Sunday, October 19, 2008

I Want A New Drug...

"...one that won't make me sick...
...one that won't make me crash my car...
...or make me feel three feet thick...
One that won't make me nervous
Wondering what to do."

~*~

Remember the blessed 80's? Ah, yes, the wild, gluttonous 80's. This song by Huey Lewis and the News was a big hit in 1984. I would innocently sing along to the lyrics (above) never knowing that one day I would succomb to my drug habit; tatting.
Here's the thing, even hardcore HDT addicts need a "new drug" once in a while. Hence, the new Valdani threads I purchased this week from DS9Designs. Valdani threads are made in Romania. What makes them so special, you ask? Nothing in particular, they're just perle cotton. Perle cotton isn't the BEST for tatting because of it's loose twist, but it sure has a lovely sheen to it once it's all tatted up. I tend to be a tight tatter so the loose twist of the thread isn't an issue for me. Let me show you my latest "drugs" I purchased for my habit, LOL!
I purchased the following Valdani threads
for their beautiful colors.
I also got some matching
to go with the threads. I was impressed by
how well they matched the threads.


***

Algae and Delicate Rose
Valdani Perle Cotton size 12

Green Grass
Violette di Parma
....sigh....

Aren't they pretty?


You know I couldn't go through a
tatting spending spree without getting
my staple;
HDT!

These lovely Hand Dyed Threads
are from Yarnplayer's Etsy Shop.

I was pleasantly surprised
when I opened my package from her.
There was this beautiful hand tatted bookmark
from her with a thank you tag attached!
I believe this is done in her HDT called "Purple Punch".

Thank YOU, Marilee!


Next to arrive was this lovely
handcarved Buffalo Bone Lady Hoare Style Shuttle.
This was hand carved by Dave from
Grizzly Mountain Arts.
No animals were harmed to make
his beautiful hand carved
fiber art tools.



Doesn't Dave's Hand Carved Buffalo Bone Tatting Shuttle
look lovely paired with Marilee's Thank You Bookmark?



Let's take a closer look
at those finely detailed
carved roses framed by
some expertly tatted lace.


WOW!
How many people get to use works of art
to create a work of art?

***

That's what I'm going to be doing when I tat
up some lace with this Hand Carved Shuttle and Hand Dyed Thread.

What a treat~!

~*~

Thank you for letting me share my newest tatting treasures with you. I've been tatting up some fun things for fall this week, I will show you that later! Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear from you! Comments are always welcome.
Thanks for all the lovely comments on my last "tat-o-holism" post. You guys are just too witty and fun! I got so many chuckles from reading all those great comments and I'm looking forward to what else you have to share with me.
Chat with you all soon,
~TattingChic
((hugs))

(edited 1/17/09) P.S. Here's a little video for those of you that would like to indulge yourselves in Huey's music...



61 absolutely fabulous things were said:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

All of your new threads are beautiful! I have some Valdani, but haven't tried using it yet. Lucky you to be the owner of that beautiful shuttle! I wondered who won it! We'll just have to get together some time and compare shuttle and thread stashes! Maybe we could do some swapping! ; )

Tattycat said...

Congratulations on the new goodies! That should help support your habit for a while. The threads and beads are very pretty, the shuttle is gorgeous and the bookmark from Yarnplayer is very special.

Free Art Printables said...

THis is beautiful! Do you ever Tat jewelery? I think that would make a beautiful bracelet or necklace!

Unknown said...

Hi Diane, thanks for stopping by. I haven't tried the Valdani. I was inspired when I saw a beautiful motif done by "snowflake77" on eTatters that I HAD TO HAVE the thread, LOL!
Ummm...ermmmm...swapping? Oh, I see the wink there, you were just kidding! Whew! For a minute there I thought you might be seriously thinking I would part with that shuttle, silly me! So glad you were kidding! :)

Thanks Tattycat! The bookmark from Yarnplayer is very special. It is going to go in a very special book, I'm thinking. It is so pretty and I feel honored that she would share a piece of her hand tatted lace with me. What a treasure!

