Sunday, September 28, 2008

More Leaves Have Fallen...

.
.
.
f
r
o
m
.
m
y
.
s
h
u
t
t
l
e
.





Not exactly E. E. Cummings, is it? LOL!
That's okay, this post isn't about
poetry, anyway!
It's about LEAVES;
AuTuMn LeAvEs!!
More specifically,
TaTtEd Autumn LEAVES!!!



No real autumn leaves were
harmed during the making of this blog post.



~*~



Let me introduce you
to the latest
tatted autumn leaves
to fall from my shuttle.
First we have Mr Oak Leaf.
He is also known as
Motif # 17 Tatted Oak Leaf
He is tatted from the "Oak Leaf" pattern
in the book
by Karey Solomon.

.

.

.

.

.

.





Featured
here
is his
stem
which is
tatted
with a
"Spiral
Josephine
Chain".
See the spiral?

This is made by

tatting the first half

of the Double Stitch

over and over.

If the second half

of the Double Stitch

is tatted it will

spiral the other way!

~*~



Next,
I'd love to introduce you to
Miss Autumn Leaf.
Isn't she pretty?
She also has an alias
which is:



Motif # 18 Tatted Autumn Leaf
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.



She has a Spiral Josephine Chain
for a stem, see? It is spiraling
the opposite way of the other one.
How did I do that?
***
Miss Autumn Leaf
hails from LadyShuttleMaker's Blog.
You can access her pattern


~*~



This one is
Mademoiselle Maple Leaf.
Today she is going
to be known as

Motif # 19 Tatted Maple Leaf
Mlle. Maple Leaf is from a
Feb. 1975 Workbasket Magazine
that Tammy Rodgers
revised the pattern for.
Her pattern is available
online for free.
Click here to access that
if you would like to tat her!







Her
Stem
is made
from a
Tatted
Zigzag
Josephine
Chain.
See
how it
zigzags
instead
of
spirals?








Well, maybe you kind of can.
This is actually the back
of a zigzag jospehine chain...oops!
You can get the idea near
the top of the stem where you
can see the "zigzag" more clearly.

~*~
Here we have
THE ONE & ONLY
Mulberry Leaf.
Why do I say
"ONE & ONLY"?
Because I will probably
NEVER tat this
one again.
It is also known as
"The Leaf Pattern from H-E-_-_"
LOL, just kidding!
It's the...
Motif # 20 Tatted Mulberry Leaf
This one is also
from the book
"Tatting Turns Over A New Leaf"
by Karey Solomon.
Notice that I don't
have a cute gender label on this leaf
as I do the other leaves.
It's not it's fault, tho'
it's just that the pattern was very
challenging to tat...LOL!
I'm lucky that
my shuttles and I
got through it!
Yes, I said shuttles,
THREE of them.
This was a
3 shuttle pattern.
It had tatting techniques
featured in it such as...

..."Pearl Tatting".
You can see what pearl
tatting looks like in
this closeup of
the tatted mulberry leaf's stem.
Yes, you do flip the Double Stitches
in regular pearl tatting.
























Here is a closeup
of some more
of the pearl tatted
chain in the top
part of the leaf.
Stitches were
flipped in this
part of the leaf
as well.







Flowing through the center
of the left and right parts
of this leaf are more
Pearl Tatted Chains.
This closeup is of the left
part of the leaf.
What you see in the middle
of this leaf is
more pearl tatting.
In the right and left
parts of this leaf's
pearl tatting chains
the Double Stitch is
NOT flipped.
The author calls this
particular method of Pearl Tatting
"Floating Pearl Chains."
Just so ya know!
(I've never heard it called that before.
I've heard it called a "Padded Tatting Cord".)

There is no striking visible difference
between pearl tatting that
has flipped or unflipped
Double Stitches.
Another technique used in this
It was my first attempt
at this particular kind
of very challenging
tatting technique!!!
WOO HOO!!!
I did my first
Split Chain Stitches!
Oh, did you think I was going
to show you a closeup
of THAT?
NO WaY!
;)


~*~
Ahhhh, and did you think I could
forget this guy?
I think that he and Mlle. Maple Leaf
would make a cute couple, don't you?

He was featured in a
previous post
so he already has
Motif # 16 assigned
to him for the
Here is a closeup of
one of his three
(Self Closing Mock Rings)
It's the one at the
top of the leaf pattern.










