Thursday, May 1, 2008

Hats Off to Tatting!


Have you ever started out on a journey with a destination in mind only to end up someplace completely different, yet gloriously so? Well, that's not far from what happened in the journey of making this little hat. It was intended as a baby bonnet from an old Workbasket pattern. I'd made this particular bonnet before so I thought nothing of making it again.
The interesting thing is that I was going through a particularly rough patch in life at the time so my tension for the first several rounds was tighter than the rest...lol...I hadn't realized it until someone walked by and said, "What's that ya tattin' now? A hat?" After I got over feeling insulted that it wasn't obviously a baby bonnet, I realized it really was a cute little hat...with the lip being straight as a plane where it should have bowled with the rest of the "bonnet".
So, I went with the pleasant little "mistake". I stopped tatting any more rounds on the bonnet and stiffened it with fabric stiffener, glued up part of the lip, embellished it with ribbons and dried flowers and Voila'! I had "designed" a tatted hat...lol


I sometimes wonder if other designers have a serendipitous moment such as this.
Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I enjoy reading each and everyone of your comments.




25 absolutely fabulous things were said:

Melissa said...

That is a cute hat sachet! It's nice how things will work out like that!

Tatskool said...

You will have to make more mistakes!!
It's lovely.

Unknown said...

Thank you Melissa. I'm so glad you recognized it's a little sachet. I'm so glad you stopped by today.

Pamela, your kind comment made my heart smile, thank you. Very sweet.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Scarlet O'Hara would be please to wear such a lovely hat. Oh, wait... it's a sachet! I wonder if Scarlet ever tatted something like this, or if she only made edgings?

Sherry said...

I love people finding and commenting on my blog because it leads to their's and beyond. Beautiful tatting!

Unknown said...

LOL...Oh, Diane, I can always count on you for a fun and humorous comment. Your comments always make my day. You can "pop in" anytime. :)

Sherry, I'm so glad we found each other on the world wide web...or should I say found each other's needlework. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words.

Tattycat said...

The hat sachet is beautiful. It is so fun and satisfying when we think we have made a mistake. What has really happened is that the thread wanted to be something else and the shuttle helped it come out! We should all be more open to "mistakes."

Tatskool said...

I would love to know how you make your comments visible, I have tried every setting on blogger that i can find and none of them do this.

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

Very Nice Sachet!! I always like patterns that use that rosette in the center of the motif!!

Kathy Raker said...

Your tatted hat or sachet, is just adorable. if only all mistakes would turn out that nice.

Kathy Raker said...

Sorry, I wanted to add that it's too bad you are wwwwaaayyyyy on the other side of the country. I could use an "in person" shuttle tatting instructor. Maybe I am just being lazy.:))

Unknown said...

Isn't wonderful when our accidents turn out to be wonderful works of art.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Tattycat (I love your user ID, BTW) Mistakes can certainly be our "friends" if we let them, whether it's learning how to do something better next time, or "inventing" something totally new...lol

Pamela, I have my comments on Comment Moderation to prevent spam, so my comments don't show up until I approve and "publish" them.

Thank you, Carol. It seems like some of my vintage workbaskets have the rosette as a center motif. One may even have rosettes on the edge of a.....gasp....doily!

Oh, Kathy, It would be so much fun to teach you in person. No, you are not being lazy at all. Many people are visual learners and need that "switch" or "flip" of the thread shown to them. www.eTatters.com has somelinks for shuttle newbies and I think that there may even be some links to videos. It's free to join if you haven't already. BTW, thank you for your nice comments.

Thank you, Clyde. Some accidents do turn out to be wonderful. Thanks for stopping by.

Unknown said...

Kathy, apparently the link I put in my comment to you didn't work when I clicked on it, but there's a badge on the right sidebar of my blog and if you click on it, it will take you right to eTatters.

Barbara Gordon said...

First, thanks for visiting my site and commenting on my club group. I am curious about that little hat you made. Kind of a dumb question, but I am loaded with them. After you put the dried flower in the hat did you tat something for closure on the back? If not, what did you use to hold the flowers in? Turned out nice!

Unknown said...

Hi Barbara, Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting. Your question isn't dumb at all and I love teaching (and learning). What I did was take a small-medium sized styrofoam ball with a curvature that fit the curve of the hat. I cut it in "half" (by half I mean wherever it was flush with the bottom of the hat so it wasn't equal halves)Then I used either white craft glue or elmers glue diluted with water (can't remember which 'cause I did this over 15 years ago) and I totally saturated all sides of the styrofoam ball "half" with the glue and then rolled it in a potpourri that had smallish particles so that it was completely covered in potpourri...some places had to have little spots hand glued after the first drying. There was no glue on top of the potpourri, mind you. After it was completely dry. I very carefully used a glue gun to glue it inside the hat so you couldn't see any glue. I hope that is clear. Feel free to ask me any questions if it is not clear.

Susanne said...

First of all I want to say that you present your work in such a beautiful way, lots of different sorts of flowers etc. which I like.
That hat is so cute and it definitely does not matter that it was intended to be a baby bonnet, not at all.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments, Susanne. I think the fun of that baby bonnet turning into a hat made it kind of an unexpected adventure in tatting...lol. Thanks for stopping by.

Singtatter said...

Love the hat sachet. That's a clever way to turn the mistake into.

Toptattyhead said...

Oh what a lovely mistake! And yes we diesigners definitely start out with one thing and end up with another! Just take my gladiolus, my first effort is now a hollyhock! LOL

Unknown said...

Thank you, Singtatter. I appreciate your kind comment.

That is so funny, Linda. I love both gladioli and hollyhocks so I can't wait to see what ever it turns out to be. I would imagine that a gladiolus would be hard to design.

Ais said...

oh it's so cute!! And what a clever way to make it hold potpourri!! I always learn something when I come here on our site

Anonymous said...

So happy you visited me. Now I have the pleasure of your lovely work! The hat is so darling, as is all your other work. I have no clue about how tatting works, but it is truly beautiful - or at least when you do it!
Blessings,
Joyce

Unknown said...

Thank You, Ais and Kaleidoscopeimpressions, both of your kind comments are very much appreciated.

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and for the very nice comments. Your tatting is beautiful. Love how you use it around your home.