Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Tatted Floral SCMR Bookmark

What do you do when you are not feeling well? Ya know, under the weather, ill in the gills, or however you express your feeling unwell. I tend to tat. I won't get into the details of my not feeling well, but it kept me from working.

:(
I really like my new job, too. It's something I can do while I'm not feeling well, however, today was just too much for me.

Anyway, in an effort to comfort myself from the stresses of life I tatted.



I've been wanting to make this
floral bookmark for sometime.
So I tatted it up today while
feeling icky.
Oh, hey! I can count this toward
my 25 Motif Challenge, I guess all is not lost
on this day!
Motif #12 Floral SCMR Bookmark
click on photo to enlarge.
~*~
It was designed by Jane Eborall;
a delightful tatting designer from Great Britain.
Kind of a technical name for such a lovely
pattern, aye?
It's the perfect pattern for
practising intermediate-advanced
tatting techniques such as
I tatted it up in these
Manuela threads.
More of the B-day stash...hee hee.
I had a bit of a
serendipitous experience
with them because I thought they were both size 20.
They were not.
The green was size 10.
Oopsy!
I have to say, sometimes
I purposely tat a project with 2
different sizes of thread
to give a certain lovely
textured element to a design.
For instance if I want one part
of the design to stand out more I'll
use the thicker thread (smaller numbered).
Or if I want one part to look especially delicate
I'll use the thinner (larger numbered) thread.
In this case it worked out okay.
If you do not tat and have been gracious enough
to read this far you may be thinking,
"what in the H___ is that TattingChic
talking about, SCMR and SR and
rings on rings? What is all that!?!"
Well, I'd love to give you a little
tatting tour if you'd like.
Ready?
Come with me
and I will show you.
~*~
The basic parts of a
tatting design are
rings
&
chains.
What are rings and chains, you ask?
Well, I'm about to show you.
:)
These, my friends
are your average,
garden variety
tatted rings.
Called "R" on a tatting pattern.
See the little bumps or ridges?
Those are "double-stitches".


This is a regular old, average
tatted chain.
Called "CH" on a tatting pattern.
See the little double-stitches?
They're also called "double knots" by some folks.

See, you're becoming an expert on tatting already!!!
Okay, now for the more advanced stuff.
Come back to me,
don't run off.
This will be painless.
I promise.
See how the rings above are all one color?
See the rings below?
They are of 2 colors.
Those are SR or "split rings".
Not all split rings are in 2 colors.
These are a good visual example.
See how they are rings, but "split"
by two different threads.


That was good, you did so well learning that!
Now this photo shows a
SCMR
or
"self closing mock ring"
It's a rather long name
for a chain that got tricked
into thinking it was
a ring.
In the picture below it's the big ring in the
center of the photo with
the three rings coming off
the top of it.
Very Good!




Now, one more thing!
What are those
"rings on rings"
that I mentioned?
Why, they're just the rings sitting
on top of that SCMR I just showed you!
That's all!
See how easy that was?
You were amazing!!!
Oh, I just loved teaching you all that.
This concludes our lesson....
...er.... I mean my blog post for the day.
Thanks for visiting my little corner of bloggerland! I always enjoy your comments. They mean so much!
Now, I'm hoping to get rid of this migraine. Thank you, I think this has been a good start! I am starting to feel better already.
See, blogging is like medicine...LOL!
Happy day and (((hugs)))!
TattingChic.
Edited 9/14/08: rec'd an email from someone today that the site Bookmark Collector featured this post on it's site under the heading "Make Your Own Bookmark". Thank you Bookmark Collector!

48 absolutely fabulous things were said:

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

TattingChic, So nice to see you posting again and I hope you are feeling better soon. I enjoy your posts so much. You have such a way with words. Thank you for being YOU!! The bookmark is lovely. Take Care! Carol

Karen ~ Cider Antiques said...