Hi Jen! I'm so glad you stopped by. I do not make jewelry, but there is this gal on etsy named Elizabeth that makes THE MOST exquisite tatted jewelry. There are lots of other gals who sell tatted jewelry, but I would have to say that if I personally were going to buy tatted jewelry it would be from Elizabeth. Her tatting is impeccable, immaculate, perfect, and well just plain beautiful! Her Etsy address is this:

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5162917

You should be able to cut and paste that into your browser window.

Grizzly Mountain Arts said...

What gorgeous threads and bookmark! Of course, I think the shuttle is pretty nifty too! :) Thank you so much for winning it!

Jo :)

Martha said...

Lucky you with all these new goodies. I've enjoyed tatting with the Valdani I got from Deb at DS9

zarina said...

SIGH. I too got all my stash trickling in. Today got the last of my big order. There is one big batch of fabric waiting to be pictured and blog.

Unknown said...

Hi Jo (and Dave, too),
Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I love all of Dave's shuttles, they are all works of art! Glad I won this one, too, LOL! That was my first purchase on eBay, can you believe it?

Hi Martha,
Glad you stopped by for a visit. Good to hear that the Valdani thread is enjoyable to tat with. There sure are some beautiful overdyes available from them. I was looking all over the 'net to find Valdani and I was pleasantly surprised to find that Deb sells them! That would've made it a LOT easier when I began my search months ago, LOL!

Hi Zarina, the anticipation of waiting for one's stash to "trickle in" is nearly unbearable. I just want it to GET HERE ASAP!!! LOL! Glad you stopped in for a minute or two.

Kathy Niklewicz said...

Hi TattingChic! I'm finally starting to comment on others' blogs and have a lot of catching up to do! I very much appreciate your comments on my posts. Your blog and creative writing skills are exceptional and admired by all, not to mention your beautiful tatting! (Your 3-D egg certainly captured my attention several posts back!) I would love to have these new threads and hope to experiment with the beautiful HDTs as well. Thanks again for all the work you do on your blog - the links, the lists, etc. Always enjoy reading it. Have a great day!

Jose said...

Gorgeous work

Unknown said...

Oh Tattingchic you are to funny. New thread in fabulous colours what a feast for our your eyes and the shuttle is the icing on the cake. Isn't it wonderful to get HDT and to make it just that much more special Marilee sends a surprise with it? I think you must be in HDT heaven.Thank you for sharing your scrumptious feast. Now I must sit back and enjoy the colours being tatted before my eyes by a shuttle that is so pretty it must be a dream.

Unknown said...

Wow! Beautiful new threads. Can't wait to see what you make with it. I agree with jen, it would make beautiful jewelry.
XOXO
Jillian

Unknown said...

Hi Kathy, so glad you decided to comment and thank you for your very nice compliment. It means a lot coming from a fellow tatter. Your work is exquisite. Thanks for visiting! Come again, anytime!

Hi Jose, welcome! Thank you for your nice comment.

Hey Clyde. You are right; the shuttle is so pretty it must be a dream. It's surprisingly small the photos here and on Grizzly's blog make it seem larger than it is. The width is smaller than a quarter. Which is fine with me! I have small hands.

Hi Jillian, thanks for visiting. There are lot's of gals who make and wear tatted jewelry. I'm not really one of them, although I have to say that there are some who are getting quite good at it. Yarnplayer did come out with a new book that has many beautiful jewelry patterns and I think I might just tat some up. I've done earrings before (angel and heart tatted earrings).

connie said...

Oh Dear Oh My
I hope it wasn't my post that sent you to ebay,looking for some illicit purchase in the middle of the night.
Or I will have to apologize to you for that (assuming I get that far in my twelve step program)
I'm looking for a sponsor now,I accept I have a problem. I just can't find a meeting. Maybe a teeny tiny purchase of a moldy old crochet magazine with a single tatting pattern will sooth my withdrawal jitters. Just this once.
Wish me luck
Connie

Susanne said...

