Wednesday, November 12, 2008

...And A Good Time Was Had By All!

Have you ever read an old newspaper clipping about THE "social event of the year". You know, the one about the ladies who lunch at fine places or about a gathering to celebrate some persnickety "suchandsuch" person's success (or even the birthday party of the grandchild of the persnickety "suchandsuch") and the local papers usually say something like this, "cucumber sandwiches were served and a good time was had by all."
LOL!
I used to read old newspaper clippings my mother had from the "rich" side of the family on the other side of the continent. I used to think that was THE "thing" to lunch with rich ladies and have cucumber sandwiches and have a "good time".
Well, earlier this month the lace guild that I am a member of did have a party to celebrate the anniversary of our meeting place.

Not exactly the "social event of the year" as attendance was sparse but it was pleasant, nonetheless.

~*~

Here's a snapshot of the grounds
of the building where we meet.
Inside, we actually did make some lace.
Here's is someone doing a "pricking" of her pattern.
Here is someone doing some bobbin lace on a
"cookie pillow"
It kinda looks like a huge blue 'Nilla Wafer
if you use your imagination, LOL!
Because it's a lace guild we appreciate
handmade lace of all kinds.
Here's a beautiful piece of antique
handmade irish crochet lace that
one of the ladies picked up at Lace Day.
It's from around the turn of the century.
(the last century, that is!)


I thought it was so pretty that it deserved

some closeup shots of some

intricate details.

Shall we?



I think it is an amazingly beautiful piece
and it's in incredibly good shape for how old it is.
What do you think?

~*~

Now, onto the festivities.
To celebrate we had quite a spread.
I only have a couple of photos to show you.
Here are some Florentine Cookies on
a lacey cake pedestal
that I got as a Christmas gift last year.Cucumber sandwiches were served
(see the cucumber sandwiches in the middle of the plate?)

AND A GOOD TIME WAS HAD BY ALL!
No, really!
;)

~*~

Thank you for going to my lace guild with me again this month! It was nice to "lunch" with all you ladies and gents. I hope you enjoyed your cucumber sandwiches and had a good time.
Of course, you must have, because "a good time was had by all", was it not?
*
Hee hee, comments are always welcome. If you are new to this blog then, WELCOME! I love comments and each one is read and cherished!
Are you wondering where the tatting is? I didn't get any done! I was busy teaching two different interested students to tat! It was neat to have ladies wanting to learn tatting. Hence, no tatting pics today.
Tah-tah for now!
~TattingChic
*air kisses*

42 absolutely fabulous things were said:

Grizzly Mountain Arts said...

I sure wish our backyard looked like that! LOL The "cookie" pillow is something I hadn't seen before and that antique lace is amazing. Thanks for sharing all of these photos with us!

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

Faaaabulous lunch Dahwling!

Lace hearts said...

I love that Irish lace, how gorgeous. It sounds as if you had a scrummy time. And teaching tatting is a good excuse for not having anything to show. Well done you!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Oh, how I wish we had a lace guild here! My friend Denise and I have talked about starting one, but we're afraid we'd be the only ones attending!

The cucumber sandwiches look yummy! ...the cookies too!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the invite I had a great time but next time may I suggest less sandwiches and more sweets.

Kathleen Grace said...

The antique lace just takes my breath away! I would have to find a way to display it where everone could see it if it were mine.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

How fun! That Irish lace is incredible and my mouth drooled at that plate of goodies! Yum!

NeereAnDear said...

I am in awe of that Irish lace... so stunning... I love to imagine the delicate hands that made it back then...

Looks like a good time was definitely had by all with lots of goodies and wonderful friends

JO

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

Long time no comment... sorry I haven't been round to visit for a while but thank you for keeping up visiting me and leaving me comments!

Glad you liked my shy retiring photos(!)... I'll be posting more this evening hopefully from a Ball I attended a couple of weeks ago, my friends & I had such fun with the photographer!

Thank you for sharing your lunch with us, looks like you had fun

Victoria xxx

Betzie said...

