Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Opal of My Eye

I am the QUEEN of corn! If you guessed that the title of the post was a corny pun on the saying "The Apple of My Eye", then you guessed right! When something is "the apple of your eye" ( or "my" eye or "his" eye or 'her" eye, whatever the case may be) it is something that means a lot to you. Generally, people make this statement in reference to their children or grandchildren, LOL!
I'm making this statement in reference to a beautiful new shuttle I received this last weekend! Oh, it has an Opal in the center of it! Would you like to see it?



~*~

Here it is!

It's a blue opal inlaid in a beautiful rosewood shuttle
from "The Shuttle Shop"!



Look at the way that beautiful blue opal
sparkles in the sunlight!
Here's a closeup of a side view.
The "TSS" stands for "The Shuttle Shop"
by Chris and Erin Hinton.
Those letters are laser etched into the side
of the post of the shuttle!
Chris Hinton makes beautiful shuttles as anyone
who has seen them can attest to!
If you would like to have one of these shuttles
for yourself you can email Chris and Erin at

Erin says that sometimes overseas emails bounce
back so she says that this other email may work
better for international tatting friends

Erin says that they hope to get their
website up and running soon.
(Edited 3/24/09
is now operating online)

Here it is next to "my precious".
I feel very fortunate to be at a place in my life
where I can acquire such lovely shuttles.

~*~


Thank you for letting me share my latest treasure with you! Speaking of treasures... I have come to treasure all my bloggy friends I have made on the internet through this blog. Blogging has truly enriched my life. I realize that I may sound like a broken record by now by saying that. Did you know that I have been blogging for almost a year now? These past 12 months have been some of the hardest I have ever had to deal with in my "real" life. If I didn't have this blog and the frienships and support I've received over the past year I would've gone insane! LOL! March 28th will mark my 1 yr blogaversary! You may have noticed a little button on the right side bar of my blog counting down the days!!! This is also my 95th post!!! Can you believe it? That's only 5 blog posts away from my 100th post! A blogaversary ~ now, that calls for a celebration...100 posts ~ that's a cause for celebration, as well! What do you say I combine them both together and have a blogaversary/100th post party~? Maybe a giveaway on March 28th, 2009??? What do you say? Let me know what you think and stay tuned!


Thanks so much for being a treasured part of my life!
Love,
TattingChic
xoxo

54 absolutely fabulous things were said:

Katherine said...

I bought one of these shuttles, too and I love the feel of it soo much. I am using it at the moment...and it makes me so happy!
I hope you enjoy your one as much as me.

I'm sorry real life is being such a bummer. I really hope it improves this year.

Mona said...

In times of trouble we will be there!!

I cant believe how beautiful the opal shuttle is My absolute favorite stone and blue...and a shuttle aaaah!

happy you have this treasure to keep you company hi hi.

xx Mona

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I love collecting shuttles! They're wonderful, useful, little works of art. I received my opal shuttle over the weekend, too! Have fun tatting with yours!

Oh, by the way... it's your blogaversary... I say celebrate any way you choose!

Gina said...

Beautiful shuttles and what a nice commemoration of your nearly one year of tatting and nearly one hundredth post! Of course, if I were you, I'd get a (another) really special shuttle for that. I know Chris could laser inscribe something to that effect and I suspect Dave at GM could too. Hmmm...I might have to treat myself now that I think about it! Thank you for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

What wonderful shuttles and a party is in order I believe.

Vinnie said...

Hi!
I just envy your beautiful shuttle collection!
All I have are my little pony shuttles and some plastic ones.
I've never ordered anything from the web but your things make me want to!
By the way how do you fill up these shuttles? I've got so used to the ease of filling bobbins the others make me fret and fume.
The other day I was trying to fill up the plastic non bobbin shuttle and it almost made my hair stand on ends!
LOL,
Vinnie

The Victorian Parlor said...

Another lovely shuttle-what a collection you have!

