Saturday, February 21, 2009

Wild Thing!!!

You make my heart sing!

You make

EVERYTHING




I have always heard that this song, entitled "Wild Thing", was made famous by Jimi Hendrix. I must confess... I am NOT a Jimi Hendrix fan at all, (and I'm OKAY with that) but sometimes the words to that song do ring true and this would be one of those times. In doing research for this post (yes, I do "research" for my posts) I found out that this song was originally made famous in 1966 by a group called "The Troggs". I found them to be much more palatable than Jimi Hendrix. Sorry, Jimi Hendrix and fans... remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.




Case and Point

These next two videos illustrate very well the

difference between

Unpalatable vs. Palatable

in music performances.

Ummm...Jimi Hendrix being the former.

WARNING: the first video is truly "wild"

while the second video is quite a bit more "tame".

On second thought,

you may just want to skip over the first

video and move on to the second video, LOL!



Bless his heart

Thank you, tfme.
Note the look of absolute horror on the girls' faces
after Jimi's "stunning" 1967 performance.



VS.






Thank you, Ianabroad.
Note, while the girls may look bored out of their gourds,

they do not look horrified during this 1966 ditty.

See what I mean, Jelly Bean???


End Case and Point.



~*~

What on earth does this have to do with tatting?

Have you SEEN my new tatting shuttle?

It's totally WILD!!!

Here it is!








It's a tatting shuttle carved out of a gourd
with a hand painted leopard print on it!!!


Here's a side view of it.
It's a post shuttle.

See the little "post" in between the boat-shaped pieces?


I custom ordered it from

Alexandra Beatty Designs

after I saw this post on Lace-Lovin' Librarian's blog.

Alexandra Beatty Designs took a custom

order from me to paint a leopard print on a shuttle.

She sent it in this lovely pink silk bag.

Isn't it pretty?


Now, you may ask yourself, "Why would someone

want a leopard print custom painted onto a tatting shuttle?"

The answer to that is: "Because they don't come that way!"

AND "Because I needed a leopard print tatting shuttle to go

with my leopard print Gingher scissors and my tiger striped

measuring tape! Why else?"

See!!! rrrrraaaaawwwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!


~*~


Hee hee! I have been looking for years for a leopard print tatting shuttle so I was just a little bit excited to show it to you, LOL! Thanks for sharing in the excitement of it all with me. The designer tells me that it is "green", too! She does not use any pesticides to grow her gourds. This very shuttle will be featured on a "green" website and I will share the link to that article on this post when it is made available to me.


Next you may be wondering why I'm not tatting with it right now. Well, who has time to tat when there's so much....um.....errrr.... "research" yeah, that's it, research that needs to be done on the internet!

;)

Luv,

TattingChic

xoxo

53 absolutely fabulous things were said:

Connie said...

I am sure your new shuttle will make tatting extra fun!

tam said...

Well that was a very interesting way to introduce your tatting shuttle-LoL! But way fun for me as I am a HUGE Hendrix fan and happen to toally dig on the Troggs too!
In fact I have both of them on my blog's playlist! I freakin LOVE rock in Roll always have always will-thanks for the fun post!
Enjoy you new animal print shuttle!
~Tam :D

Kathleen Grace said...

That shuttle is awesome! It sure isn't your grannys shuttle:>) I think my jaw is stilled hanging open from the Jimi Hendrix video. Oh. my. gosh! I had never seen video if his performance and that one guarantees I will never see another!

Karen ~ Cider Antiques said...

Hmmmm . . . . where have all the lace ladies gone? Jimmy seems to have scared everyone away, LOL.

Yep, he really liked that guitar and speaker too! Karen

Gina said...

LOL! Thanks for the memories! I really don't know anything about Jimi Hendrix playing the song but I do remember The Trogg's version. I was 17 years old, a senior in high school, on the verge of "adult freedom". That song was played at dances and street fairs and parties and many many "stereos". I remember it mostly in the hot sweltering summer but I know it has played for years and years since then.

A leopard shuttle huh? I just might have a bag to go with that.(wink) Remind me later.

Sharon D. said...

Love the new shuttle. Should be fun to tat with.

Donna said...

I just love it. And the pink bag shows you that you never know what "wild things" might be hiding in sweet pink bags!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

That is a very cool shuttle! I never heard the Jimi Hendrix version, just The Troggs.

