Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Card For Friendship and Putting My Bookmark to Good Use

Back in April I did a post on how grateful I am for my blogging pals online. Yes, that means you, silly! I believe the post was called Friendship is the Blossom of One's Heart and I expressed my gratitude for all the wonderful welcoming people in the blogging world. In it I mentioned how I like to take that same tatted heart motif and put it on handmade cards.

Yesterday I found one of those handmade cards!
Here it is!
This is the outside of the card.

This is what is looks like on the inside of the card when you open it up.


Yes, I do calligraphy. I only know how to do Italics.
I used to babysit for an art professor and I wanted to learn
calligraphy so badly she exchanged private
calligraphy lessons for babysitting when I was 14 years old.
She would probably cringe if she saw my calligraphy now...LOL!
So, that was my handmade friendship card.
Speaking of friends, it looks like everyone had a fabulous Fourth
of July celebration with their fam and friends from what I read in their blogs.
Last week on the Fourth, I cut my thumb whilst preparing dinner for friends.
I haven't felt much like tatting
(as it's my left thumb and it's right where you have to pinch the knots
to keep them from switching back or sliding out of place).

In order to keep myself entertained I decided to put

my new tatted bookmark that I got last month

to use. I started reading a good book I'd like to share with you.

It's called French by Heart,

by Rebecca Ramsey.

She has a wonderful blog called Wonders Never Cease.

Almost everyday she has a new, funny, and heartwarming

post for you to read. I love it.

You might love it, too.


This is what the book looks like.
See my little bookmark peeking out at you?
Those are tatted maltese rings by Karin, you know.

It's a very candid look at a family's sojourn to France from
the South, here in the USA, and
how they lived there for a number of years.
It's quite a cute story told from Rebecca's point of view.
It made me laugh and cry. I loved it.

Let's see where I'm at in the book...


...all done, see?




Thanks for letting me share my handmade card and lovely book find with you. I appreciate your visits and would love to know what you have to say. Have a wonderful weekend and even better week!
Au revoire!
Did I say that right, Becky?
TattingChic :)

63 absolutely fabulous things were said:

Lace hearts said...

Oh, such a lovely post, as always. It's a joy to read your posts. I love your card, and the writing is very special. I've popped the book on my (ahem, long) list. x

Melissa said...

Awwww Mannnnnn a injury to the important tatting spot!!! Icky! Hope it gets better fast! Oh you know a book that I just LOVE LOVE LOVE it's called The Amethyst Heart by Penelope J. Stokes
http://www.amazon.com/Amethyst-Heart-Penelope-J-Stokes/dp/0849942357
It's one of those books where you feel like you personally know the main character and her family and you are sad to be at the end. You laugh and cry and everything in between! I can't say how much it is my favorite!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Lace Threads. Your comment is so sweet and I really appreciate your visits.

Hi Melissa! Thanks for sharing about the book. I'll have to check it out. So nice of you to leave a link to it. The cut is healing nicely. It doesn't hurt anymore and I just want to give it a bit more time so I don't irritate it, you know?

Melissa said...

Awesome, If you do end up reading it let me know...I just may have to read it another time through! LOL Never get tired of that book!

Tara said...

I'm so sorry about your injury. I did something like that a year ago. I think not being able to tat bothered me more than the injury. Hope it gets better soon! Lovely card! I'll have to check out that book. It sounds lovely!

Unknown said...

I just might get that book when I go out for errands later today, Melissa.

Hi Tara, thanks for visiting. Oh, it's not a bad injury by any means, yes, it's just the not being able to tat. I think almost anywhere else might have been okay to tat with...LOL!

Gina said...

The daisy heart is one of my favorites and it looks super on the card!
:_) gina

Kathy Raker said...

I would pad that sore spot with quilt batting and wrap it with a bandaid and get right to it. :)
Hope it heals quick. Love the little heart card. Is it hard or easy?

NeereAnDear said...

Well goodness.. no fun having an injured thumb... but then again sometimes its nice just to have a break and relax... enjoy your book...

HUGS
AND
CIAO FOR NOW!!

JO

Unknown said...

Thank you, Gina. I've seen that daisy heart pattern on quite a few blogs and stuff on the net. It's quite a popular pattern.

Thank you for the well wishes and the tip, Kathy. I think I've tried tatting with a bandaid there before and what happened was the thread rubs agains the adhesive and then the thread tends to get soiled very easily where the adhesive was...so I just don't tat...LOL! It was nice to take a break and do some reading for a change. That doesn't happen very often. :)

Yes, Neereandear, it was nice to take a break and do something different from my usual routine. I used to be such a bookworm as a teenager, but not now! LOL!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post!! Enjoy your rasberry Italian soda!! I have my piece of tatting you made me on one of my own birdie pincushions. I love it! Laurie

Unknown said...