Congrats on your upcoming blogaversary! It is amazing the wonderful friendships that are formed through blogging. I think you should celebrate and have a grand party! I'll bring the tea:)

Vinnie said...

And Happy Anniversary!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Congratulations, my dear friend!
I always enjoy your posts and I'm in awe of your talent. Tatting would tangle up my clutzy fingers!

I still love the name my confused husband once called you, Tattling chick.
Becky

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

That is truly a beautiful shuttle. Both of them are.

Lucky you! Have a great day!

Betty said...

Beautiful shuttle! And I love your play on words.

As for your blogaversary...choose a time and I will lift my glass (wine? beer? Margarita?) to you! Cheers!

Unknown said...

Hi Snowy, thanks for visiting. Enjoy your beautiful opal shuttle. Real life has improved much already!

Thanks, Mona! I tried to take the photos in sunlight to show of the opal's fiery brilliance.

Hi Diane! I feel the same way too about shuttles! They are functional works of art AND I love collecting them, too! THanks for your input.

Hi Gina! That is a great idea. I just might check into that. I think you meant one year of blogging, right? (cuz I've been tatting for almost 30 years now, LOL!). Well, I hope you do get yourself something for your several years of blogging. You're so funny, Gina! I think you inspired yourself! ;)

Thanks, Clyde! A party it is then!

LOL! Vinnie, I would much rather fill up a bobbin for a shuttle than a post shuttle ANY day! Unfortunately, the bobbin shuttles only come in metal or plastic and they don't make 'em pretty, so when I want to take a pretty picture of my tatted WIP I have to fill up the dreaded post shuttles, LOL! Their beauty makes up for it, though, LOL!

Hello to The Victorian Parlor! I cannot wait! I am looking forward to it! Well, that is a lovely thought of you bringing the tea. Wouldn't it be great if we could just all get together for a real party!?

Thanks, Vinnie! It's not 'til later so you're good! :)

Hi Becky! Thank you so much for your very sweet comment! Oh, that is a funny story about Todd's "nickname" for me, LOL! Actually it was more of a misunderstanding than a nickname, but nevertheless, it is a hoot!

Thank you, Carol! I appreciate your comment and all of your sweet visits. I haven't forgotten you...the email will be returned I promise! Just been a busy...um, let's just say eventful week!

Thanks, Betty! Just watch the blogoversary countdown and then, CHEERS! LOL! ;)

Suzie said...

That is so cool. I love opal

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Those are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I just received my blue opal shuttle too! It is special to me because it is my birth stone and it is my 40th b-day this year! The only problem I am having with it is that I keep looking at the pretty sparkly colors and I am not tatting!lol Happy blogaversary!I really enjoy your blog it always brings a smile to my face. I also enjoy what you put on etatters.(I am Barbara with the butterfly)

Thimbleanna said...

Those shuttles are gorgeous. I can't believe it's only been a year -- I would have thought you've been blogging for...forever LOL!

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello tatting chic, OH, what very lovely tatting shuttles. The opal is truly gorgeous. I also love the other new shuttle you have shown in your other posts. You must have the most fantastic collections of shuttles. But the best part is seeing the lovely tatting lace you create from them. I always love visiting your blog and I am a bit behind but catching up. LOL Hugs Judy

Chiara said...

Hi!!
no words to say how wonderful they are!!

Chiara =)

Susanne said...

The Hinton shuttles are so lovely, do enjoy your new shuttle making some lovely tatting with it.
Oh yes a party sounds great, and at that date it is almost spring up here in the northern hemisphere so that is a very good reason to have a party too.
It is good to know that blogging friends have been able to help you through some difficult times, it is so good to have friends online.

Unknown said...

Hi Suzie! Thanks a bunch!

Thank you, Penny! Glad you like it.

Hi Barbara with the butterfly (Tattabug)! I will come say "hi" on eTatters. Isn't the opal beautiful? Thank you so much for your sweet comment! I am glad you came to visit my blog.

LOL! Thimbleanna, thanks...I think! It has almost been a year now. Blogging has really made it a wonderful year!

