Wednesday, April 8, 2009

It Was Just A Joke!!!

Remember this cake? The one I showed on my blogoversary party post?

This one here:
For those of you who wanted a piece of that cake that I showed on my blogoversary, I feel like I should come clean with you. It was just a joke. Oh, I did make the cake, alright! It just wasn't a real cake! It was a styrofoam cake dummy covered with real buttercream frosting!

You see, I had signed up to take a Lambeth Style cake decorating class and we had to bring a 10-inch round cake. I had no time to bake a cake so I purchased a 10-inch round styrofoam cake dummy which fit the class requirements.

I covered it with real frosting, though!

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Don't feel too left out if you didn't get a piece of that cake, you weren't missing out on much! It was rather, how shall I put it, "dry"! LOL!


I even ended up taking it to work with me on April Fool's Day to see if I could get any takers, LOL! It was fun seeing people trying to cut through a styrofoam cake. The funny thing was, after one person would try to cut the cake it hardly showed the knife marks in the frosting so it was easy to get another "innocent passerby". They loved it! The people I had just fooled would quickly clean off the knife and say, "Oh, that was a great joke!" and get the area ready for the next person to walk by! Don't worry, I had real sugar cookies on hand to soothe any ruffled feathers that might have occured during my "April Fooling".

If you'd like to see how the cake was made, then check out these photos below that I took of the process during the class. The photos with the all white frosting on them are of the teacher's demo cake from the class.


~*~


Here's step 1 and 2:
Step 3:

Step 4:

Steps 5, and 6:

Step 7a:
trace a curved line w/ a toothpick)

Step 7b:
(Pipe over that line with curl-q's)
Step 7c:
(Using a star tip pipe over the curly-q's)
Step 8:
Steps 9, 10, and 11 on the bottom of the cake:

Finish it off with the pink piped icing,
green leaves, pink fondant flowers, and
Voila'!


This style of cake decorating was developed by a man
by the name of Joseph Lambeth.
It was first popularized in the 1930's.
Here's a little bit of information on the

If you'd like to see some fabulous examples of
Lambeth style cakes take a peek here, here, and here.

***

I took some photos of some other beautiful cakes
(these are not Lambeth Style, but just pretty)
on display at the cake store where
the class was held.
***
Here's a beautiful lacy cake.
The following photos are some close-ups of
the beautiful lacy details:

I am showing you those because I dream of making
"tatted lace" out of frosting for a cake!
Can you picture it?
Wouldn't that look so pretty!?!
Say, if I ever really do it you guys will be the first to know!


I'll finish off with this other lovely display cake.
Notice the beautiful lacy hearts on the bottom.
Gorgeous, aye?

~*~


Well, that concludes my Lambeth Style and lacy cake post! Hope you enjoyed all the lovely, sweet confections and please don't go into a sugar coma looking at all that frosting, LOL! I hope you don't mind me 'fessing up, either! Hope you are having a wonderful week and be sure to leave a comment before you run off! Thanks for visiting!
Cheers,
TattingChic
xoxo

47 absolutely fabulous things were said:

Nancy G said...

You are too funny! Considering it was a 'virtual party' I think it was STILL pretty darn good!!! VBG
What beautiful workmanship! Thanks for sharing.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

What a beautiful way to decorate a cake! How long did it take? Wow, it turned out so pretty!!
Penny

cherished*vintage said...

Awesome April Fool's joke!! Your decorating turned out beautiful. I took a cake decorating class once, but we didn't learn anything that fabulous. I can't wait to see your tatting lace cake - that will be spectacular!
-Karoline

Donna said...

You are funny! At least you helped me keep to my diet while still enjoying a beautiful cake! LOL

Twyla and Lindsey said...

You still did a beautiful job even if it was syrfoam! Twyla

Paula said...

NO CAKE? UGH!
I've had my head in the mailbox Charlie Brown style for two weeks waiting for it! LOL
Okay, I'll forgive you.