I love LOVE old lace. I have quite a bit, but I also use it in things I make. Sometimes I hate to do that, but otherwise it just sits and collects dust. I love that piece, I'd go to a party like that any day, just my style! Is the lace about 150 years old? Just a guess, I have no idea! LOL

Tracy said...

Thanks for sharing, TattingChic...that goes look like good time! Such food... I like cucumber sandwiched ;o) What beautiful beyond belief lace... *SWOON*...Happy Day, my friend ((HUGS))

Attic Clutter said...

persnickety Oh I love it(:) yes that lace is fabulous ~!! and The food looks delish too(:)
A really fun post~
hugs, Patty

Unknown said...

Ah, Grizzly Mountain Arts! I wish that my backyard looked like that, too! How would it be...sigh!

Yes, thunnnk you, DAH~link Lady Makeroftheshuttlez...MWAH!(air kiss to the cheek).

Hellow Lace Hearts! Isn't the IRish Crochet lovely. It was a nice time..hee hee, even more lovely having you stop by.

Hi Diane. LOL! Well, just the two of you at the lace guild? That's not much less than what we had on Saturday. We only had 4 regular members and the other 2 were very welcome visitors.

Clyde, dahling, you may suggest it, but it ain't gonna happen! LOL! ;) Just kidding!!! Usually that is all that seems to be brought is sweets. It was actually a visitor that brought the cucumber sandwiches and it was fun to dine on them.

The antique lace is lovely, isn't it, Kathleen Grace! That is one thing that they SURE don't make like they used to. I would love to learn to make something as lovely as that!

Hi Becky, thanks for visiting. Glad you could join us for lunch! LOL!

Hi Jo, thanks for the comment, a good time was had by all, thank you!

What, Victoria? But you're a "super-commenter"! ;) I guess with all your jet-setting who has time for blogging! Such is the life of someone with a social life!

Hi Betzie. I think using a bit of old lace is so nice on a needlework piece or what the CQ'ers do with it is fabulous, too! I don't know exactly how old the antique lace piece is, I just know that it was from "around the turn of the century". THat was all I was told.

Hi Tracy, thanks for your comment! The lace is lovely, isn't it? So glad you came to visit today! ((hugs)) back to you, friend!

Aw, thanks Patty! Glad you liked the post. It was nice having you over to visit.

Betty said...

Hi. I came over from Charming Designs and love your posts. My grandmother was a 'tatter' and I have just a couple of her things. No one else in our family is so talented. I've tried knitting (dishcloths) and crocheting (broomstick afghans); but, that's my limit. I'm creatively challenged, but will return to your posts time and again because I love the beautiful things you create. Take care.

Cottage Rose said...

Looks like a very fun time love the old lace so pretty. All those women with all that talent in one room how great that must have been. I do love your work the food looks very yummy yum...

Hugs;
Alaura

Tattycat said...

Ooh, I was I had been there. Thanks for sharing these things so I can experience them as well. The lace is beautiful!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! The lace is beautiful and the food looks YUMMY! Cucumber sandwiches and all!

Picket said...

Hello friend..I love seeing beautiful handsewn pieces like that...it is such a beautiful talent to create something that beautiful with your hands...looks like a great times was had by all for sure! lol Thanks so much for coming by...please come back any time!

Rosemary said...

Thank you!
It's a bit scary though.
Looking at your photos!
Rosemary

Unknown said...

Welcome, Betty! I'm so glad you stopped by! How sweet that your grandmother was a tatter! I hope you enjoy your visit and come back often. As you can see from my links there are many tatting bloggers!

Hi Alaura, lace guild meetings are neat in that it is nice to share a love for something that is hard to find in others.

Oh, I wish you were there, too, Tattycat! I think you would've like the lace guild ladies, and they, YOU! :)

Thank you, Thimbleanna! I'm glad you enjoyed it! LOL! Your visits are always delightful.

So glad you stopped by, Picket! What a lovely comment, thank you!

LOL! It's a bit scary looking through my photos!?! LOL, why thank YOU, Rosemary! Ha ha I know what you meant: you were responding to my comment on your blog post today. It's a bit scary to open your Etsy shop AND you were just looking through my photos, I'm glad you stopped by to look! Come again, anytime! :)

Anonymous said...

