Monday, May 5, 2008

A Sweet Treat for My Blue Heart's Desire


Does your heart ever feel a little blue? Mine did just a bit tonight, but I cheered myself up a bit after tatting this pattern called Heart's Desire by a lady named Susan Fuller. I spent part of the day browsing at all the beautiful photos on eTatters. If you've never browsed there you really should it has quite a bit of tatted eye candy.
One piece that inspired me was this red heart by a fellow eTatter. In fact I snooped around on the internet and found the pattern for it here.
In all honesty, I was really itching to try my new size 20 HDT (Hand Dyed Thread) from LadyShuttleMaker called Pensacola Beach and my new ceramic shuttle of her's, too. I know it's silly, but the thread matched the shuttle so it was kinda extra fun. I don't think I've ever really had a thread match a shuttle before, or even cared before, but I'm telling ya if my heart was blue before by the time I got done with tatting the blue heart, my own heart wasn't blue by the time I was done.
Ahhhhh....it feels so good to get a little something tatted, doesn't it? I know you know what I mean, and if you are a reader who doesn't; you don't know what you're missing...lol! Tatting is like a little medicine for my soul...okay, enough of my going on and on and I'll leave you to enjoy the tatting.

As always, thanks for stopping by. I always welcome comments from all you wonderful tatters and non-tatters, alike.
Toodles....

32 absolutely fabulous things were said:

Tatskool said...

So glad you found the pattern, your heart looks lovely.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Beautiful heart, beautiful shuttle... I wondered who beat me to it! ; ) I started trying to match my thread and shuttle when I saw one of Marilee's posts for her Celery thread with one of Sherry's shuttles next to it. It does make tatting more fun (if that's possible)!

I found the pattern for Heart's Desire yesterday. Now, I'd like to find the entire book!

Heart's Desire will have to wait for a little while. I'm working on a hankie edging for one of our kindergarten teachers, whose wedding shower is (gulp!) in two weeks! I'm about 1/3 finished. Thank goodness I wasn't ready to tat with anything finer than size 20!

I'm glad the tatting cheered you up... it's tough to feel blue in the spring.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, Pamela, I'm so glad you stopped by. :)

Thank you, Diane. Ya know, it's funny that you say I beat you to that shuttle cuz it was on LSM's etsy site forEVER...I was sure no one else wanted it...I almost got it because I felt sorry for it. Just kidding. It is a beautiful shuttle. Each and every one of Sherry's shuttles is a little work of art. I'm glad you understand the whole matchy-matchy thing. I was beginning to think I was going a little mad...lol (oh, wow, now, I'm sounding like I'm from across the pond, you know "going mad" and all...lol). Always a pleasure, Diane, always a pleasure.

Lynn Majidimehr said...

Your tatted heart and new shuttle are both beautiful! Thanks for the pattern source.

JuliaB said...

Hello!

Thanks for looking at my blog. Glad you like the toe separators, yes, they are much more comfy than the ones you can buy in shops, and much more chic than toilet paper!!

Gosh, i've never heard of Tatting before, but your blog is intreguing! It looks very complicated though ...

Melissa said...

OOooooo I love heart patterns and I can't say I've seen that one so thank you for the link! I've printed it for my collection! LOL

Unknown said...

Thank you for stopping by, Lynn, I must say the work you've posted on your blog is truly beautiful. Thank you for your nice compliments.

Hello there, Marmeladekiss, what a cute user ID. I like it. Thanks for popping by. I am always happy to open up to world of tatting to someone else. You are welcome to stop by anytime. The art of tatted lace is actually done with One stitch called a double stitch done over and over and over...I would say knitting and crochet could be more complicated...lol It's a wonderful art if you're ever interested in more there are a ton of resources on the internet and I'd be glad to help in anyway I can.

Melissa! I'm always so happy to see your comments. The heart is just done with one shuttle and ballthread. It's fairly easy until you get to the last join it get a little tricky, but you can do it. I can't wait to see your own Heart's Desire if you do tat it.

Elizabeth said...

Ooooh - beautiful thread and looks great in this heart pattern. I think I am going to try this pattern after seeing it a few times recently. It really is lovely. Thank you for the link!

I totally know what you mean about the thread matching the shuttle! LOL

Lisa said...

Hey, thanks for visiting my little blog! I lurve McD's ice cream cones!! My guilty little pleasure!

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by, Elizabeth. It'll be nice to see what you do with the pattern if you decide to tat it.

Hi Lisa, the funny thing was I had just got home from a run to Mickey-D's SPECIFICALLY for that ice cream cone and no sooner got home and onto the internet to do some blog hopping and BAM there was your post with the same thing...lol...I couldn't resist commenting. Thanks for stopping by and for your comment...lol have a great day in Sleepytown. :)

Pat said...

Your tatted heart is certainly beautiful. Tatting is the one thing I tried but just didn't have the aptitude for...so I envy those who do. I love the colors too, and the shuttle matching the thread is just icing on the cake! I sure appreciate you visiting my blog today and now, this peek at your work. Pat at birdnestontheground

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Yes, that shuttle did sit there forEVER! While I was saving my pennies, 6 shuttles I fell in love with disappeared, uh... were sold! That's ok... as long as they each have a loving home! I'm glad to see that other tatters are collecting Sherry's shuttles. I was beginning to feel like a shuttle hog!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your lovely comment, Pat. I'm glad you stopped by. Well, tatting or not, you look like you get plenty of beautiful things done at your lovely studio.