Hey tattingchic, I think the end of August caught a lot of us by surprise. There seem to be a lot of sick bloggers this week. My son actually missed the first day of school due to a bike riding mishap (10 stitches ~ ouch).

I hope we are all feeling better soon and thank you for the visual tatting lesson :)

Karen xoxo

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I love reading your posts... they always bring a smile to my face! I'm glad you like your new job... always a plus! I hope you're feeling better soon!

Tat-a-Renda said...

Wonderful narration! I enjoyed reading this, as I do with your previous posts too.

I am going to list this tour in my blog.

Unknown said...

Hi Carol, thank you, it is nice to be posting again, however, I would've rather gone to work today instead. :(
Thank you for your nice comment! :)

Hello Karen from Cider Antiques. I'm so sorry to hear about your son. I hope his wound heals quickly. Thanks for the nice comment and well wishes.

Hi Lace-lovin' librarian - Diane! Oh, thank you, you're comment made me smile! :)


Oh, thank you so much, Jon! I'm so flattered coming from such a great tatting blogger as yourself! I don't know if you noticed, but I had linked back to your blog from the first mention of "split rings" in this post. It links to your pictorial tute of split rings, which I think is such an excellent demonstration of split rings!

Sapna said...

A clear instruction with a pinch of humor is just my style... Now I want to try our SCMR, Maybe I'll just take a cue from here. ;)

Bella Sinclair said...

Hello again, my tatting friend! I'm glad to see you're back, but I'm sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. Selfishly, though, I'm happy to see you've created some beautiful things in your downtime. And thanks for that eye-opening lesson. Whew! It just made me appreciate the complexity of tatting all the more.

And happy, happy, happy birthday to you! I'm glad you got yourself what you wanted. (For my birthday, my computer-happy husband got me a laptop instead of what I really wanted...art supplies. Not that I'm griping the laptop, though.) I can't wait to see what more you create. Feel better soon.

Tatskool said...

That was a super duper post,you must have put tatting possibilities into the minds of hordes of crafters.

Love the colours, must try the bookmark.

Bonnie said...

Your bookmark is lovely!

You did a wonderful job on your tatting lesson, thank you for sharing that.

I hope your feeling better.

Gina said...

what a delightful post! I hope you're feeling better because you certainly added a sparkle of feel-good for the rest of us!

:-) Gina

Unknown said...

Hi Sapna, thanks for stopping by again! I think that if you can figure out Iris Niebach's doilies you can figure out a SCMR for sure! I just recommend that if you are a tight tatter (which I am) you tat ever so slightly looser around the core thread on the chain that is going to become the SCMR. Trust me...grumble, grumble...LOL!

Hi Bella Sinclair! I'm so glad you stopped by for a visit. A laptop sounds like a fabulous gift for a b-day! I understand wanting art stuff, though. Well, I hope you do enjoy the laptop because it's a necessary evil for me to see your lovely posts of your whimsical drawings that I so enjoy! I know, selfish me!!! LOL!

Thank you, Tatskool. That is a nice thought. I would only hope to put tatting into the minds of hordes of crafters...hmmmm...wouldn't that be something to be able to do that for an art that has given me so much!

Thank you, Bonnie. I am glad you liked the tatting "lesson" I kinda snuck it in there, didn't I? I really didn't think that when I started to post, but I just felt inspired...or maybe it was whatever I took for my migraine...LOL! Just kidding.

Awwww...thank you, Gina. What a very sweet thing to say. I appreciate that!

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

Yay CHICLET! This is a fun post and the bookmark is soooooo beautiful! I can feel your energy through your post and it makes me so happy for you!

Watch out world! Tatting Chic is on her A-game! Whoo hoo!

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

...and p.s.


Feel better already....GEEZ! (I am talking to myself here as well!)

Unknown said...

Thanks so much, Lady Shuttle Maker! I appreciate your being my cheerleader! I can always use one of those! Yes, you get feeling better as well! ((hugs))!

