and the scrunchie. I've got to get a scrunchie made even though I've not enough hair to wear one and no one to give one too! Your posts are great and you have developed quite a following!

Unknown said...

Thanks TattyCat, I'm glad you stopped by. Yeah, tat a scrunchie now that we have the pattern on eTatters thanks to Karin. You could drag some little girl off the street and give it to her. Or give it in a secret Santa Exchange sometime or...who knows... the possibilities are endless. Well, I'm off... I've got a rainbow sherbet ice cream cone to tat thanks to Dantatter's suggestion