Gosh, those cakes are way too pretty! Even if they are a little "dry" inside... can I still lick the frosting off?

Marilee Rockley said...

Yummy icing, anyway, LOL. Those are absolutely gorgeous cakes, and oh, the lacy ones would be perfect for a tatting party! Wish you lived closer, sigh.

Gina said...

Yes, they're all gorgeous! I think I have a pic somewhere of a chocolate cake with some piped white design that I thought would be very pretty tatted lace so I filed it away for inspiration!

Suzanne said...

All of those cakes come under the heading of: too pretty to eat. It would take a few glasses of champagne to get up the nerve to sink a knife into one.

Lace hearts said...

well, I think it was perfect for offering to your blog friends! Looks really are everything when it comes to these virtual cakes. LOL.

Lil said...

You won a giveaway over at pretty petals. Did you see it?

Sharon D. said...

Still looks good enough to eat.

Fete et Fleur said...

Your good and naughty all at the same time! The cake (foam) you decorated was gorgeous and the April Fool's joke was really evil! Thank you for giving them the sugar cookies. It made me feel so much better. (LOL)

Nancy

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

OH my Gosh! You had me fooled. LOL!! You are hysterical TattingChic. Your post just brought the biggest smile to my face. You are so creative. The cake was gorgeous. You will pass your class with honors, I'm sure.

Lil said...

my mistake- it was cupid's charm.

http://cupidscharm.blogspot.com/2009/04/celebrating-marie-antoinette-final.html

I am so rottenly jealous!!! =)

Umintsuru said...

I would love to do a class in cake decorating. Cool and what a great idea to use a styrofoam cake

Unknown said...

Hi Nancy, thanks for the comment. Glad you stopped by.

Hi Penny! The class was about 2-3 hours long.

Hi Karoline. That is cool that you took a cake decorating class! This was a special one time class just to learn how to make that particular cake. You had to have prior cake decorating experience (basically, just know how to pipe frosting) in order to take it.

Hi Donna! Well, so glad you didn't blow your diet, LOL! Ididn't blow mine, either!

Hi Twyla, glad you liked the "cake"!

LOL! Paula, you are a hoot! Love the humorous comment.

Hi Yarnplayer! Wouldn't it be totally fun to get together with all of our internet tatting friends for a party!?! We could have tatting and cake, oh, and chocolate, of course! What fun that would be!

Very cool, Gina! I'm glad I'm not alone in my tatting confectionary "visions"! LOL! It's so nice to have bloggy friend who "get" my creative side!

LOL! Well, Suzanne, you don't have to worry about it cuz they're not "really" cakes, LOL!

Yes, Lace Hearts, you definately have a point, there with the "looks are everything" when it comes to the blog parties, LOL!

Thank you, Lil, I see you already answered my question (I left on your blog) further down the blog comments. Yes, I did see it on Cupid's Charm and I still haven't heard from her... bummer. I hope she still writes my email I left on her contact info place.

Thank you, Sharon D!

Hi Nancy! It made YOU feel better, LOL! It made ME feel better. I wouldn't have made an april fool's day joke like that "on purpose", but since I had the "cake" so close to April fool's day I couldn't resist! I brought the cookies just so there were no hurt feelings; I was going for smiles, not hurt feelings. It's very important to me to not hurt anyone's feelings, but that happens sometimes anyway...that's life.

Thanks Carol! You always say the sweetest things! I really appreciate all your kind comments and visits! Keep them coming! :)
Well, I don't know about passing my class "with honors" since I was the "problem child" of the group, not having time to bake the cake and all! LOL!

Hi Umintsuru! I think you would do very well in a cake decorating class! Since you have tension down well in your tatting (it's apparent in your double stitches that I have seen up close), those subtle movements of the fingers definately help in the pressure on the bags for piping frosting. You'd love it, I'm sure! I hope you find a class somewhere!

Bella Sinclair said...

Dang, so where's my sugar cookie!?

Jeepers, missy, you are just so talented! I'd love to see a cake with your tatted lace on it. How gorgeous would THAT be. :)

Linda said...

