Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Fourth of July!

I'm proud to be an American. Maybe I have my doubts sometimes with the war, but all in all I thank God for all the blessings that come from being a citizen of this great country. So to everyone celebrating the good ol' USA's birthday today...

"HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY"!!!
You know what I just gotta have every
fourth of July?
That's right!
WATERMELON!!!
...a good ol' juicy red piece of watermelon...
...yum.
I just LOVE watermelon, don't you?
I love it so much I tatted a heart of it
just for you!

SEE!!!
Motif #9 I Heart Watermelon!
I used Lady Shuttle Maker's
HDT (hand dyed thread) in Seaweed size 20
(I thought that her Seaweed variegated thread
kinda looked like a watermelon rind.
What do you think?)
and DMC's Cebelia Red size 20
(Someone has a sense of humor at DMC;
giving their bright red thread the catalog number of three sixes)
and some black plastic faceted beeds
for the watermelon seeds.
This is "The Wheel of Fortune Heart"
designed by Teri Dusenbury.
I'm adding it as part of my 25 Motif Challenge.

And for all you patriotic Americans out there
I have a picture of a
that I rescued from an antique store a few years ago.
It's still on the same yellowed card with
the same rusty staple holding it in place.

What? No crack in the Liberty bell?

For all my wonderful international friends (and you know who you are). I hope you have a happy fourth of July today, too, even if you're too busy with other things to have a piece of watermelon.

;)

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. Now go get some watermelon and think of me...LOL!

((Hugs)),

TattingChic



47 absolutely fabulous things were said:

Stephanie said...

Very cute, TC! I just love when I come across some little gem like your bell at an antique shop, garage sale or flea market. It really is true that someone's trash is really someone else's treasure. Happy Fourth!

Melissa said...

LOLLLLLLL I love watermelon too I'm always tossed up between which I love more watermelon or honeydew...I guess whichever is ripe! HAHA We check everyday if our watermelon is ripe in the garden, wouldn't that be cool if it was today?

Unknown said...

Thank you, Stephanie. I always seem to pick up a bit of tatting when I go antique-ing.

That would be totally awesome if your homegrown watermelon was ripe today, Melissa. I'll bet your garden is growing wonderfully.

Barb said...

Girl, you are too much-lol. I love the tatting. Enjoy your watermelon and have a wonderful 4th.

many hugs,
Barb

Unknown said...

I love the watermelon heart idea, very creative and Seaweed does make a very good rind.

Unknown said...

Happy Fourth, Barb! I think I will enjoy the watermelon today...LOL!

Thanks, Clyde! I'm glad you like the watermelon idea...LOL! I noticed the last time I tatted this heart I used the seaweed and I thought it looked like a rind so I just went with it. Thanks for the comment.

Tattycat said...

Happy 4th to you too! I love the watermelon. How clever. Lucky you to rescue the liberty bell. I hope you had a great day.

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

Double Yummy Chiclet! I am a proud patriot too and it seems to be even more magnified when I am out of my own country. Happy 4th!

Unknown said...

Hi TattyCat, Happy 4th to you. I hope you're having a great day so far. Thanks for coming by.

I thought of you way over there in Korea today, Sherry. I wondered what you might be doing. Did you do something special for the 4th on your own?

Charmingdesigns said...

Oh my goodness, those are soooo great. I just had my watermelon.Yummm
Your watermelon tatting is just beautiful!!! I have NEVER seen any old tatting of "things" its always just the long strand...which I always buy! Thank you soooo much for the lovely darling heart. I will treasure it forever! Laurie

Unknown said...

Oh, thanks Laurie! I'm so glad you took my tatted watermelon heart "to heart"...LOL!

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

Happy 4th of July to you to. Your heart is lovely, especially with the seaweed thread. The Liberty Bell sure was a unique find at the Antique store.

Hope you had a great day! We had a picnic with family and a very enjoyable day!

Tatskool said...

Thanks for your greetings TattingChic.
No watermelon (love the heart) but I did have a 4th of July tatting party.

Unknown said...

Hi Carol. Thanks for stopping by yesterday. A picnic sounds like the perfect thing to do on the Fourth. I had a small gathering at my house with corn on the cob, hotdogs and watermelon, of course!

Hi Pamela! Welcome back! A tatting party sounds like fun. I don't think I know enough people who tat to have a tatting party. Well, maybe I do....hmmmmmmm. I hope we hear all about it on your blog.

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

It sounds like your 4th of July was just wonderful.
I love your antique Liberty Bell and the watermelon too. On that note, I think I must go out and get some watermelon today as I think it's going to be a hot one - thanks for the idea.
Happy Day!
~Tracie

Unknown said...

Thanks Tracie. Isn't watermelon so refreshing on a hot summer day? Enjoy your watermelon today.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Good morning and thank you for stopping by my blog for a visit and comment. :) I am amazed how women create tatting and you do gorgeous work!! It is getting to be a lost art. Your creations are wonderful and very unique.

Hoping you are having a wonderful California weekend. It was cooler here in the Central Valley yesterday...but soon to heat back up next week. grrrr....

:)
Becky

Rosemary said...

Thank you we did!!!
I hope you are having a great weekend too!
Rosemary

rochambeau said...

Happy 5th of July Tatting Chic. These are wonderful works!!
Constance

Unknown said...

Hi Becky, thanks for stopping by. I am finding that tatting blogs are popping up all over the place. It's been pretty warm in my part of California. Come again!

Hi Rosemary, it is a nice weekend, thanks. I'm glad you came by.