I don't have anything funny to say all I can say is that the shuttle is awesome and those threads are so beautiful. I don't know Valdani from experience but soft DMC perle threads are not my favourite threads.
Do you know that you are such a lucky tatter and now you also have a special bookmark from Yarnplayer, simply wow.

Paula said...

Oh girl, you make me want to tat....
(Hmmm.. that's one of those"sounds dirty but it's not" sayings..)

Rachel Biel said...

Thanks for visiting Fiber Focus! If you would like to come on as a guest artist and write about tatting, would love to have you!

rochambeau said...

Such tatting goodness!!
ESPECIALLY the Baldani Perle cotton,
and the radiant colors of course!!
Have a great day Tatting Chic!

Tracy said...

Delicious, TattingChic...all these sumptuous colors and textures are super eye candy! So is your tatted piece in progress...just lovely! As is that bone shuttle...a work of art in itself! I have some of that Valdani in the pink and have used as embroidery thread--the sheen is so pretty. Happy tatting ((HUGS))

Unknown said...

Yes, I can soooo totally relate, Connie! I have so many crochet magazine, vintage and not so vintage that just has one little tatting pattern or even a picture of tatting and the is the sole purpose that I purchased it, LOL! No, you are not to blame, it was Dave's (GMA) posting of the lovely bone tatting shuttle that sent me there, not to worry!

Thank you, Susanne, I really appreciate your lovely comments, each and every one of them. Yes, I had to "acquire a taste" for perle threads, so to speak, LOL! Yes, I consider myself "Freaking Lucky" ;) to have one of Yarnplayer's pieces of hand tatted lace.


ROFLOL! You are too funny, Farm Chick! Honestly, I'd be honored if my posts made ya wanna tat! LOL!

Hi Fiber Focus! I would be completely honored to be a guest artist and write about tatting! WOW! Let me think about it for a minute, okay, YES!!! :)))

Thank you Constance from Rochambeau, always a pleasure to have you come visit and leave a comment, especially because I like typing the word "Rochambeau". "Rochambeau" has a certain flow to it, not just rolling off the tongue, but typing as well. I have no idea what it means? What does it mean, oh, Constance of Rochambeau?

Oh, Tracy, we have the same Valdani thread! How cool is that? We have a lot of fun things in common, it's like we're "kindred spirits". Did you ever watch "Anne of Green Gables"? I love that movie version with the gazillions of videos. So sweet and wholesome.

Alison Gibbs said...

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers for my Dad. We are waiting on more tests to know what we are really dealing with
Alison

CIELO said...

lovely colors and confections.... they almost look like some type of intricate lace.... lovely!

cielo

Cottage Rose said...

your HDTs are so pretty love all the colors. I know nothing about tatting. I know what it is but can't do it. I love every thing you make. it is so pretty and fancy. have fun with your new goodies.

hug;s
Alaura

Bella Sinclair said...

Thanks for the 80s flashback! Hehe, I can see the music video in my mind right now.

Ooooh my, aren't these pretty. So imagine how many artisans it takes to make one of your beautiful tatted treasures. Let's see....one for the HDT, one for the beautiful bone shuttle, and of course, YOU...whew! I love getting new art supplies, even if I never get to use them. It must be the POTENTIAL and the dreaming it brings, eh?

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Good Morning TC!

I hope you're happy! no I'll have that song in my head all day long at work....LOL. Those are some of the most beautiful colors I've ever seen, it's no wonder you're addicted!

Have a wonderful day!
Kathi :)

Angela Harris said...

Hello! I came to your blog from Jessica's blog Kid's napping. It's perfect timing to find your blog. I just recieved one of these tools and had no idea what it was and now I'm seeing them all around your blog. I want to learn to do this so Badly! I would be a beginner. Can you recommend any tips or books to teach me?
Thank you!
Sincerely,
Angela Harris
YourAngil.Blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hi Allison, So sorry to hear it is still such a difficult time with your father, hope all is well, soon! Thanks for visiting.