Kathy Raker said...

Happy (belated) Birthday! I am sorry I missed it. What great gifts you bought. That's the kind of gifts I like too, fun stuff.
Lovely bookmark, I will have to print that one out and save it for when I master all those special tatting skills. I love it! It would make a very pretty edging on a cq block.
Glad to read you are feeling somewhat better.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Hey there! What a gorgeous bookmark. Your talent amazes me.

And I wanted to share a funny story. As we were going to bed last night I was talking to my husband about how much I'm loving the blogging thing, about my blog party, and my blogging friends, and he said, "But Beck, I don't get their names. Like that Tattling Chick. What does she call herself that? What does she tattle about?"
I burst out laughing and couldn't stop for two minutes. Then I explained and we laughed for another five! Oh men.
So Tattling Chick, I hope you have a great day!
Becky

Natasha Burns said...

Thank you for the tatting tour! Your bookmark could not possibly be more perfect, pink and green and flowery, just so lovely!
Thanks for stopping by today!
Natasha ; )

Unknown said...

Hi Kathy, good to see you again! Thanks for the nice comment. I'm glad someone understands my...ahem..."need" for tatting stuff...LOL!

ROFLOL, Becky! OMGoodness! That is so funny. "Why does she call herself that? What is she tattling about?" Oh, thanks for the good laugh. I really did LOL on that one!!! Thanks Becky AND Todd! ;)
signed,
~TATTLING CHICK~

Hi Natasha Burns, thanks so much for stopping by. I really appreciate the lovely comment and I'm glad you enjoyed the "tour".

Susanne said...

Lovely work as usual.
I hope the head is a lot better today, and yes tatting and blogging seems to be the right medicine.
I love the way you played with the words and the colours for them, and you were so good at explaining whar tatting is all about.
Great message today, TattingChic.

Barb said...

I learned a lot TattingChic.Your bookmark is Fab! I hope you are feeling better today.
I love visiting your blog, you have a great "vibe".

hugs,
Barb

Tara said...

Hi tattingchic, sorry to hear you're under the weather. Lovely bookmark! What a nice lesson in tatting! Spread the word soon tatting will take over and everyone will be in knots.

Tara

Lynn Majidimehr said...

Beautiful bookmark, with such great detail photos and information! You're tempting me with tatting again:-)

A Romantic Porch said...

Oh my, that is quite beautiful. I may just have to break down and learn to do it. xo rachel

Unknown said...

Hi Dantatter, yes blogging is great medicine. I'm back to work with no migraine today. You guys cheered me up! I'm on break in the computer room. Just had to check the blog!

Hi Barb, I'm glad you're learning a lot. I was hoping to make the learning fun and painless. Thanks for the nice compliment about my "vibe"...LOL! I love it!

Hi Tara, wouldn't that be cool if more and more people tatted? Thanks for the nice comment!

Hi Lynn Majidimehr, if this is all it takes to tempt you to tat again then I will tempt away! I'd love to see your tatting!

Hi Rachel from A Romantic Porch. Yes, it would be great to see you learn! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help or answer any questions for you if you do decide. Thanks for visiting and commenting!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I came here from Wonders Never Cease. What beautiful work you do - I have fond memories of watching my grandmother tat. blessings, marlene

mamatejedora said...

Congratulations TattingChic you have done a great job of separating the books has become very beautiful.
As you said are practiced several techniques with this diagram.
Greetings

Dana said...

Hi
The lesson was alot of fun! That is so small I don't think I could make my hands do something like that! Anyway,
It looks beautiful!

Fete et Fleur said...

I'm sorry to hear you are not feeling well, but you did create a little piece of beauty! I hope by tomorrow you are a 100%.

Nancy

Unknown said...

Oh no, Im so sorry you have been sick! Why are so many people sick right now?

The bookmark is beautiful!!! Love it!