Nothing skiddywompus about that gaaarden, daaaarlings!
I didn't have to wait for a party to get that word into a conversation!

Maureen said...

I am here from Dantatter's blog! I hope tea was served in the most translucent of bone china? Cucumber sandwiches and lace, could there be a more perfect afternoon?

Bella Sinclair said...

Now you've put me in the mood for cucumber sandwiches.

Mmm, did you make those Florentine cookies?? How clever! They look really yummy and delicate. And that beautiful, beautiful lace. Can you imagine your incredible tatted pieces being admired 100 years from now? It's a little sad that the maker of that lace is unknown and uncredited.

Coincidentally, I had lunch with my White Elephant committee ladies today. No finger sandwiches, but a nice time was had by all.

Unknown said...

Hee hee! Yes, virtual quilter, you DID find a way to work "sciddywompus" into a conversation! It is a perfect word to have on hand for certain situations...those situations being "sciddywompus", of course!

LOL, Maureen, yes, tea was served, but in whatever chunky ceramic mugs people thought to bring, LOL! I think the reason I didn't mention that it was actually a tea party is because everyone posting about their own tea parties would be profoundly disappointed by the lack of aesthetics accompanying the tea service, LOL! If you've blog hopped enough, you'd know what I mean!
BTW, speaking of bloghopping, I hope you hop on over anytime and often!

Hi Bella Sinclair, sadly I cannot take credit for creating the lovely and delicious Florentine cookies. The credit goes to Bristol Farms, a fabulous grocery store in in So. Cal, and I'm not kidding when I say "fabulous grocery store", it's amazing. It would be something to have my lace admired 100 years from now, but I don't want to think about it :O
So glad to hear you ALL had a good time at the white elephant luncheon! Thank you so much for stopping by to "lunch" with me, LOL!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

You certainly add beauty and pleasantries to the world! I enjoyed going to the lace guild with you. That antique lace was Amazing! It does look like a good time was had by all. Have a wonderful day! Twyla

MelMel said...

Hello!

Gum boots are an old fashioned word for wellies....
They are wonderful socks, i just love tham!

Thank you for popping in to say hi!
xxxx

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

I am in awe of the intricate details!
And I've enjoyed a cucumber sandwich or two in my day. :)

A Romantic Porch said...

Oh I absolutely love lace. I guess I need to find a lace guild. Then maybe I could munch on a cucumber sandwich...something I've never done. I must not be a proper lady!!!!!xorachel

April said...

Aww sad face for me....*jealous* that looked like FUN!

I totally know what you mean when finding those old clippings...

Can you imagine reading, "There was a small gathering at the Durham house where pizza was served and a good time was had by all."

What is it about a cucumber sandwich that's so darn classy?

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

What wonderful pictures! I loved the crochet lace. After seeing it, I had to dig out the pics of my filet crochet birds and put it on my blog. Now I want to do filet again. I love reading your blog. You inspire me. :)

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Good Morning TattingChic,

It was a lovely party indeed, the cucumber sandwiches were wonderful but I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the Florentine lace cookies on your lace, is that real lace on your cake platter? It's all very beautiful.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Kathi :)

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Even though I don't Tat or know anything about it I would have loved being there with all of that creativity!
Penny

Adrienne said...

The lace guild party looks fabulous. I love cucumber sandwiches.

Unknown said...

Oh, I just love how you show the lace being made. Never mind, I would much rather come to a place where everyone welcomes you than an affair held by snobs. You make me really want to learn how to do this with every beautiful post that you write. Thanks for the cucumber sandwiches. Karen

Unknown said...

Aw, thank you, Twyla! That is a very kind thing to say! Thank you so much!

Hello, melmel, thank you for the education on terms from across the pond! I love it! Your gum boot socks are cute!

Hi, Cathy! Aren't cucumber sandwiches delightful? Hee hee! They almost make ya want to eat them with the pink up and out, LOL!