He also has the
Roll Stitch technique.
Here is a closeup of what
a Roll Stitch looks like.
It kind of looks
like it is spiraling
around the
core thread,
doesn't it?
See how there
are no ridges like
the "Spiral
Josephine Chain"?
That's because
it is
not made with
a Double Stitch.
It is just made by
winding the
"ball thread"
around the
shuttle thread
(or core thread).
~*~
.
~*~
All these leaves were
Tatted with Yarnplayer's
Sugar Maple HDT
(hand dyed thread)
size 20.
Wow, that was
a lot of tatting for one day,
wasn't it?
Yes, it was.
That's why I did it
in a week and a half,
instead.
;)

~*~

Thank you for stopping by and letting me share with you
what fell from my shuttle this week!
If you made it this far give yourself a pat on the back!!!
This was a llllloooonnnnggg one. It sure was fun to share
though. Thanks for being such great blogging buddies.
I look forward to visiting your blogs and seeing what you have to share.
Feel free to leave a comment as they are always welcome.
I love each and every one of them. You guys make my day!
Toodles,
~TattingChic

49 absolutely fabulous things were said:

Bonnie said...

TattingChic, you have been very busy. Your leaves are beautiful! How much HDT did it take you to make all of them?

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

They are all so beautiful, but the oak leaf is my favorite! My Grandpa Duffy used to visit is in Philadelphia (he lived in Bismarck, ND), and we would collect acorns for him so that he could try and grow oak trees. He was never successful in getting oak trees to grow, but we sure had fun helping him, and I developed a true love for the mighty oak!

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

Good Morning TattingChic,

Your tatted leaves are fabulous!! Thank you for posting about them and for putting all the links to the different techniques. I had not seen the page with the roll tatting before. You are almost done with your 25 motif challenge, good for you!! I have fallen behind, but I will catch up soon. I've been tatting again. I just need to take some pictures and post them now. Have a great day!

Katherine said...

I was really interested to see all the different techniques, and close up too!!
I am a bit nervous about challenging myself to try new techniques, and appreciate it when I can get a good look at how it *ought* to look.
So thanks for that!

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

I stoped by to see how you are doing.And you are a tatting away.More fall leaves i see.They are so beautiful.What are you going to do with them?Are you going to put them together and make something whole?That would be really beautiful.You have talented fingers my friend.XOXO Marie A.

Unknown said...

Well the Sugar Maple HDT is perfect for the leaves that you made. It is nice to see that you persevered through the tough patterns and ended up with some very nice looking leaves. Just wait till you see the one for the Celtic maple leaf that I made on the weekend. Now aren't you a little stinker leading us on to believe that you tatted all these leaves in one day when it took a week and a half. That is okay. I was going to say that if you tatted all those leaves in one day you must have figured out how to make a day 72 hours long. Keep on posting your blog is always a delight to read and very entertaining.

Susanne said...

Gosh, you are tatting up a storm - roflol, it is autumn and the season for those too. I can see that autumn have really come to your part of California.
And todays posting was so funny, it almost made the sun come out of hiding on a grey day.

Marilee Rockley said...

Wow, you are such a good teacher, tattingchic! All your leaves are so beautiful, and you've explained all the details so well. I simply have got to buy that book that the mulberry leaf is in. I grew up with several mulberry trees in my yard, and we even have them in the neighborhood where I am living now. It sounds like a real challenge, too!

Suzie said...

What great work. You've been a great bloggy buddy too thank you for your kind thoughts during B's illness.

Unknown said...

Hi Bonnie, good to see you again! Thanks for the nice comment. I used almost a whole 50 yard skein of size 20 HDT.

Oh, Diane, that is a sweet story about your Grandpa Duffy. I think you might like tatting the oak leaf pattern.

Hi Carol, thanks a bunch. I cannot believe I'm at Motif #20, wow! I've also learned quite a few things along the way!

Hi Snowy. Glad you liked the post and it is so kind of you to say my tatting is how it "ought" to look! LOL! Thank you very much! :)

Thanks you so much, Marie Antoinette! It's always such a pleasure to have you stop by!

Thank you for all your kind comments, Clyde. I'm glad you find my blog entertaining! That mulberry leaf about did me in!

LOL! Thank you, Dantatter. I'm so glad to make you chuckle. Not many leaves turning where I live. I have to tat them in order to have a little autumn color. :)

Hi Yarnplayer! The Mulberry Leaf is something I am proud to say I've tatted and good luck with it!!! It was a doozy! I have to say I had to open at least 10 closed rings due to mistakes on this pattern and I probably unpicked more stitches than I tatted...LOL! I have to tell you I was most impressed at how well your thread held up through it all. I do not recommend tatting this for the first time with HDT, but since you have some to spare, it might not matter with your stash! LOL! I'd love to see more of these leaves out there. If you need any help with the pattern let me know as it is written in a very confusing manner.