I love a good April fools day joke, that one was a great one. I hope you have a wonderful Easter.
Cheers Linda

Draffin Bears said...

Oh you are such a tease!
Your cake decorating skills are amazing and it really looks so good.

Like the lamington substitute - have you ever heard of these?

Have a lovely Easter weekend TattingChic

Hugs
Carolyn

Natasha Burns said...

Love that cake, this decorating style looks so time consuming but beautiful. Loving the lace too, I'd love to see a tatted version, please do show us if you get around to it!

Tatskool said...

At least you get to keep your work forever!! Sounds like a wonderful class. I thought the cake was tasting of nothing much in my mind!!

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

What a great april fools joke!

Thank you for yesterday's birthday wishes

Victoria xx

Tracy said...

LOL! But what a beautifully decorated "fake" cake, TattingChic! ;o) I really enjoyed learning about this style of cake decorating and the history behind it. I love the lacy details..breathtaking! Cake decorating looks like fun! :o) We're on Easter break now...So I'll be taking a blog break until after the weekend. Hope you have a lovely Easter, my friend ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

Wow~~those 'cakes' are gorgeous!
How did you keep from cracking up BEFORE anyone even tried to cut your cake?? Love.IT!! Great joke!
Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a post~~and Yes! Bloggy friends are sooo wonderful!

Happy Easter~
Hugs,
Lynn

Unknown said...

Hi Bella, gee, thanks for your very sweet compliment. Well a cake with my tatted lace on it might be pretty, but it would probably be a little too much fiber, don't you think??? LOL! ;)

Thank you, Linda! I hope you have a fabulous Easter, too!

Hi Carolyn! You're very generous about my cake decorating skills, LOL! I thought my hands were a bit too shaky, LOL! In your comment you said,
"Like the lamington substitute - have you ever heard of these?"
I have to say, no, I haven't. I have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe I will have to google that! You have a lovely Easter, too!

Hi Natasha Burns! Thanks for stopping by. Glad you like the Lambeth Style cake. I think this one actually worked up pretty fast. The class was 2-3 hours long, but I could probably decorate it at home faster now that I've done it once already!

Oh, I don't know about keeping that cake "forever", Tatskool! LOL! That cake is LONG GONE as of the end of April Fool's Day! Yup! After the 5th or 6th person hacked into it there wasn't much left to be joking about and it got tossed. It did pretty well! I thought that after the first person cut into it that there would be no more fooling, but there was, to my suprise!

Thanks, Victoria, and you're welcome!

Hi Tracy, thanks for stopping by before your break! Hope you have a lovely Easter. Glad you like the Lambeth Style cake and the other cakes that are pretty, too. I don't know what the names of their styles are called, though.

Hi Lynn! To answer your question, I didn't! Nope, I had to leave the area most of the time I was giggling so much! It was fun, though!

talia said...

That cake is beautiful! I took a decorating class too but it was just too much clean up for me, i'm so lazy and i even had a dishwasher! What a lovely job you did and how silly! It does look good enough to eat!

Jessica Rodarte said...

*chuckly* you fooled me!! lol

Margie said...

tee hee hee! What a marvelous April Fool's joke! Those cakes are absolutely lovely! The icing itself looks so delicious!

Have a lovely day!
Margie :)

Donna Lynn said...

That was funny, bet you got a huge kick out of that! You did a lovely job on your "dummy" cake, the frosting was wonderful, which I consider the best part of the cake anyway!

XO,
Donna Lynn

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Beautiful cake, be it real or faux!

Have a lovely Easter weekend.
xo~Tracie

Unknown said...

I know what you mean, Talia! It is a lot of clean up and set up and mess, LOL! It's sure fun, though! I love the results and especially the looks on people's faces when you share the beautifully decorated goodie with them!

LOL! YOu're cute, Kid's Napping? I'm Scrapping!

Hi Margie! It was a fun April Fool's joke, thanks! I don't like jokes at someone's expense so I generally try to avoid April Fooling, but this one seemed to be fun for everyone. LOL!