Hugs,
Amy

Grizzly Mountain Arts said...

What a beautiful bookmark! Love the color combination! Hope you get to feeling better soon :)

Ladytats said...

Hi TattingChic,
thanks for checking my blog. I didn't realize until your comment to my post tonight that I didn't have your blog on my list. I have corrected that. So sorry to hear that you have not been feeling well. Tatting will always be a good pick-me-up.
I liked your tatting lesson, you would be/are a good teacher.
ladytats.

Unknown said...

Hi Marlene, thanks for sharing with me about your Grandmother. That is sweet. I hope you visit again!

Hello, Mamatejedora. Thank you for your comment.

Hi, Dana! I'm glad you liked the "lesson" I kinda snuck it in there. I always tell my students, "All you have to do to be able to tat is to flip the bird with the left hand and make and OK sign with the right. If you can do that, then you can tat! LOL! SHOCKING, but true! Who knew tatting was so obscene!

Thank you for your lovely comment, Nancy from Fete et Fleur! I am feeling better.

Thank you Amy from Bunny Rose Cottage! You are the second blogger to tell lots of people are sick right now...hmmmm. WHat's up with that?

Thanks for the nice compliment on my bookmark, Grizzly Mountain Arts.

Hi and thank you, Ladytats from Lady Tats Lace. I'm so glad to be on your blogroll! I don't have one. I just keep adding more people to my google reader! LOL!

Barb said...

Hi Miss Tattingchic,

DH is a keeper (this time, I made a wise choice-hehe).

Hope you are feeling better and just tatting away!

Have a great day.

hugs,
Barb

Sandra Evertson said...

A gorgeous little Wonder!
Sandra Evertson

Mya said...

Thank you so much for your visit and well wishes. I hope your migraine is better soon. It is wonderful to have supportive bloggers out there.
-Mya

Suzie said...

Youve found a great way to make yourself better.

Rue said...

I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well, but doing something you love should help. You're so talented :)

Happy (belated) Birthday!
rue

Unknown said...

Hi Barb, thanks for the new comment. Love your visits; keep 'em coming!

Welcome back, Sandra Evertson! Thanks for your comment.

Hi Mya, thanks for the visit. You're right; it is wonderful to have supportive bloggers out there. That's the thing I love most about blogging is all of YOU guys! :) This includes you, Mya!

Thank you, Suzie. Tatting has been healing for me in more ways than one, for sure!

Thank you, sweet Rue. Your comment and compliment are both very much appreciated.

Unknown said...

I have awarded you the I Love Your Blog Award. Check out my blog for details. http://clydep-themadtatter.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Awwww....thanks Clyde! I appreciate the award. I'll run right over and check your blog now!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your blog posting they always brighten my day with there upbeat mood and touch of humour.

Tattycat said...

I have given you an award. Please check my blog for details and feel free to pass if you are too busy!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your very sweet comment, CLyde!

Thank you, Tattycat! I'll go check out your blog now. I'll have to add this award later as I am on a break at work.

Jane Eborall said...

That's a very pretty bookmark. Must make one one day!!! A proper one with pretty thread. Thanks for making it!!!
Love the breakdown too.
JaneEb

Unknown said...

Thank you Jane, thank you for visiting! I'm so glad you like it! It means a lot coming from you! :)

Pink Slippers said...

I have never seen tatting before but I love it!!! Very pretty!!! Wendy

Charmingdesigns said...

Sorry about the migraine...but I think you gave me one trying to follow you. LOL...just kidding. I love the way you explained it..not that it really makes any since...but since you know what you are talking about, that's all that really matters.lol. I love your bookmark!!! new job??? I guess I better go back and check your post! Talk to you later!! Laurie

Unknown said...

Thank you, Wendy! I feel privileged to be the one to introduce you to the art of tatting! I'm glad you stopped by!

Hi Laurie! LOL! You're funny! Thanks for stopping by!