Hi Suzie, thanks for stopping by. I'm so glad that your Little B is doing better. I really am.

Marie Smith said...

Hi TattingChic! Your work is always so perfect. Isn't the split chain so easy now. I am happy you tried it. You will find yourself, like me, looking for places to use the method, now. All the leaves are beautiful. Is there any wonder that fall is my favorite time of the year?
Marie Smith

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

Those are so beautiful!! Makes me want to take up tatting! Except... I really don't need yet another hobby!

Marie Smith said...

With one of the pictures you asked how did you get the spiral of the Josephine to go in the opposite direction. If you use the first half only it will spiral in one direction. If you use the second half, it will go the opposite. I usually like to use the second half because it is faster. :-)
Marie Smith

Unknown said...

Hi Marie, thanks so much for visiting! I'm so glad that you came to visit. Thanks, again, for sharing your understanding of how to do a Split Chain Double Stitch so that it is so much easier and better looking, too!

Hi Karla, thanks for visiting and for your comment. I understand about the hobby thing, having a lot that I like to do, too!

LOL! Thank you Marie, that was a hypothetical question, actually, wherein I am asking the reader "How did I do that?" because in a previous photo I show the spiral going the other way and explain the direction of both DS, but yes, you got it right! Thanks for sharing that. I really don't know which one goes faster for me. I think it's whatever I'm in the mood to do. So glad you came to visit!

Jessica Rodarte said...

oh gosh, i'm sorry i had two tabs open and i left the wrong comment for you! *rolling eyes* please delete the other!!
what i wanted to say here, is cute leaves... *blush* but now i'm embarrassed...
he he.

Grizzly Mountain Arts said...

Those are gorgeous! The maple leaf is my favorite!

Unknown said...

MY GOODNESS!!!!!! Those are fabulous! How do you do that, it just looks so complicated! And so beautiful!

Hugs,
Amy

Unknown said...

LOL! That was funny, Kids Napping? I'm Scrapping! I was wondering what I had put glitter inside of...LOL! It's okay, it could happen to anyone. Glad you came to visit anyhoo!

Thank you, Grizzly Mountain Arts! I appreciate that sweet comment.

Hi Amy!!! How do I do it? I just tie little knots in the thread over and over, it's fun!
Thanks for the nice comment!

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

I LOVE this post Chiclet! Do you love Autumn as much as I do?????

For some reason my blogroll didn't update me on this blog....so finding it was kinda like a nice surprise.

Tracy said...

Hi, TattingChic! I don't know...I think e.e. cummings would approve ;o) LOVE all the new leaves--autumn captured in thread! Have you thought maybe putting these together into a very different kind of wreath to hang? I can see it... Happy Days, my friend ((HUGS))

Thimbleanna said...

Beautiful, beautiful leaves -- as always Ms. Chic!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you like the post, Lady Shuttle Maker! I had a feeling you would and I'm glad you found it even if blogger didn't update you on your blogroll.

Hi Tracy, thanks for visiting! I appreciate the nice comment. You have a great idea there. Actually, I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with them as decorating is on hold at the moment while other things get taken care of (like unpacking).

Hi Thimbleanna, thanks for the very sweet comment, as always! ;)

Tara said...

Love the leaves! I have been wanting to try the Myrtle Leaf but don't have any time to play at the moment. Looks interesting and you did a fabulous job! In fact I love all the leaves!

Tara

CIELO said...

They're all so pretty! Perfect for fall decorating....

cielo

Unknown said...

Hi Tara, it's always so nice to have you stop by! Thanks, looking forward to your tatting posts when you have more time.

Thank you, Cielo. It will be nice to decorate for fall when I get my house in order!

Bella Sinclair said...

I'm spinning! These leaves are heavenly! And you didn't even have to squash them flat in a book. I LOVE these little leaves. I'm sorry if you've answered this before, but how long does it take for you to finish one?

Rosemary said...

Wow, those leaves are amazing.
You are so talented!!
I like the Oak leaf, because we have so many oak trees here.
Have a great day!
Rosemary

Unknown said...

Hi Bella Sinclair, thanks a bunch for your nice comment! The leaves vary in time to make. For instance, the Mulberry Leaf took oveer 10 hours as it was a challenging pattern to understand and had a new technique I had not done (The split chain) which isn't told that's what you need to do in the pattern, you gotta know that, LOL!) The simple patterns like the one titled "Maple Leaf" and "Autumn Leaf" just took a couple of hours, maybe less, I'm a fast tatter, so for others it might take more, for some it might take less. :) Hope that answers your question.

Hi Rosemary! Glad to see you stop by! Glad you like the Oak Leaf. It's one of my faves, too. Thanks for the sweet comment!