LOL! Thanks Cielo, yes, and there is a very good reason that tatting looks like some intricate kind of lace!
~ It is lace! It's called "hand tatted lace" or "tatted lace" or even just plain "tatting".

Thank you for your very lovely comment, Alaura! I appreciate that and I will have fun with my new "toys", LOL!

Yes, Bella Sinclair! You are right there is the dreaming of the potential of the new sujpplies that makes them so fun. Sad, but true that I have more thread than I will ever use up in this lifetime.

LOL, Thanks Kathy, Oh, by the way, please don't call me TC...long story short, you're not the only one and I recognize it as a term of endearment, but there's something about being called "TC" that makes me go "EEeewwwwwww!" Just gotta nip that one in the bud or EVERYONE will be callin' me that and "ew, yucky" that won't be cool at all~!
Nonetheless, that aside, I am VERY glad you stopped by and made a comment. I do hope you come again and comment often. Glad you liked the color! It's so nice to share my new toys with bloggy friends like you! :)

Hi Angela,
It sounds like the tool you received is called a tatting shuttle. I think it's totally cool that you want to learn to tat. A book is not a bad idea to use as a resource. Most people struggle with the concept of the threads swtiching places or "the flip" as many like to call it in making the double stitch. A great book is called "Fancy Pants" available at www.hhtatting.com (handy hands tatting) and you can also view free tatting lessons on You Tube. Another great resource and source of support is eTatters at:
http://etatters.ning.com/
It's free to join and everyone is very friendly there. It's a social network forum for tatters of ALL skill levels from "wannabe's" to "experienced". Come and join the beautiful art of tatting!
~TattingChic

Unknown said...

GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS!! Love your work. Congratulations!

I remember that song all too well, lol!

Hugs,
Amy

Angela Harris said...

This purple punch strand is beautiful. Thank you so much for the advice. I'm going to add this technique to my list of want to learn crafts. I will definately be looking at all of the resources you recommended. I'll be back I'm sure for some more of your expert advice :)
Sincerely,
Angela harris

Unknown said...

Hi Amy, thank you so much for your enthusiasm and sweetness. Your visits are always welcome! :)

Hi Angela, I look forward to seeing your progress. You may want to checkout You Tube before you order that book. You Tube is free and it is important to have someone show you how to do the "flip" of the threads in order to tat. That particular book is a great reference if you need it. I guess I feel guilty about giving tatting advice that may cost more money than necessary as regular crochet cotton and a plastic shuttle and free internet resources are quite cheap!

Jessica Rodarte said...

such pretty colors! you're right, no other craft has pretty tools like the wooden shuttle you used... my paper trimmer for scrapping is pretty boring! ;)

Joy Jones said...

What treasures! The thread is sooo beautiful. I am sure you will create something gorgeous with them. I just wanted to stop by this evening to let you know how much I appreciate your kind comments on my Artful Blogging post. Thank You! ~ xo ~ Joy

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Your pictures are absolutely beautiful and your work is gorgeous! I'm very envious that you know how to do something that I don't. You are a very talented woman. Have a wonderful week! Twyla

Nerm said...

Who cares if it's perle cotton? The colors are good enough to eat!
Dang, there's no hope for you! Just go with the feeling, life's too short. Nerm

Unknown said...

Hi Kids Napping? I'm Scrapping! Your comment made me laugh! My paper trimmer isn't the most exciting thing to look at either, but don't you get excited just thinking about all the pretty, fun things you can make with it??? You are an AWESOME scrapper!

Hi Joy, thanks for your sweet comment. How exciting it must be to have your blog published in a blogging magazine, hooray for you! :)

Thank you, Twyla. So glad you took the time to visit and leave a comment. Hope to see you again, soon!