Susanne said...

ROFLOL, I think you can almost hear me laughing. I would never have connected Jimi Hendix, The Troggs or that song with a tatting shuttle. TattingChic, you are hilarious :-D
I have to admit that I like the little shuttle bag the most, I am not into that leopard stuff at all but I am glad we all have different taste so there's something for all of us.
Enjoy your new shuttle, please.
And another ROFLOL from me.

our shabby cottage said...

I totally "get it"! LOL! Kathryn. XX

Dawn Marie said...

That is a groovy shuttle! Looks like it will hold tons of thread too. So glad you were able to find it! Happy Tatting!

Bella Sinclair said...

Oh..oh...ohhhhh, my aching sides! I am laughing too hard! Thanks for the fun first thing in (my) morning.

I can't hear that song and NOT think about that movie Major League. It always makes me smile. But I had never seen the Troggs before (what a name!). Cool! Your new shuttle is outrageously awesome. And I can't BELIEVE you have a whole wild animal collection. How FUN! This is a wild side of you I've never seen before! I tell ya, that tail on your tape measure sent me over the moon!

Tattycat said...

Definitely the Troggs for me! I agree with Tam. This is a very interesting way to introduce your new shuttle. Of course you needed a leopard shuttle to go with your scissors and tape measure! Duh! I want one of these and have been looking at them. Guess it's time to do some "research." LOL

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

I love the shuttle. Can't wait to see what you make with it. :)...something about St. Patty's day was talked about eariler, just saying. :) I took the test you have on your side bar of your blog, gotta check out what I scored....I am still scratching my head about that one!

Unknown said...

Hi Connie, I'm sure it will, too!

LOL, Tam, glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for your fun comment.

Thanks, Kathleen Grace! LOL! You're right, it isn't your grandmother's shuttle, is it? Well, I hope I haven't damaged you forever by exposing you to that Jimi Hendrix, vid...it pretty much blew my mind, too. YIKES!

Yes, Karen, I was afraid Jimi was going to scare everyone away, too! Apparently, it hasn't done too much to deter some of my lace lady friends! I'm glad for that!

Hi, Gina! That is a cute memory you have of the Troggs. They seemed like a really cool group! Isn't it funny, that I've only heard of it in relation to Jimi Hendrix? Gosh, The Troggs make the song so much more fun for me! Hey! Drag out the bag! Let's check it out!

Thank you, Sharon D! Glad you like the shuttle.

Yes, Donna! Good observation! I was pleasantly surprised by the pink bag! I thought it was the perfect presentation, LOL!

Hi Diane! I'm so glad you came to visit! Thanks for "inspiring" me to order the shuttle! I'm so glad I did!

LOL, Susanne! I'm so glad the post made you laugh! That's what it's here for! I could here your laughter all the way from Denmark! We can't take ourselves (or out tatting shuttles) too seriously, now can we? LOL! Yes, I happen to agree that a little leopard print goes a llllloooonnnngggg way! I only like it in very small doses. A little leopard print can look very classy...too much can look... ummmm... psycho! LOL!

Hi Kathryn! I'm glad you "get it"!!! LOL!

Thanks, Dawn Marie! You're right, it is perfect for holding beads on the shuttle thread! It's nice and light, too.

LOL, Bella Sinclair! I love the tail on my tape measure, too! That is my favorite part of it...I think it's why I got it, too! I got it at the zoo...at their gift shop! Isn't it cool? Yes, I'm a wild tatting child, LOL!

Oh, SEE! Tattycat! I knew you would understand my rationale for needing a leopard print shuttle, LOL!!! The Troggs are wayyyyy cool, aren't they?

Hi Stitchy McFloss! Yes, something about St. Paddy's day was mentioned, wasn't it? That is nearly a whole month away, though, isn't it??? So, I still have plenty of time to do "research"! LOL!

Jessica Rodarte said...

*giggle!* you wild tatter, you. :)

Valerie said...

i'll stick to the 'wild' tatting shuttle, scissors and measuring tape. the video's too wild for my liking. i would never have gone near it... :p

have fun with your new 'toy'.

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

That's a lovely and WILD shuttle...let us know how it tats!

Elyse said...

the troggs are very groovy. i had a tape or LP by them and it was very fun.

have fun with your new tatting shuttle, you wild thing, you!

:)

ps
i'm having a give-away -- please stop by

Fete et Fleur said...