Fete et Fleur said...

The silver leaf pattern is perfect! I'm hoping for some time to try my hand at this soon.

Hugs!
Nancy

Karen ~ Cider Antiques said...

Wow! You are so talented. Each leaf is so perfect. Just lovely!

Karen

Tattycat said...

Sorry I'm so far behind reading posts. Your leaves are to die for! You have done a beautiful job of tatting and the thread is lovely. I'm really impressed with all of the fall splendor on this blog!

Unknown said...

Hi Nancy, thanks for your nice comment! I think it would so cool for you to try tatting on for size!

Hi Karen, always nice to have you visit, especially when you leave such sweet comments! (hee hee)

Thanks Tattycat! So nice to have you come for a visit! I'm so glad you like the post. It's so wonderful to have the internet to be able to order these beautiful HDT's and have access to some free patterns online and "meet" wonderful other tatters such as yourself!!!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

What a leaf collection!
And you didn't even have to get out the wax paper and iron!
They are simply gorgeous!
Becky

Unknown said...

Hi Becky! Thanks for visiting! Nope, no wax paper...iron maybe...with a press cloth...but no wax paper! LOL! Come on over again soon! Love your posts!

Lisa Boni said...

These leaves are fabulous! Lovely work! And the colored thread is perfect for them!

Lace hearts said...

I think that leaves lend themselves to tatting beautifully, and the colours you are using are just so perfect. I love the twisting on the stems.

Unknown said...

Thank you for all your nice comments, Lisa. Hope to see you around again sometime soon!

Hi Lace Threads! Thanks for visiting. Isn't the thread beautiful...I'm not bragging because Yarnplayer actually gets all the credit for that. I bought it from her Etsy Shop of the same name.

Gina said...

Really beautiful work!..the colours a gorgeous..love the leaves so much! :D
Have a a lovely weekend Gx

Stephanie said...

Beautiful job, TattingChic. After seeing your previous post, I ordered Karey's book and some HDT. Just waiting on the mailman now!

Unknown said...

Hi Gina, thanks for visiting and leaving a such a nice comment! You have a great weekend, too.

Hi Steph, thanks for the sweet comment. It always means a lot when another tatter appreciate my work. Looking forward to seeing your leaves on your blog when your goodies arrive!

Veronica said...

Hi there,
I have no idea what tatting is. Haven't seen it before. BUT OH MY GOSH this is beautiful. Do you use a needle? a hook? whatever you use this is totally fantastic. I love it. Thank you so much for the loving comments you left about my canvas for my grandmother. Yes, I did do somewhat of a quilting technique with the paper. Your leaves would have been beautiful on it. Same color and everything...lol
Off to look at more of your past posts. Beautiful Blog
Take care
Veronica

Unknown said...

Hi Veronica! Thanks for stopping by. I use a tatting shuttle. If you want to see what a shuttle looks like just click on "tatting shuttles" under the "Labels" list on the bottom of the right sidebar. Have fun looking around and come back anytime!

Bella Sinclair said...

Hooooorayyyyyy for TattingChic's glorious leaves! Seeing you on Illustration Friday has made me smile BIG.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Bella, I appreciate the invitation to "Illustrated Friday - Strings". :)

Barbara Gordon said...

I so love your leaves and have just now posted an order for one of your books. I'm really into leaves right now and can't wait till I get the book! Beautiful work!

Aarti Badamikar said...

These are superb!!! Just loved them!!
I have just built some interest in tatting these days...ur blog is a true inspiration. :)

Unknown said...

Hi Barbara! Oh, you ordered Karey Solomon's book? That is nice. I'm sure she'll like that! I'm always glad to spur an interest in a tatting designer! Thank you for your sweet comments on the leaves I hope you enjoy making them. So sorry that my response to this comment is so late in coming.

Thank you, Aarti Badamikar. I am so glad you stopped by to visit. I also appreciate that you took the time to say such nice things! I hope you come back to visit often and I am glad to inspire an interest in tatting! There are some tatters from India I have "met" online! I hope you can connect somehow.

Rosie Redser said...

I LOVE your leaves. Just wondered if you would sell me one. Sounds a bit sad but my daughter died 15 years ago and someone gave me a card with her floating to heaven on it ! I'd like one as a keepsake of that to commemorate 15 years, as the colours and style are perfect. Would you be able to do that ? I live in London UK. Thanks. Judi

Rosie Redser said...

I did just leave a comments, but not sure if you got it and it disappeared so here it is again. LOVE your leaves and wondered if you'd consider selling one of the maple one to me, to commemorate 15 years of my daughter Stephanie's death ? I live in the UK (London)