That's just it, Nerm, I personally DON'T care that it's perle cotton, LOL, you are so funny! I was trying to avoid giving the impression that perle cotton is fabulous thread to tat with because quite frankly, it's NOT. I have a lot of beginners looking at what to buy and the LAST thing I want to do is mislead someone into buying a thread that will merely cause a lot of frustration when learning to tat. Hope you're feeling better! :)

Fete et Fleur said...

These are beyond yummy! Your making me want to go out and buy these beautiful threads. How do I learn to do tatting?

Nancy

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

Oh Thank goodness for the internet AKA our tatting support group!
Us addicts need to stay together.

Those beads couldn't match that thread more perfectly! What lovely photos.

Congrats on your new "hit" of tatting supplies!

Unknown said...

Hi Nancy, the BEST way to learn tatting is to have someone show you in person...to get the "flip" or switch of the threads. Finding someone to teach you can prove to be a challenging feat. That aaid, I'm "meeting" more and more people online who have said that they learned from the internet. If you go to You Tube and search "tatting" you will come up with some free teaching vids. You will need to purchase one inexpensive plastic tatting shuttle, size 10 cotton crochet thread (I recommend DMC brand cebelia or cordonet-get your favorite color). A great book that is optional, but has fabulous pictures for the learning tatter is called "fancy pants".
The above 3 items can all be purchased at

www.handyhandstatting.com

if you find them at other places, that's great, too. I have personally ordered from Handy Hands and I have never been disappointed. Other tatter's speak highly of dealing with them, as well. It's run/owned by a fellow tatter named Barbara Foster.

Hi Lady Shuttle Maker, It's good to have you "home" in Korea, LOL! You are too funny; I do look forward to using my new "hit" of tatting supplies very soon!

Kathy Raker said...

Congratulations on the new threads. I love the Valdani perle cotton too. What a beautiful shuttle too.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Your new threads are beautiful. I have never tatted...it looks so hard to do! I am in awe of your talent.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Oh No! that song again! :)

Have a Wonderful Wednesday!
Kathi :)

Linda said...

All your new threads are so gorgeous....I'm especially drawn to the greens. Each time I visit I see so many beautiful works of art. The shuttle is wonderful and I love the bookmark. I have a couple of little piece that I've picked up here and there and just love them. I've always wanted to tat but I not sure if I could even do it. hugs, Lidna

Lace hearts said...

You have got it bad, haven't you. But those threads and beads look scrummy. You must tatt constantly to get through all these threads, unless you have a room dedicated to storing them. I'd imagine it's piled high, with a little walkway around the colours. The bookmark is beautifully done. Lovely post, as always. x

Karen ~ Cider Antiques said...

Lovely goodies and that shuttle certainly is gorgeous! Karen

Unknown said...

Hi Kathy! Good to see you "out and about" in blogger land! Thanks for the comment.

Hi Penny! Thanks for visiting. This may sound funny, but tatting is EASY-PEASY! It's the learning the flip that is hard, LOL! There's only one stitch to do...over and over and over and over...it's kinda cool that way.

Yes, Kathi, It is THAT song again, LOL! ;)

Hi, Linda, Have you every posted about your tatted pieces on your blog? I'd love to see them, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see them! Thanks for visiting.

Hi, Lace Hearts,actually, I don't think I will ever get through all this thread in one lifetime. It's kinda silly, really. Who knows, maybe I will!

Thank you, Karen! Always nice to have you stop by for a visit!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

ROFLOL!!! that song again, you just want to torture me! New post, new post! LOL :)

Barb said...

Hi Miss tattingchic.

I tried to leave a comment yesterday but blogger would not let me so I left a comment for you on my blog.

I am concerned about your addiction-hehe? Perhaps there is some type of rehab for tat-a holics?
Your work is just beautiful, God has given you loads of talent.

hugs,
Barb

Unknown said...

Hee hee, Kathi, all in due time, all in due time...LOL! ;)

Hi Barb, blogger was being a beast yesterday...it wouldn't let me post a comment on my own blog either, thanks for thinking of me, tho'! I saw your comment for me on your blog, that was sweet! :)

Unknown said...