Hi Judy, it's always so nice to have you stop by. So glad that you like the shuttles. It is all about the lace, but sometimes it is easy to get hung up on the pretty shuttles...for me, that is, LOL!

Thank you, Chiara! I am so glad you stopped by and commented. I am glad you like the shuttles, too!

Thank you, Susanne! I am glad you like the shuttles. I probably sound like a commercial for shuttlemakers half the time, I don't mean to, but I think it is such a lovely art (shuttle making). Good, I am glad you like the idea of a party! You have definately been one of those online friends who have helped me get through this rough patch! I hope you come join the party!

Jessica Rodarte said...

Pretty, pretty, pretty! :D I will definitely be back on the 28th. Congratulations!!

Donna said...

Glad we could be here for you! I love that new opal shuttle. I just love really pretty tools to do our really pretty work with. Congrats on the blogversary~

Attic Clutter said...

Oh Pretty I have never seen a Shuttle before(:)
Thanks for coming by and leaving me a sweet message..
hope your day is wonderful ~
hugs, Patty

Elyse said...

i love a good pun! i make 'em all the time.

i completely echo everything you say about blogging (and a tough year). what a wonderful outlet this is.

enjoy your new shuttle!

xo

Rosemary said...

Those are really fancy!!
Thank you for all of your sweet comments on my blog!
Rosemary

Draffin Bears said...

I love your Opal shuttle Tatting Chic ~ you have some very pretty shuttles and they must be so lovey to use with the smoothness, of the beautiful wood.

Sorry that the past year has been hard and yes the friendships that we have made with all our blogging friends is wonderful.
Best of luck with your Blogaversary ~ it would be great to meet up for a tea party ~ I will bring the fairy cakes.

Hugs
Carolyn

Bella Sinclair said...

You're getting quite the collection there! This latest one is a beauty. I've never held a shuttle before, but these look so smooth and well shaped, I imagine it's kind of like holding a bar of soap that's been well formed to fit the shape of your hand. Only less slippery, of course.

And Hooray for the milestones coming up! TattingChic, you give as much love as you receive, and that's why you have so many visitors. Why, just LOOK at your map! I can hardly see any land. Looks like a big giant blooming red carpet of flowers. I hope our love carries you through the hard times, and I hope the worst of it is over.

Hugs & blessings!

shabbyfufu said...

Wow......that looks like the Crown Jewel of shuttles. I too love opals and don't see them around as much these days for some reason? ~XO~Janet

TAT19540 said...

your new shuttles are gorgeous. I think the opal is exquisite. Happy blog-anniversary!

yoon see said...

Wow! So much happening since my last visit:)

Heather said...

You do love your shuttles, LOL!

And while I do not tat and have absolutely no clue about shuttles, I can still admire the beauty in these lovely "trinkets".

{oc cottage} said...

YOU need a 12 step program! But I do have to agree... it's shuttlicious!;)

M ^..^

Unknown said...

Hi Kids Napping? I'm Scrapping! Thanks so much! K ~ See ya on the 28th!

Thank you, Donna! Your comment is so sweet. We are lucky to have such beautiful tools to work with! How fortunate to be alive in an age where people can contact each other all over the world so we can get in touch with these amazing shuttle makers!

Hi Patty, you are welcome and glad you like the shuttle you have seen now!

Oh, GOOD, Elyse! Another punny blogger, LOL! So sorry to hear that you have had a tough year, too. Thank you for being a sweet bloggy friend.

Hi Rosemary, Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate all your sweet comments, too.

Oh, Carolyn! Your fairy cakes sound delish!!! Do come on over! It won't be anything too fancy, but it'll be a celebration, nonetheless! Thank you for being a sweet bloggy buddy!

Hi Bella Sinclair! Yes, tatting shuttles are shaped to fit the hand well, but they are much smaller than a bar of soap. Maybe about the size of a bar of soap that's been worn down to the size that it will go down the drain almost, LOL! Thank you for your sweet words of support! I cherish our bloggy friendship!

