Thursday, April 17, 2008

Tatting is the Lace of Angels


I mentioned once before that I saw tatting for the very first time when I was three years old. My sister tatted as I sat entranced that she was making the most beautiful stuff I had ever seen with her hands and a funny little "tool" that had thread coming out of it. I thought that, surely, if angels made lace this would be it. Something about the gorgeous, light, airy lace seemed to transcend reality for me at such an impressionable age. It's stunning beauty appeared almost ethereal to me. In my 3 year old mind I figured maybe that's how angels got their wings...they tatted them..."Yes!" I thought, "surely this must be so." Perhaps this explains my unending desire to marry the concept of tatting and angels. It's apparent in this ornament I made years ago which you see above.



I even have enough victorian style angel cards and another doily to make another one so I could have two such ornaments, but somehow, despite my love of both tatting and angels I cannot bring myself to cover another doily. I mean, that was a lot of work at the time I made it. So, there the other one sits all beaded and ready to go and be part of something larger...and yet, it's just right in and of itself.






It's made of size 20 thread and is part of a larger oval doily design that I stopped short and added beads on the last round of my choosing to make an edging for the angel ornament. If you're thinking it looks christmas~sy...you're right, it is...but as far as I'm concerned angels are a good thing to have year round. One cannot have too many angels out and about.
Speaking of being out and about, thank you for stopping by my blog today while you were visiting in the land of zeroes and ones.
Don't forget the poll at the bottom of the page and I really enjoy each and every comment that you leave.


Some roses a nice friend gave to me today...I thought I would share with you.
I wish the internet had scratch n' sniff cuz their fragrance is lovely.


19 absolutely fabulous things were said:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I love your angel ornaments! I'm kind of surprised you didn't tat little collars to go around each of your roses... wouldn't that be special! ; )

Unknown said...

LOL...I'm not sure the roses would live long enough for each one of their collars to be tatted, Diane, but wouldn't that be something?

Marilee Rockley said...

The doily, angels, and roses are all beautiful! Such lovely thoughts, well expressed - you are a very good writer as well!
Tattingchic, thank you for all the sweet comments you've been making on my blog as you are discovering the older posts.

Susanne said...

It looks lovely with those beads on the little doily or motif, very cleverly done.
The roses are so beautiful, what a nice friend to have.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Yarnplayer, I do love to write. I write short stories and poetry so I thought a blog would be good "exercise"...LOL.
I have had fun exploring your blog and my comments are meant in the most sincere way.

Susanne, I appreciate your stopping by and commenting. Yes, I am fortunate to have a nice friend. The roses were given as encouragement as I have had a run of unfortunate circumstances recently and things are finally looking up. Thank heavens.

Jane Eborall said...

Very pretty. Love your work. I have an angel somewhere which is waiting to go on my web site. You've reminded me - thanks!!!
JaneEb

Unknown said...

It is always nice when a friend remembers you with a gift of flowers. Keep on Tatting.

Bonnie said...

Your roses are lovely. As is your tatting! I like the beads on it.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the compliments, Jane. I'm so glad you stopped by my blog. I'm looking forward to your post of your angel. I'm so glad my blog could come in handy that way (as a reminder).

Clyde, thank you for stopping in. You're right about friends remembering with flowers, it IS nice.

Thank you for your kind comments about my tatting, Bonnie. We can so often be our own worst critic. The roses are fully open now and starting to wilt.I'm glad I took the photo when I did.

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

Your angels with tatting behind them are adorable. What a perfect combination, tatting and angels. Do you have Mark Myers Book "Tatting Gathering of Angels" or Monica Hahn's "Christmas Angels & Other Tatting Patterns". Both books have some very pretty Angels.

Unknown said...

LOL...I do, Carol, I have both of those books and more on tatted angels. It's ridiculous. Thank you for your very sweet comments.

Ais said...

Beautiful Roses... reminds me of the roses bushes I had two years ago. They were that exact same colour and I had white, pink and some little miniature roses too. We went on a vacation and the person who was to take care of them...didn't really care for them. They had died off when we returned two months later. :(

I made a card for you.:) Check out my blog.

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

What a beautiful post Shannon! You have a lovely way with words and the tatting is gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Ais, the little flower you made me is so cute. I was very touched. I'm sorry to hear about your lovely roses passing away. :(

Sherry, thank you so much for your very nice comment. I have a confession to make...I keep checking your etsy shop every couple of hours to see if you have any shuttles left...lol? Well, do you?

Kathy Raker said...

Your angel ornament is adorable, as well as your doily and love the roses. On my blog you asked about the "board". It is the HGTV Quilting and Needlework forum. Just recently a topic was started about tatting, it has been mostly about needle tatting. As most do not know how to shuttle tat. There are a few that can shuttle tat and they have posted some pictures of their work. Of course those of us who can only needle tat would love to learn how to shuttle tat as well. Maybe someday! We need to find a good source of instructions.

Unknown said...

Kathy,
Thank you for your lovely compliments. I'm so glad you stopped by.
Some of the ladies from my lace guild who also tat recommend the book "Fancy Pants" for beginners who want to learn shuttle tatting. It has a lot of photos in it. One of the places it's available is Handy Hands Tatting. There is a link on my side bar under "Tatting Merchants".

Kathy Raker said...

Thank you for the book suggestion. I will mention it to the others on the quilting/needlework board.

Sarah said...

The tatting dollies are so sweet and I can "smell" those beautiful roses! Lovely!
Sarah
http://vintagelily.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Unknown said...

Cool, Kathy!

Sarah, Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are so sweet as is your blog.