Oh My..your goodies are just so pretty. I love the bright happy colors of your NEW threads! Don't know much about tatting..but I adore its lacy look!

Thanks so much for your sweet words and prayers...they mean a lot to me.
Blessings.. Lorena

Fantastic Figments said...

WOW thanks for stopping by my blog :) This is my first stroll over to your site and I must say I am BLOWN away by your threads.. AWESOME.. I also loved your little prelude to the 80's loves it. Please keep in touch.

Smooches,
Steph

Marilee Rockley said...

Ohh oh - just caught your blog post today - now everyone will want a hand tatted bookmark, LOL! It just didn't make it into my "Boutique Tatting" book, so I figured it might as well go to a good home. I see that it has!
By the way, you are right about the color - it is done in my HDT "Purple Punch".

Celestina Marie said...

What wonderful threads. Just gorgeous colors. I can see the addiction. Surely loved this post.
Thanks for stopping by to visit me. I have missed visiting blogs, being so busy. Trying to catch up can be a challange. Always love to visit here. You are such a talented tatter and writer. Thank you for the pleasant smiles you give.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs, Celestina
la rea rose

Vicki Chrisman said...

Oh... beautiful goodies for you to play with!!
You posts always just crack me up!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Good Morning Tatting Chic!

What on earth are you doing up so darn early? Yes, I whizzed past that song so quickly...LOL. I'll be looking forward to a new tune :)

A wonderful Saturday to you dear one!
Kathi :)

Pat said...

I LOVE the perle cotton you highlighted on this blog...I'll have to get some of that beautiful stuff. Oh, my, adding to the stash again!! And, thanks, once again, for the kind comments and visit to my blog. Love hearing from you and seeing your wonderful work.

Charmingdesigns said...

These are soooo beautiful. I can not wait to see what you make with them. I guess you probably noticed...I put learning how to tat on the back burner while I get some of the easels made up...ummm, wonder how I could incorporate some tatting onto these??? Laurie

Unknown said...

Hi Lorena, thanks for your sweet comment! Glad you came for a visit.

Hi Steph, and welcome! Hope you come back often. Nice to meet another blogger who appreciates tatting.

Hi Yarnplayer! So glad you stopped by. Ya know, I considered not sharing the bookmark for that same reason, I didn't want to get you in "trouble" with your other customers, but I have to say, it was TOO PRETTY not to show off AND it looked so nice with the handcarved bone shuttle. I had to show it off. :) (shrugging shoulders)

Hi Celestina la rea rose! I'm glad that if your blogging time is limited that you took the time to stop by and visit me as your visits are always appreciated.

Hi Vicki, welcome back! I'm glad to be able to crack you up! Laughter is such a good thing!

Hi Kathi, LOL! It was insomnia...ugghhh. Thank heavens for all the fabulous crafty and shabby blogs out there to keep me entertained in the wee hours of the mornin'!

Hi Pat, I think you'll really enjoy the beautiful colors that Valdani offers. So many ranges of shades and hues, just beautiful.

Hi Laurie! I was wondering how the learning to tat was going, since I didn't hear from you in a while, but when I saw the beautiful easels I can see how you could get caught up in creating them, they're just beautiful! I think tatting would look fabulous incorporated into your little vignettes between two little plates of glass and soldered together. WOW! I think it will look fabulous! I'll be first in line to buy! :)

Fifi Flowers said...

The 80s were filled with GREAT music, classic hair and clothing styles! I remember them fondly as a time of FUN!

Unknown said...

Hi Fifi Flowers, I so loved the 80's too! Many fond memories, as well. Thanks for visiting!

robin dudley-howes said...

One phrase: do you teach? just found your blog. love tatting. let me know! Check out my blog when you get a moment.
robin

Unknown said...

Hi Robin, so glad you stopped by and thanks for leaving a comment! Yes, I do teach! I did stop by your blog and added it to my google reader, I believe!