OH! OH! OH! I was hoping you would put that little tatted heart on one of your beautiful pincushions! I wanna see! I wanna see! Can I see it? LOL!
So glad you stopped by, Laurie!

rochambeau said...

Your handmade card and calligraphy looks great TC! Glad to hear you are enjoying Rebecca's book. Her blog is great too!

xox
Constance

Susanne said...

Hopefully that finger will soon allow you to tat again. It is true, tatting with a bandaid is no good at all.
Lovely heart and card, I know that calligraphy is so hard to do.
The colourful frontpage of the book puts one in a very good mood.
You have a great weekend too.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Thank you so much for stopping by. Your tatting is lovely! So wonderful that someone keeps that craft alive!! Hope you stop by again! Happy weekend.

Unknown said...

Yes, Constance, isn't Becky's blog and book fun? Thanks for visiting.

Hi Dantatter, thank you for your nice comments. I think the cover of the book is rather cheery, too!

Ceekay, thank YOU for stopping by. I hope you come again. Thanks for the nice comment.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Tattingchic, you just made my day! And my weekend! How kind of you to mention my book and blog. And I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Sending a book into the world is a little like sending a child into the world. You know and love it more than anyone, and you hope the rest of the world enjoys it too-- and sees the love that went into it!
Give yourself a hug for me!
Becky

Joanne Kennedy said...

What a cute card! How sweet of you to share it with us.

Hugs,
Joanne

Unknown said...

Becky! I'm so glad you saw my post. Yes, what's not to love about your book? It's wonderful. I'm sure it does feel like sending a child out into the world. A lot of work and love went into it and it shows. You deserve to have some of it come back to you. ((hugs))
:)

Awwwww...Thanks, Joanne. It's my pleasure to share my card with you.

Barb said...

Hi Tatting Chic,

I'm sorry to hear about your thumb but it gave you a chance to put your bookmark to good use. I loved Becky's book. I found it last year at B&n and it just jumped off the shelf at me.

Your card is lovely. You are a lady of many talents.

hugs,
Barb

Andrea said...

I may just have to read it~ Sounds like a great book with a great tatting bookmark inside! CUTE!

Unknown said...

Hi, Barb. Thank you for your well wishes. Wow, so you bought Becky's book without knowing her through her blog first? That's pretty cool.

Yes, Vintage Paper Bella ~ Andrea, you might just like the book. It's sweet and she makes you feel right at home in her life in France.

Just Between Us Girls said...

Dear Melissa,
So sorry you injured your thumb. I hope you make a rapid recovery.
Thank you for the sweet comments in my blog and thank you for your blog and sharing your photographs and intersting comments about the book. I love tatted work and I am so happy your are still tatting. It is an incredible art form and one I never want to see lost. Have a lovely Sunday.
Pat

Unknown said...

Hi Tattingchic, sorry to hear about your thumb and you not being able to tat but you are doing my second most favorite thing to do and relax. That is taking the time to enjoy a good book. There is nothing like a well written book to take you away from your main concerns and put you in another world to laugh cry and enjoy. Hope that thumb is better soon. Clyde

Just Between Us Girls said...

Good Morning again Melissa,
Just one more thing. Yesterday I purchased an incredible linen runner with the most wonderful tatting. I think I will list it on my selling blog. Thought you would enjoy seeing it. I will do it in the next few days. Thank you so much for returning the visit. I really admire your work.
Happy tatting to you.

Unknown said...

Hi Pat, thanks for both of your very sweet messages and I'm flattered that you think I'm Melissa as she is an extremely talented gal, however, I'm not Melissa. I don't use my first name online. I only go by TattingChic.
I will most certainly check your site for your runner! I'm sure now that your comment is made I'm not the only person who collects tatting that will go check it out! Thanks for the heads up.

Thank you Clyde, I'm sure I'll be tatting next week...LOL! It is nice to read isn't it? Thanks again for your comment.

Tattycat said...

Reading your posts are like taking a journey with you. You could probably write a book of your own! The card is very pretty and the caligraphy is nothing to be ashamed of. I wish I could do that! I think your teacher would be proud. I'm going to have to look for that book.

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi! So glad you stopped in for a visit to my blog! You have such a nice and pretty blog! Hope your finger is better soon! ~Rhonda :)

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post! I just love the card, it is beautiful and what a special keepsake to whomever receives it! Beautiful calligraphy too. I have always wanted to do that :)

Hugs,
Amy

Unknown said...