Diane, I know what you mean, the shuttles really went FAST right before Sherry moved. lol..I thought you were the one buying them all...lol...just kidding ;)

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

Hi TattingChic,

The heart is very pretty and is a perfect match for the shuttle. How do you like tatting with this shuttle. Is the shuttle heavy or light? I keep looking at them in the Etsy shop too!

This is such a pretty heart and I have had the pattern out since last week, I want to use some HDT that I just got to tat it too.
I've been too busy in the evenings to tat. I'm having tatting withdrawls. Bye!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your nice comments, Carol. The shuttle is actually quite light. I took my ceramic shuttles to my lace guild meeting on Saturday and passed them around and several comments were made like "Wow, they look heavy, but they are quite light."
If you decide to tat that heart it'll be nice to see a post on it. Happy Tatting!

Thimbleanna said...

OhMyGosh!!! Look at all this beautiful tatting going on here. Thanks for visiting my blog -- everything's so pretty over here. I work with a guy who is a big tatter. We have a group just learning to knit and he joins in as an experienced knitter -- I think he'd secretly like to teach everyone tatting!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for visiting me here in tattingland, Thimbleanna, I say you should secretly take that guy at work up on his secretly wanting to teach ya'll to tat...lol. It is a wonderful thing to have a teacher IN PERSON. The online tatting community is wonderful, but there's nothing like it LIVE & IN PERSON..lol
And while you're at it send that guy over to my blog for a visit. Love to meet him.

Cindy said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I am a beginner "wanna-be" tatter and see so much inspiration out there to get back to learning more. I am just so darn slow, it frustrates me. You do beautiful work - the heart is gorgeous! You've got me making another goal . . .

Mandy said...

What a delightful heart design. The shuttle is so pretty too! Thanks for visiting my Blog, it has meant my now seeing yours for the first time.
Tatting is one thing I have always meant to try. My aunt has given me a shuttle to use, now I really must make the time to have a go.
Thanks.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Artsy Threads, I'm so glad you stopped by. As far as going slow goes...that is TOTALLY OKAY!!! Just KEEP TATTING! I promise you it will get fast over time as you progress. It's better to go slow and really get it down then later when you are faster you will most likely make less mistakes.

Thanks for popping in Mandy! Wow, that would be super if you learned how to tat. I recommend you join eTatters.com I have link on the right sidebar on my blog. It's free and there's lots of info and inspiration. There is also a book called "Fancy Pants" that has some good photos for learning how. If you decide to learn keep me posted on your progress. I'll be happy to help anyway I can. You will find that the online tatting community is very helpful and friendly.

Mandy said...

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I shall bookmark the eTatters site. It may take me a while to get around to learning, but that is something I shall do this summer.

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

Holy Cow, I feel like I've been gone forever! What a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing, I never even thought about the thread and shuttle matching...What fun! I hope your heart stays cheered, you are in my thoughts!

Unknown said...

You're welcome, Mandy. Please keep me posted on your tatting. I really would like to know. :)

LadyShuttleMaker, It's so good to have you back in blogger-landia. The shuttle kind of reminds me of the ocean (dark blue lace part) and sky (lighter blue part with the lighter circles for clouds).

Sarah said...

oh! Your tatting is lovely. What a lost art....I'm so glad your helping by keeping it alive. Can't wait to look through some of you older post to see more of your work!
Sarah
http://vintagelily.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Unknown said...

Thank you again, Sarah. I'm glad you like tatting. I haven't been doing the blog for very long so there's not a lot there, yet, but there's definately more to come!

Terri Lee Takacs said...

Thanks for coming by my blog! Oh I LOVE these ~ the heart at the end of this page is breathtaking!If I tatted I would have a shuttle addiction FOR SURE! They are just lovely!

Unknown said...

Thank you for coming by for a visit, Terri's Thread art. I'm glad you like the little heart. You're right "shuttle addiction" is definately a hazard of the hobby...LOL

Unknown said...

Thank you for coming by for a visit, Terri's Thread art. I'm glad you like the little heart. You're right "shuttle addiction" is definately a hazard of the hobby...LOL

Susanne said...

I have studied the pattern for this and have a hard time finding out where it starts, is it in the middle or what?
I wish there were a diagram for this heart, it would be easier for me to figure it out, lol.

Unknown said...

Oh, Susanne, I wish you were sitting right here next to me so I could just point to the ring for you. Ya know, sometimes a designere will point out the starting point with an arrow.

I will do my utmost to describe the starting point for you as I don't have a scanner that I can draw on a photo and scan it to you.

If you visually divide the heart into two halves visually vertically (up and down) look at the left. On my heart the first ring is the greenish ring in the middle-ish that leads to a cream chain that curls upon itself with other rings and chains like a spiral. Please let me know if that helps or not, Susanne, as it's so hard to describe and I really want to "show" it to you.

Susanne said...

Oh duh me. After having read your info here I watched your picture and I could finally see it. I just could not figure it out when I read the pattern and looked at the drawing on that pattern page.
It worked perfectly so thank you very much for the help.

Unknown said...

Oh, good, I'm so glad you found the start of it. I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to ask me and I'm glad that I could be of help!
:)