Thank you for your comment, Constance. I love your name.

Kathy Raker said...

Isn't watermelon the best. Cute watermelon heart too. Very nice work.

Celestina Marie said...

Wow, what a great post. I love watermelon too and your tatted heartmelon is fantastic. What a talent you are.
Hope you are having a great 4th of July weekend.
hugs, Celestina
la rea rose

Unknown said...

Thanks Kathy. Yes, watermelon IS the best. Mine's all gone now. boo hoo.

Hi Celestina. Thanks for your extra nice comment. I appreciate it. Enjoy the weekend! :)

Susanne said...

I love the watermelon, you did a good job.
Good you were able to save that Liberty Bell - but was it supposed to have a crack or what? LOL Sorry if I sound stupid but I do not know US history in such details.

Unknown said...

LOL! It's okay, Dantatter, I remember learning about the Liberty Bell when I was 7 years old in school. I don't think you're stupid at all! Apparently this bell was made to proclaim America's Independence and ironically it cracked when they hung it up to test ring it...LOL! Here's a link to an official site on it if you are really bored and want to know more.

http://www.ushistory.org/LibertyBell/index.html

vintage girl at heart said...

These are incredible!

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Barb!
Oh that is so beautiful! I love your creations.
I found what I think is a treasure. My mom recently went into a "home" for the aged and I've had to clean some things out of her home. In my grandmothers sewing machine cabinet was what I think is an old shuttle and a small piece of tatting. My mom never tatted so it had to be my grandma's or great-grandma's. I was excited! I will take a photo of them for a future post and have you look at them. I love finding things like that!
Hugs, Sherry

Unknown said...

Thank you Vintage Girl at Heart!

Hi Sherry from Edie Marie's Attic. I'm so sorry to hear your Mom had to go into a "home", but I am excited to hear that you found a treasure. Please do post about it...I'd love to see it, really! What a lovely treasure and I think it's even more wonderful that you know a little bit about it to know to save it. So many people find tatting shuttles and toss them because they don't know what they are...tragic, but true.
Oh, BTW, I'm not Barb, but I only go by TattingChic online...maybe you were thinking of Barb from The French Element...in which case I will take that as a compliment since she's such a doll!

Little Blue Violet said...

Wonderful and I love the Liberty Bell!
smiles
DarLy*~

Joanne Kennedy said...

Hi,

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I just spent awhile reading through you blog and wow am I ever impressed! I've never met anyone who did tatting before. I think it so beautiful!

I see you are a cake and cookie decorator. Me too! Have you been to any of the Cake Clubs or shows they have for the weekends?

Are you down in San Diego? I'm in OC. I'm the VP of Sweet Arts of Orange County.

Did you by any chance go on the cake cruise last year?

I wonder if we have ever crossed paths before.

Hugs,
Joanne

Unknown said...

HI Darly, thanks for the sweet comment. I'm so glad you came by to visit.

Thanks Joanne, wow, we have the cake decorating in common. Thanks for the nice comment about the tatting. Send me another comment with your email address (and I won't publish it) so we can chat cake stuff, if you'd like.

NeereAnDear said...

I am so happy you stopped by.... I must tell you that your work .... I am in awe... it is so so stunning... every single piece has a personality of its own...

Just gorgeous!! Gorgeous!!

You have a very unique talent and gift...

And you are welcome... I am most happy to do the Tasha Tudor booklet... I am so glad that you signed it...will be open still for a couple more days... so do let your friends know if you get a chance

HUGS

JO

Singtatter said...

So interesting pieces! So cool!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

You are too amazing! Patriotic tatting! I'm so impressed. It really is beautiful.
I hope you had a happy holiday!
Becky

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, Jo, from Neereandear. I enjoyed reading your comment. So appreciative of your kind words.

Thanks, Singtatter, so glad you stopped by! Thanks for the comment.

Hi, Becky. Thanks. I hope you enjoyed your weekend. It's good to "see" you back.

Barb said...

Hi there,

Thanks for stopping by. That was a good verse for kicking off the month of July.

many hugs,
Barb

Attic Clutter said...

Love that heart just too cute (:)

hugs Patty

Unknown said...

Yes, that was a lovely verse, Barb.
:)

Thanks Patty from Attic Clutter.

Fete et Fleur said...

These are great! I have always loved antique tatting. I wonder if I could learn to do this? I hope you had a wonderful 4TH.

Blessings!
Nancy

Lace hearts said...

So, so cute - absolutely love it. I just can't wait to see what you come up with each time. You get better and better!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, Nancy from Fete et Fleur. I appreciate the lovely comment, and yes, you absolutely could learn tat if you perservered.

Thank you, Lace Threads. You are so sweet!

Jessica Rodarte said...

You are so talented!! I love your projects! Your watermelon project is so yummy. :)

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, Kids Nappin'? I'm Scrappin'! You are such a sweetie. I'm heading over to your place right now.

Decor To Adore said...

The watermelon is so cute! How talented you are!

Anonymous said...

Heyy... nice! That was a good one! :-) Very creative of you. Unfortunately no watermelons here now. But I do have one or two boxes of oranges. A looot of potatoes too. Not the same? No?

Unknown said...

Thank you for your very sweet comment, Laura Ingalls Gunn.

LOL, Verito! You make me laugh, girlfriend! Have fun with your oranges and potatoes. You're having your winter there wayyyyyyyyy down there in the southern part of the planet, aren't you?

Anonymous said...

I love that Libery Bell. What a great find!