Thank you, TattyCat! You are so sweet. I am going to refrain from dissecting the calligraphy problems for you...LOL, but thanks for all the nice things you had to say.

Hi Rhonda from Scooterblu's whimsey. THanks for your nice comment. I appreciate it.

Welcome back, Amy!It's always nice to "see" you. I always enjoy your comments.

Celestina Marie said...

Oh my, so sorry to hear that you hurt your thumb. Hope it heals fast and you feel better soon. Your handmade card is fantastic. Just love it! Also the book looks like it would be great. Thank you for sharing. I always enjoy your posts and blog so much, and look forward to visiting. Have a great afternoon!
Hugs to you!
Celestina, la rea rose

K.C. said...

I LOVE LOVE that card! To get a handmade card is the ultimate compliment. To get a card is big, but to get one handmade is just over the top...

What a great inspiration....

Kayce

Unknown said...

Thank you Celestina Marie, and likewise, I enjoy your blog and visits, too.

Thank you so much Kayce. I really appreciate your sweet comment.

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

I LOVE the card Chiclet! Your handwriting is lovely.
I tried my hand at calligraphy but it didn't help. Not only do I have the handwriting of a dude...but a Doctor dude at that!

Unknown said...

LOL...so what you're saying, Lady Shuttle Maker, is - no one can read your hand writing? You are soooo funny. I can really appreciate the doctor's handwriting joke.

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

So sorry you cut your finger. Thanks for missing me. I will get a post up this week. I have been enjoying summer and have been visiting blogs, but not been very good at posting! Love your post and that card is GREAT!

Elisadusud said...

Bonjour et merci de ta visite. J'aime aussi beaucoup ce que tu fais, et tes cartes sont bien jolies.. Amicalement,

Ais said...

Hi Tatting Chic,
I am sorry for the late reply. You can change the comments to 'Smile/whatever' in the layout section of your account. These are the steps:

1. Log in to your account.

2. Click on Layout

3.On the Add and Arrange Page Elements section you will find BLOG POSTS, YOur SIDEBAR, HEADER, NAVBAR, FOOTER etc and they all have an edit which you can click. Find the edit on the Blog Post box.

4. Click the edit on the BlogPost and a new window will open up

5. You can decide the number of posts on the main page here, then you can select how you want the time, the date, your sign and comments. you can also arrange your posts and other stuff at the end.

Okay hope this helps... the card is beautiful...bye

6. Save every thing.

Tracy said...

Hi, Tattingchic! That card is sooo, sooo lovely! And I'm impressed with your calligraphy. I love calligraphy, and have tried it off & on...mostly off now, as pc use seems to be eradicating and spoiling my handwriting in general--LOL! Sweet bookmark...and that books sounds just up my street too! Always so many goodies to see here...Happy week, my friend ((HUGS))

Unknown said...

Merci Beaucoup, Elisadusudetsesnavettes! :)

Hi Ais, wow, thanks for all that info. I...um...already know how to do all of that though, but thank you for all that effort to give me that info, what I was wondering is how to change the word "comments" to something else like you have the word "smiles" on yours or some people have "people had this to say". Ah, well, I'll figure it out sooner or later. Thank you.

Hi Tracy, it's so nice to have you back from your trip to London. Ya know, I too hardly ever do calligraphy anymore as I LOVE using all kinds of fonts on the PC, too. You could even say I'm a font-a-holic of sorts...LOL! ((hugs)) back to you!

Rosemary said...

So sorry that you cut yourself.
I read that book a couple of months ago, and I loved it.
Rebecca is a great writer, and I love her blog.
Have a great day!
Rosemary

Ais said...

just type ' smiles or whatever' in place of 'comments' in step 5

Singtatter said...

Love the card, I think hearts are always nice to be framed up or mounted on cards. Hope you thumb has healed by now.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Rosemary. Yes, isn't Becky's writing fun to read? Always a pleasure to have you come visit.

LOL!!! I finally got it Ais! Thank you! ;)

Thank you, Singtatter. Yes, hearts are pretty framed, aren't they? They are one of my favorite things to tat.

Sandra Evertson said...

So tiny and detailed and Lovely!
Sandra Evertson

Anonymous said...

Heyyy....... :-) Another talent you have? You've had some busy 14!

The card looks very nice (with all your personal touches).

Oh, and congratulations for
finishing your book... and this comes from someone who's uncapable of doing it. (Do you think a lovely bookmark would help me?)

Unknown said...

Thank you, Sandra Evertson, your comment means a lot coming from an extremely talented artist such as yourself.