LOL, Rachel, cucumber sandwiches are not hard to make...bread, cream cheese, sliced cucmbers... VOILA'!!! There you are! So, go on, have one and then you'll wonder..."what's all the fuss about?" ROFLOL!

April, EXACTLY! What IS IT about a cucumber sandwich that is so classy!?! I've been trying to figure it out my whole life. I remember looking so confusedly at my mother wondering what these people were "on"...LOL!

Thank you, Stitchy McFloss! I do hope you visit often. I appreciate your sweet comment.

LOL, Kathi! No, it's in the pattern of the lovely cake pedestal. Isn't it beautiful? My adopted Mom gave it to me. She knows I like lace.

Hi, Penny, and you would've been welcomed with open arms!!!

Adrienne, tell me, how do you make your cucumber sandwiches??? Any cucumber sandwich secrets you'd like to share with us??? Hmmmm....???

Hi Karen, the lace guild party was fun. That would be neat if you learned tatting. Let me know if I can help in someway to point you in some way!

BumbleVee said...

darn bloglines is not updating again it seems.... now look....I missed my cucumber sandwiches and cookies! looks like you all had a fun time for sure. ..

the shoe boxes are for Operation Christmas Child.... we used to wrap our own shoeboxes, but now you can pick up ready made at various stores. Even though it is a Christian based organization (and, I am not of any faith)...I like that fact that kids living in situations where they may never in their lifetimes receive a gift, do get this one. I used to volunteer at the huge local depot but gave it up when some people got too big for their britches... now I just do my own. Sometimes a few friends show up and we have our own depot...it's fun to pack them up and send them off each year....

www.samaritanspurse.ca/occ/

robin dudley-howes said...

Hi
Thank you for leaving such nice comments on my blog. I really, really love them! Your lace guild looks fun. When I was in my twenties I met an elderly lady at my work and we got to know each other. She gave me my first tatted piece and I love it to this day. It's nice to see the tradition is being kept alive.
robin

Joanne Kennedy said...

Oh yes! If there are cucumber sandwiches then it was a good time! I love those. In fact I had them today too. See my Sunday post. LOL

I just love seeing all your fancy lace so I can ooh and ahh over it.

I really want to learn how to make lace. The more I read your blog and see your beautiful work the more I want to learn. I just don't have a clue how to learn.

Hugs,
Joanne

rochambeau said...

All looks wonderful in the
Land of Tatt!
Nice cookies too Tattingchic!
xox
Constance

Veronica said...

Oh my goodness, I love this. Yes,yes and triple yes I remember all those clippings. I would sit there and just close my eyes hoping someday it would be me having those funny no crust sandwiches. When I was 8 my grandmother took me to a fancy hotel in Cananda and I had ham with butter sandwiches and NO CRUST. At that point I knew I had made it in the rich and famous world. Well, just for the day but oh my gosh we had to wear little white gloves and drink tea with our pinky fingers crooked. Isn't it amazing how something as small as a crustless sandwich can take you to a world a million miles away and bring memories of a lifetime ago.
Thank you so much for helping me escape if only for a moment today.
hugs Veronica

Unknown said...

Hi Bumblevee, thanks for visiting!
Oh, that organization sounds great and that is so sweet of you to think of those that might need some Christmas cheer!

Thank you for YOUR nice comment, Robin! That story about the elderly lady you made friends with and the tatted lace sounds really sweet!

Hi Joanne! Perhaps you can find a lace guild close to you to have someone in person teach you! There are a few lace guilds in the So Cal area! Surely you can find one in a driveable distance?

LOL, thank you, Constance! Glad you came to visit.

LOL, Veronica! What a dream come true to be able to go to tea and wear gloves as a child! I think that would be about the age (8) that I wanted so much to grow up to be one of the rich ladies having cucumber sandwiches and being written up in the local paper, LOL! Ah, well, I've aspired to more useful things in the community at large, I believe! :)

talia said...

Jeesh!! I just cannot even begin to fathom lace making to that extent. Absolutely stunning! So lovely! It seems as though a good time was genuinely had by all! I wish i was there!! :D

cheers,
talia