Super unique! I'm glad you finally found one. I love the tape measure and scissors.

Nancy

Mary Ellen said...

Love the wild new shuttle! You are rocking the animal print accessories there, ma'am. I'm totally jealous!

Draffin Bears said...

I love your new tatting shuttle and all your other paraphernalia ~ how very neat.
Now all you will need is the dress and shoes to match, or are they already in the wardrobe?

We watched a Documentary just last week on Jimmy Hendrix - he really was a great guitarist.

Enjoy your new Wild thing shuttle and I look forward to seeing what you create, from it.

Hugs
Carolyn

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! That IS exciting! You're hysterical!!! I LOVE all your WILD thing tatting tools!

Unknown said...

LOL! Thanks, Kids Napping? I'm Scrapping.

Well, now, in all fairness, Valerie, I DID warn you, LOL! :P
I hope you've recovered.

Hi, Lady Shuttle Maker, I will let you know how it tats.

Thanks, Elyse! I LOVE giveaways! I agree with you about The Troggs.

Thanks, Nancy. I've really enjoyed using the measuring tape and scissors...as boring as that may sound, LOL!

LOL, Mary Ellen! Garsh, I didn't mean to make you jealous! We cannot have that! You should get yourself a leopard print tatting shuttle and then maybe you'll feel better, LOL!

Thanks, Carolyn. As far as the dress and shoes go, um, NO! A little leopard print goes a LONG way, LOL! A ruffly blouse, yes! It looks great w/ black slacks! I have heard many people say that Jimi Hendrix was one of the greatest guitar players that ever lived and, again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder; or in this case the "ear" of the beholder, LOL!

Thank you for sharing in the excitement with me, Thimbleanna! LOL!

Susan Elliott said...

I love how that beautiful collection came together -- it definitely makes my heart sing -- though I don't think it's Jimi Hendrix in there...

Bonnie said...

Your blogs are so much fun to read. I really like your wild thing shuttle. It looks like it is going to be a blast to work with. Have fun!

Unknown said...

Ohh my goodnesss.... I love your tatting shuttle!! The whole set is pretty wild! Oh and thanks for the nice comments on my blog.
Hugs Shirl

Just Between Us Girls said...

Well that is absolutely beautiful. I recently found an item I wanted for years so I know exactly how you feel. Also about my felt ornaments. Could something like this be tated after it was made. I was just curious.
I think tatting is the most beautiful trim there is. It is my favorite and sometimes I buy old samples to use in my pillow creations. Have a wonderful Sunday. It always makes my day t o hear from you. OOOOh Yes it DOES!

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

I do like a bit of leopard print!!!

Victoria x

Free Art Printables said...

YOU should have seen the absolute look of horror on my face after that first video.. good old Jimi...
I love the pattern on that shuttle.

Mona said...

I think you are just great along with your wonderful shuttle!

Unknown said...

Yes, Plays With Needles, the collection of animal print needlework notions definately makes my heart sing, too! It's not Jimi Hendrix for me, either, LOL!

Thank you, Bonnie! I really appreciate that sweet comment, I really do! I hope to have fun tatting with it!

Hi Shirl, thanks for visiting! Glad you like the stuff.

Thank you, Just Between Us Girls! Yes, you could tat something for an object after it was made...do you mean like an edging for one of your ornaments or cushions? I tried to answer the question on your blog, too. I love seeing tatting on creations like yours! Thank you for your visit!

Hi, Victoria. Yes, a little bit of leopard print can be very lovely.

LOL! Jen, you should've seen the look of horror on MY face, too! LOL! For some reason it was just too, um, I really don't have to words for it... too... mindblowing... to leave out of the post. I was very relieved to find out that The Troggs had actually made it famous originally.

OH, thank you, Mona van Dijk. That is very sweet of you to say.

The Victorian Parlor said...

This post is great! I love the very 'wild and stylish' leopard shuttle (and the scissors that match:) I got such a good chuckle-you have a great sense of humor. Thank you for the smiles!

BTW, the lovely pink tea cup and saucer that you admired on my tea cup post is still available at 221 Antiques & Coffee. Lisa is the owner and will ship if you are interested:) Her phone number is 843-522-3049:)

Tatskool said...

Another fun post, love the graphics ( finding them must take up a lot of your tatting time),love the shuttle.