Hi Verito! Sound like Yoda, do you? LOL!
I have a terrible habit of tatting a bookmark for a book I'm reading (to match the book, of course!) and then I don't finish the book! I guess it's a good thing it has a bookmark, then! Becky's book was a rare exception since I finished it...LOL! You're so silly. I'm glad you visited.

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful card.I love the tatting bookmark.my daughter Alexia from Genteel Poverty is learning that now.Call.writing looks very hard.I thought yours great.I'm sorry about your cut.Would you believe I'm writing this with both of my eyes swelled almost shut?I got into yellow Jackets,yesterday,got stung 3 times around one eye.Antway,I also wanted to thank you for your lovely comments on my blog .I added you to my link. Hugs Marie Antionette

vintage girl at heart said...

Lovely card and the bookmark is a work of art as always. Such a touching post!

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Hi Again Tat,Christmas Snow is still alive and fanning his beautiful feathers.No I didn't go to the Dr,The swelling is down alittle.Still sore,but I'll live..LOLMy hubby took care of the yellow Jackets, last nite.He poured gas down the hole.It will kill them Marie Antionette

Unknown said...

Hi Marie Antoinette, so sorry you got stung by yellow jackets, but I'm glad to hear that your facial swelling has decreased a little and that your hubby took care of the problems. Yes, I knew that the white peacock was alive, I was under the impression that you sold him so I assumed you missed him. I hope you'll be able to enjoy your lovely yard again, soon. Wow, your daughter is learning to tat? Send her on over!

Hi Vintage Girl at Heart! Such a nice comment, thank you.

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

I love your work! My mother used to do tatting back in the 50's when I was a little girl and it makes me happy to see it. It really looks tedious to me. I think you must be very talented to do it. May God bless you richly!

Natasha Burns said...

Oh what a lovely card! Your tatting is beautiful, I'm fascinated by how intricate and sweet it is! Loving the bookmark that you have now put to good use! Hope that thumb is feeling better soon : (

Unknown said...

Hello, Nana Trish, I'm glad that looking at the tatting brings back pleasant memories. Yes, I believe that I have read that tatting had a resurgence of popularity in the 1940's - 1950's. I have some wonderful vintage tatting pattern books from that time period. Thanks for visiting.

Thanks for your comment and well wishes, Natasha Burns. My thumb is healing very nicely, thanks. I'll be tatting again in no time! :)

Anonymous said...

LOL Very funny. :-P I enjoy visiting your blog.

Karen ~ Cider Antiques said...

Such a lovely post! The cards are gorgeous. Thank you so much for the Thank you card you send me and the lovely pink tatting. I will have to do something equally creative with my gift. I will let you know :)

Hope you are feeling better soon xoxoxo

Karen at Ciderantiques

CIELO said...

Your're so right--friendship is sometimes better than family... and thanks for stopping by my house in the roses; please come back again. So nice meeting you

cielo

Unknown said...

Glad to have you back, Verito.

Hi Karen, I'm so glad you got the thank you card. I am enjoying my giveaway gift.

Hi Cielo, I will be back to visit your lovely site. You are welcome back, anytime, too!

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi and thanks for sharing such great things with us today! The bookmark is so lovely and I will check out the book and the blog, sounds good! Hope your boo-boo thumb heals quickly!
Hugs, Sherry

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Hello my little Chic -Dee..LOL,You may ignor this,I see you already have awards and been tagged.I was the other day,by the Ladies historical Tea Society,Since I'm new,and you are one of my faves.I choose you.Just like you said,take it as a compliment from one of your fans.I quite understand. Hugs Marie Antionette
PS,I will be posting something new in a couple of days...I hope

Loving Her Beautiful said...

Hi!
Thanks for your recent note on my blog -- I'm glad you enjoyed it!Your card is beautiful, and my wife and I loved that book, too.
Blessings, BILL

Fete et Fleur said...

This is a wonderful book. One of my favorites and I absolutely love her new blog!

Nancy

P.S. You did see some tatting!;~)

Unknown said...

Thank you, Marie Antoinette, I appreciate your award and tag. I'll add your name next to my award I already have. Thank you for your kind words and your understanding that I have already been tagged recently. I appreciate that.

Thank you for your comment, Bill from Loving Her Beautiful. Isn't it a nice book? It's an easy, pleasant read. I did enjoy that post you did about "5 phrases you will never hear from a guy"...that was funny.

Hi, Nancy from Fete et Fleur. I'm so glad you stopped by. What's not to love about the book, aye? Cool, I'm glad to see you have some tatting. I'd love to see more if you have it! Can you tell I like tatting? Can ya? Can ya?