Thanks, Donna Lynn! I like the frosting the best, too! That's what "makes" the cake! I guess you could even say that the frosting "takes the cake", LOL!

Thank you so much, Tracie! Happy Easter to you, too! :)

Unknown said...

YOU SILLY GIRL!!!! But you know what? It is FABulous!!!! You should make and sell faux cakes girl, you rock!!! Beautiful!!
Hugs,
Amy

Unknown said...

LOL!! I love the comment you just left on my blog, you are a doll! You know what, It is getting to that point in my house, lol! I am going to have to put a stop to it or open a store, lol! My poor family! I think it is an addiction, maybe I need help, lol!

YES YES YES!!! I love your name for the faux treat shoppe!! I truly hope you do it! You know I would order :):) It fits right in with bunny candyland, lol!

Love ya :)

Unknown said...

Amy, Amy! You're a DOLL! Love ya, girly girl!!! Thanks for your encouraging words and genuine sweetness! I would love to learn more about faux treats. Where to begin??? I have no idea!

Dean Grey said...

TattingChic!

That has got to be the best April Fool's Day joke ever!

The cakes turned out really nice; yours and the everyone else's in the cake decorating class.

Very ornate and intricate.

Now go bake a REAL cake so you can decorate it and eat it this time! LOL

-Dean

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

What a great joke!! I was laughing just picturing what those people must have looked like trying to cut it. How did you keep a straight face while they tried??

The cake was VERY beautiful. What a talented lady you are.
Patricia :o)

paperbird said...

Gorgeous cakes- the lace cake is amazing.

I want cake!

Kathy Raker said...

Happy Easter! No wonder you didn't let me know what flavor it was. LOL! Perhaps a new flavor "El styro". You did great work anyway!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Girl you got talent!!! Wishing you a Happy Easter!

Hugs!
Maryjane

♥ Noelle ♥ said...

hi! thanks for visiting my blog! that cake sure does look real:) funny april fools joke!!

noelle :)

Valerie said...

I love the lacy cake! Do decorate your cake with 'tatting lace'. That'll be the ultimate celebration for us tatters.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Dean! I appreciate your very nice comment. Real cake sounds like a fabulous idea! The next time I bake a real cake and decorate it I'll be sure to take photos and I'll be taking it into work to make up for the joke, LOL!
Besides, it'll be less calories for me!

Oh, Patricia! It was hard to keep a straight face, believe me! I had to hold it in until they would cut into the "cake" and the funniest part was when they would try to tactfully deal with the knife getting stuck in the styrofoam...and they'd try to act like it wasn't wierding them out because they didn't want to offend me, LOL! Oh, that was the best!

Thanks, Paperbird! Aren't those two cakes on the bottom just amazing! Oh, to be that talented!

LOL! Oh, Kathy, that reminds me; when people would ask me what kind of cake it was I would say "white, it's a white cake". Which was true! LOL! The styrofoam was white!

Thanks, Mary Jane! So glad you stopped by!

Welcome, Noelle! Thanks for the comment.

Oh, wouldn't that be fun!?! Okay, Valerie, when I do, it'll be a tatting blogger party for sure! :)

somethingcraftybydottie said...

What a beautiful way to decorate a cake! How long did it take?
The Cars were just beautiful. you have some pretty good talent there with decorating your cakes.you should own a special type bakery for special occasions. you would make a fortune!
God Bless your work is spectacular!!and Happy Easter.
Hugs ; )
♥♥♥
Dottie
PS I love Cats too ! we have too and a little dog too.
Come and visit and become one of my followers and friends too. I will be watching for you..
http://holidayfloralpieces.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Hi Dottie, thanks for visiting. I appreciate your very friendly comment. I did go visit your blog and left a comment! Here's hoping that you and yours had a very Happy Easter!

Sarah MomE25 said...

I think it is so pretty. You did a great job!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Sarah! I appreciate the compliment. :)