Unknown said...

What a COOL shuttle! Love it :) I also love the pretty case you ordered for it!

Hugs,
Amy

Betzie said...

I'm so glad you delight in the simple things, wild as they may be! Great post!!!
Don't think you are going to get me started in a leopard skin shuttle collection though! LOL

Tutti Chic said...

what an adorable post! I actually was in the 7th grade when jimi hendrix died & all the hippies in town gathered in a candlelight vigil in the center. I remember how goofy I thought they all looked. anyway.....love your shuttle & what a cute way to announce it! :) chris p.s. thanks for visiting today!

Unknown said...

Hello to the Victorian Parlor! Thank you for your very sweet comment! I appreciate it! I will keep that in mind on the lovely cup and saucer. :)

Thank you, Tatskool! Actually, finding the graphics just took a quick search on google, LOL! It was the video "research" that cut into tatting time, LOL!

Thank you, Amy! I appreciate your visit! Glad you like my pink bag and wild tatting shuttle.

Hi Betzie, thank you, I'm glad you liked the post. Oh, I thought nothing of the sort, LOL!

Hi Tutti Chic! I am so glad you visited today! Thanks for the hippie story that sounds like a memorable experience.

Rue said...

LOL You are too cute! I love it too and I don't even tat ;)

rue

Unknown said...

LOL! Thanks, Rue! I'm glad you like my Wild Thing shuttle. :)

FrenchGardenHouse said...

ack! Although I'm not into Jimi that much, I have to say that I kind of LIKE his version. {brought back all those wild memories of the 60's/70's!}.

The tatting stuff in Leopard? wow. W I L D !
xo Lidy

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Oh thank goodness...you ended your post with Bless His Heart! whew! LOL...

I am not a Jimi fan either, I think he may have liked LSD but I'm not sure....hmmmmm

Unknown said...

LOL, Lidy! Yes, you know I've heard more than one person say they like Jimi's version best, LOL! That is why I always thought that he was the one that made it famous, LOL!

Hi Kathi! Yes, it sure seems like Jimi was into some sort of hard core drug from the way he acted. Who knows!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

If I were a tatter that is the shuttle I would want! I love animal print anything! Am I showing my age if I said I knew the Troggs version of Wild Thing way before I ever heard Jimi's? Thank you so much for showing the videos. Great fun! Twyla

Natasha Burns said...

LOL you are a laugh a minute!
I actually didn't know Hendrix did a version of Wild Thing, I grew up with a dad who played the original Troggs version, and I looooove it, such a cool song!
CUTE shuttles and the new ones in the next post too :)

Singtatter said...

The leopard print is so cute! Something so different from usual floral prints. Good choice!

Unknown said...

Hi Twyla, LOL! That is so cute that you've found the shuttle for you if you were a tatter. You would not be the first one to mention that you only new The Trogg's version on this post.

Thanks, Natasha. Glad you like the shuttles. The Trogg's version is totally cool. Now that I'm aware that they first made it famous it makes that song so much more tasteful to me, LOL!

Thank you, Singtatter! I'm glad I have your "blessing" on the leopard print shuttle! I was afraid it was going to be to "wild" for many of my tatting friends, LOL!

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

Great post TattingChic! I remember listening to that song too. It would be playing all the time at the roller skating rink I went to with friends. We loved skating to that song.

Your leopard print shuttle is awesome.

Have a great day!

Unknown said...

Carol,
That is so cute that you have those sweet memories going to the roller skating rink w/ friends and listening to that song. I'm glad you like the leopard print shuttle.
Thanks for visiting!
I emailed you; just like you requested...so I'm waiting for a response. :)
~TattingChic

Terrielee said...

What a wonderful shuttle and a wonderful set! WHo needs to tat when you can just sit and enjoy the "toys"! ;)

Unknown said...

LOL! Good point, Terrielee! Thanks for stopping by. :)

Mary said...

I'm way behind in my blog reading, but I'm one of those damned hippies that worshipped Jimi Hendrix. :) I do prefer the Troggs version of the song, though. It is a song I associate with teenage crushes and junior high dances (where the boys were too cool or too afraid to ask girls to dance.)Thanks for the memories. :)

Unknown said...

LOL! Mary! You are one of several people who have mentioned they are fans of Jimi Hendrix! I know there are a lot of Hendrix fans out there. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your sweet memories with me! :)