Yes, Janet, I know what you mean about opals. They don't seem to be having as big of an appearance as they once did. I wonder why that is. That is cute that you call it the "crown jewel" of tatting shuttles as tatting shuttles are the spawn of knotting shuttles which were encrusted with jewels sometimes when they were owned by royalty did knotting.

Thank you, TAT19540! I am so glad you stopped by. :)

Hi Yoon See! Glad you came around for another visit! Hope to see you again sooner rather than later.

Awww... thank you, Heather! Yes, I guess one doesn't have to tat in order to appreciate the artistry that goes into crafting a tatting shuttle.

LOL ^..^ ! Yes, I think it has been well established that I need a 12 step program for my tatting habit, LOL! I like that... "shuttlicious"! I think I might borrow that word! Good one!

Unknown said...

Hi Kids Napping? I'm Scrapping! Thanks so much! K ~ See ya on the 28th!

Thank you, Donna! Your comment is so sweet. We are lucky to have such beautiful tools to work with! How fortunate to be alive in an age where people can contact each other all over the world so we can get in touch with these amazing shuttle makers!

Hi Patty, you are welcome and glad you like the shuttle you have seen now!

Oh, GOOD, Elyse! Another punny blogger, LOL! So sorry to hear that you have had a tough year, too. Thank you for being a sweet bloggy friend.

Hi Rosemary, Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate all your sweet comments, too.

Oh, Carolyn! Your fairy cakes sound delish!!! Do come on over! It won't be anything too fancy, but it'll be a celebration, nonetheless! Thank you for being a sweet bloggy buddy!

Hi Bella Sinclair! Yes, tatting shuttles are shaped to fit the hand well, but they are much smaller than a bar of soap. Maybe about the size of a bar of soap that's been worn down to the size that it will go down the drain almost, LOL! Thank you for your sweet words of support! I cherish our bloggy friendship!

Yes, Janet, I know what you mean about opals. They don't seem to be having as big of an appearance as they once did. I wonder why that is. That is cute that you call it the "crown jewel" of tatting shuttles as tatting shuttles are the spawn of knotting shuttles which were encrusted with jewels sometimes when they were owned by royalty did knotting.

Thank you, TAT19540! I am so glad you stopped by. :)

Hi Yoon See! Glad you came around for another visit! Hope to see you again sooner rather than later.

Awww... thank you, Heather! Yes, I guess one doesn't have to tat in order to appreciate the artistry that goes into crafting a tatting shuttle.

LOL, M ^..^ ! Yes, I think it has been well established that I need a 12 step program for my tat-o-holism, LOL! I like that word "shuttlicious"! I think I might borrow that word! Good one!

Unknown said...

Those are beautiful! Happy blogiversary!!
Hugs,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Hey chick!! I am going to have to look up what a shuttle is. But its pretty! lol sorry havent came by for awhile I have been super duper busy! well talk to ya soon! toodles-sarah

Connie said...

You certainly do have a lot to celebrate - 100 posts, 1 year blogging and oodles of fascinating shuttles!

Kate Tracton said...

You've got some gorgeous shuttles!

Happy blogoversary!

Kate

LiLi M. said...

I love those shuttles! That opal is really gorgeous I have never seen anything like both shuttles! (Have I been sleeping under a rock? Nobody else here seems to be that surprised, but I'm from abroad and therefor entitled to some odd behavior/thoughts don't you think?). Congrats on almost a year blogging, I bet you cannot remember what your life looked like before that, just like me! Have a happy Friday and a nice weekend!

Artifax said...

What beautiful little works of art! How wonderful to have such a collection of beauty to bring happiness to you!

And ... Happy Almost Blogiversary!! Blogland is the best, filled with just the most wonderful people! Like you! :) Truly a wonderful community.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Amy! ((Hugs))!

Hi Sarah! A shuttle is just a vehicle that holds the thread that someone is tatting with. It really doesn't matter what your shuttle looks like...in other words, a pretty shuttle doesn't make tatting pretty, a tatter's technique does.

