Sunday, April 13, 2008

Friendship is the Blossom of One's Heart

Hello everyone out there in tatting blogger-land. I just wanted to say thank you for being so welcoming to a fairly new blogger. I've only been blogging for just over 2 weeks and already I feel like I've made some new friends. So, as a way to say "Thank You" I am posting a pic of one of my favorite tatted heart patterns.

This particular heart pattern is from an old Workbasket (Feb 1985 - a reprint from an older Workbasket). I did it in DMC cotton perle size 12. I did a bunch of these so I could practice doing the Magic-Thread technique to hide the ends. My tatting pal, Doretha Albee, taught me how to do it. I sometimes like to put this heart on the front of a card to give to a friend. So this is my "card" to all of you.
Here are my favorite friendship sayings that go well with this heart/flower pattern.


"Friendship is the blossom of one's heart."


"If friends were flowers, I'd pick you."


"If friends were flowers, then I'd say, 'I really cherish my bouquet'."


"Friends are the flowers in the garden of life."


Thank you all for being so friendly to me. I'm really glad I started blogging about my favorite hobby. As always, your comments are welcome and don't forget to do the poll at the bottom of the page.








28 absolutely fabulous things were said:

Melissa said...

Awwww Love the heart!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks Melissa :) You are definitely one of those people that has made me feel welcome.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

The heart is adorable! I wish I had a collection of Workbasket magazines... I'm not sure where I'd put them, though.

Singtatter said...

Nice work! So this heart is from an old Workbasket. I love this heart too - sweet pattern and so many possible colour combinations. I tatted this once as a practice piece with hook, it should be somewhere in my Flickr photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/8463498@N02/ under the album Cro-tat.

So both are us are new bloggers! Love your blog, it has a refreshing look.

Marilee Rockley said...

This is a lovely heart pattern that I happen to have tatted as well! I did mine in white, back in the day...
I've enjoyed reading your comments, and glad that you are having fun blogging. Tatters are such a nice, friendly bunch.

Unknown said...

Diane, Thank you. I am fortunate with storing my grandmother's vintage workbaskets (mostly 1940's to 1960's) in that they are in a beautiful handmade jointed wooden box that my grandfather custom made to keep them in and they keep perfectly.It's very special to me.

Thanks, Singtatter. I checked out you pic on flicker. Wow, it looks like someone converted that pattern to a cro-tat pattern. That looks cute. Cro-tatting sure has a more padded look to it, doesn't it?

Thank you, Yarnplayer. Yes, I am having fun blogging. I've done that heart in white as well. You're right about tatters being friendly. It's nice.

Jessica Rodarte said...

Hi Shannon,
What a pretty pattern! I have to tell you that I love the idea of mixing your craft with mine. Wouldn't a pattern like this look so pretty in a scrapbooking album? :)

Unknown said...

Hey Jessica,
Thanks for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you. Yes, I have often thought about scrappin' with bit's o' tatting. Even an edging would make a great border on just the right page. Especially something like your "So Shabby, So Delicious" post on your blog. Tatting can even be done with those beautiful tear-drop style beads you used on the ribbon on one of the pages.

Kathy Raker said...

Love the heart! I can only needle tat at the moment, maybe some day I can tackle the shuttle.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am new to blogging too.

Kathy Raker said...

I forgot, I wanted to mention your ornaments are lovely too. The egg is so cute.
I noticed in one of your other comment section you came instructions to Carol about a title in her comment secion, mine doesn't have a title either but I do have a title in my original post. I wonder what we do different????

Unknown said...

Thank you for you kind comments, Kathy. I remember your blog; you tatted a teeny tiny little basket. As far as the title for posts on your blog goes. If you and Carol do not have a field for a title above the main body of your posting section maybe your blogs are older and blogger hadn't developed that feature yet. Otherwise, just remember to fill in that field. What do you think? Does your blog have that field available when posting?