Thank you so much, Connie! What a sweet comment!

Thank you, Kate! :)

No, Lili, you have not been sleeping under a rock, LOL! I have never seen anything like these shuttles, either! I didn't think there was anything odd about what you said!

Awww...Bejeweled! What an incredibly sweet comment! Thank you so much! ((Hugs)) to you!

Tracy said...

Queen of corn, oh yes!! ;o) hehehe...And queen of shuttle collecting too, I'd say! These two are stunningly beautiful! Blogiversary...happy, happy blogiversary, my friend! Always a treat to stop by here and to know you! Happy weekend, my friend ((HUGS))

Paula said...

I love seeing all your little treasured "tools"!
Even though I have no idea what you do with them! LOL
I love opals- they're my birthstone.

Free Art Printables said...

That is soo cool! It's beautiful! I have always loved Opals!!! I wanted to ask you if you have ever tatted bracelets and how much you would charge? Jen

Ais said...

WOW! it is so beautiful! No wonder... It should be the OPAL of your eye.:) Thanks for sharing it with us.

Bonnie said...

Opal is my birth stone, so naturally I think your opal shuttle is the most beautiful shuttle I've ever seen :-) Thank you for posting the email for the shuttle shop. I've drooled over their shuttles but haven't been able to find them, now I hope to get some... I mean one (for now)of my own. I'll let you know.

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

I NEED that shuttle with the opal! LOL. Opals are my birthstone!

kari and kijsa said...

Beautiful! These are stunning!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Lace hearts said...

Opal is such a beautiful stone, and that shuttle is very special. I don't tat, as yet, and even I can tell it's pretty special.
Blogging does help so much when real life seems hard, doesn't it. I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad year. You've kept your blog such a happy place, and that has helped you. Blog friends are wonderful, I agree.
So, a party it is!

Unknown said...

You luckeee lady...those are beautiful tatting shuttles!
Shirl

Unknown said...

Thank you, Tracy! I appreciate your sweet blogoversay wishes and as always your bloggy friendship. ((HUGS)) back to you, friend!

Very cool, Paula! So your birthday is in October? Is that when the Opal birthstone month is?

Hi Jen! I tatted a bracelet once, actually it was a fancy wristlet to hang my teeny tiny cell phone that I had once, LOL! The cell phone is long gone and I can no longer find the wristlet. I am not really into tatted jewelry and as of yet I do not sell. I have done swaps before, though!

Thank you, Ais! I always enjoy your visits and comments.

LOL! Bonnie, you crack me up! Pretty shuttles are just like Lays Potato Chips (remember that old commercial? "You can't stop at just one" LOL! Glad to help you out with contacting the Hintons. I hope we all get to see your beautiful shuttle once you get it!

OMGosh! Lady ShuttleMaker! Look at all these Opal Birthstone babies! I think you are the 4th one to mention it's their birthstone. Very cool! I hope you treat yourself to one! They did have white opals, too. Erin mentioned that they also have black opals as well!

Thank you, Kari and Kijsa! So glad you stopped by!

Thank you, Lace Hearts! I appreciate your sweet comments and bloggy friendship! That made my day that you said my blog is a happy place to visit. ((HUGS)) to you, friend!

Thank you, Shirley! I appreciate your visit.

Lois said...

What a beautiful work piece. I would imagine using it would get your creative juices really flowing.
There is something about opals that I just love. The first ring my now husband bought me was(after my wedding ring) was an opal. That was 34 years ago and I still have it.
Congratulations on your upcoming blogaversary. I'll stay tuned to see what you come up with.
Have a great week.
Lois

Singtatter said...

More beautiful shuttles !?! I'm full of envy!

Unknown said...

Hi Lois, thank you! I know that looking at the shuttle really makes me want to tat! Yes, stay tuned! I hope to make it a lovely celebration.

Hi Singtatter, oh no, I don't mean to make you envious! Just sharing. Why don't you email the Hintons and see if they can whip you up one, too!