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

It's wonderful! Thank you and we are sooo happy that you are here!

Kathy Raker said...

I just figured it out. I set my comment page to pop up. I just switched it back to no pop up and the title is there now. Maybe Carols is set up that way also.

Susanne said...

Thanks for the card with the very nice heart you've mailed the tatting world. We are happy to have you among us tat bloggers too.

Unknown said...

AWWWWW Shucks! Thanks Sherry and Suzanne. That's so sweet of you both to say. I'm so glad to be here, too.

Hi Karen, I'm glad you figured it out. Thanks for telling me.

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

I love this Workbasket Heart too! I have made it many times. I have given all but one heart away. I'll have to find mine to post too. Your heart is lovely!
Happy Tatting!

Unknown said...

Carol, I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for your kind comments. I would love to see a post of the heart you tatted on your blog. Apparently, this is a very popular pattern as I've heard from at least 3 other people that they have done it and I think I saw it on Kersti's slideshow on eTatters.

About your blog post titles, Kathy said (in a comment above) she fixed it with undoing her pop-up blocker on the site. I don't know how it works or if it would help. Maybe you could contact her on her blog and she might help you solve the problem. I hope! :) Have a beautiful day. Please, drop by anytime.

Bonnie said...

What a pretty heart! I'm so glad that you joined the tatting blog ring. You are very lucky to have all those old Workbaskets magazines.

zarina said...

I too would like to welcome you to this wonderful blog ring. You meet many people to share our passion. And thanks for dropping by.

I too like to make small motifs for greeting cards.

Ais said...

Wow, again!! TattingChic.. your tatting is really beautiful and you made me feel really welcome to Tatting Blogworld too. Hmm... I guess I'll be making you a card too.:)

Unknown said...

Thank you, Bonnie, yes, I do count myself fortunate to have the old Workbaskets...musty smell and all. LOL!

Thanks for the comment, Zarina, right, you do meet a lot of people who share the passion for tatting. It's terrific!

Thanks, Ais, I'm glad you're learning to tat and that you feel welcome. Those are both very good things.

Grizzly Mountain Arts said...

That heart is so sweet! I love the colors too! I really enjoyed reading your blog. Thanks so much for visiting ours!

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

I don't have your e-mail address, but I wanted to let you know I figured out how to get the title on my posts. There was a setting that I had to change to yes to allow blogger to put the title bar on the posts. So problem fixed!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Grizz... I'm glad you liked the heart. Thanks for stopping by. You guys certainly have a lot of neat stuff over at your site.

Carol, I'm so glad you solved "The Case of the Missing Post Title" mystery. I'm sure others who have theirs missing,too, but just can't admit it will be checking out fixing theirs as well...lol
If you want to leave me your email in the comment section, I can email you back and then 'REJECT' the comment with the email in it so it stays private info.

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello from a beginning tatter. your tatting is gorgeous and I especially love your flower tatted heart. I am just learning and finding it a challenge but I will not give up. vbg Your blog is lovely and welcome to blogging. I have just been blogging for 9 months and I love it. Hugs Judy

Unknown said...

Thank you, Judy, for your very kind comments. I love the name of your blog it's very cute and your stitching is spectacular. Keep on Tatting. There are a lot of beginners out there. I recommend you join eTatters (there's a badge with a link on the side bar of my blog) They have a lot of helpful links and resources for newbies. Don't give up! Thank you for the welcome to blogging. I love blogging, too. It's so cool!

Lynn Majidimehr said...

Beautiful heart! You're inspiring me to get back to tatting as a take along project.

Unknown said...

Oh, Yes, Lynn Majidimehr, tatting is a wonderful take along project. So little it fits so nicely it a small bag tucked away in your purse. I just use a regular clean sandwich baggie, the ziploc kind (it works perfectly and you can see it easily) It's great for waiting for your doctor's appointments or whatever.
I'd love to see your tatting on your blog. I wonder how long ago you did it and for how long?