Friday, May 8, 2009

Oh, Baby!!!

With Mother's Day on the horizon many of us have thoughts turned to motherly things such a nurturing, kindness and other qualities that we usually associate with mothering. It just so happens that someone that I work with is about to become a new mother. In honor of her up and coming new status of "Mom" I tatted her some baby booties!

~*~
I finally finished them.
Here they are!
Oh, Baby, did they take forever to make!
They were worth it though.
Here is a closer look at the rosettes on the toes.
Little "rosie toes"!

I decided to make them in white.
Since tatted booties are meant to be worn over
little baby socks the white can go with
any color of sock and she can change the color of
ribbon at will!
Here's a side view.

Bottom of the baby bootie.

I hope she likes them!

More than that...I hope they fit the baby!
They are kind of funny shaped baby booties.
I used a vintage Workbasket Magazine pattern from
March 1969. I revised the pattern a bit by crawling
out of rounds with a split ring or a split chain here and there
to reduce the number of cut and ties...thereby reducing
the number of ends to hide. Wow, that split-chain
sure comes in handy!

I used white Opera brand cotton crochet thread
size 30. I liked tatting with it. When I had to open
up a ring or two in order to fix a mistake it opened
smoothly with this thread for me.
They count as
Motif #3
in my 2nd round of The 25 Motif Challenge!

~*~

So when this Mother's Day comes upon us I hope you take the time to reflect on the good things your Mother has given you. I know that not all of us have been blessed with fabulous Mothers so if you happen to fit in that category it might be a good time to reflect on the blessings that other people who have been like Mothers have been in your life. God bless all the Mothers!
Love,
~TattingChic
xoxo

89 absolutely fabulous things were said:

Ruby said...

TattingChic, that's the kind of gift she'll be saving for her grandchild! Such an heirloom. They are sweet and special! Ruby

Unknown said...

WOW, those are beautiful! Awesome job!

Fox said...

Well said, TattingChic!

Those little shoes are delightful! What a wonderful gift. Very unique and very special.

Free Art Printables said...

Those booties are so cute! Hey e-mail me your address, I have something I want to mail you! Jen

Unknown said...

Thank you Ruby. That is a very sweet thing to say. I hope she does appreciate them. She seems to appreciate handmade items.

Thanks Tonya! I appreciate it.

Hi Fox, thank you!I hope to get them to the Mom-to-be before the baby comes!

Thank Jen! Wow!!! For me!! I did send an email. I hope you get it. Please let me know if you did not and I'll try a different email. I guess you'll email me back if you did! :)

SY said...

The booties are beautiful TattingChic and babies, ahhh, they are like magic.

Krystle said...

Must.....have.....pattern!

Any idea where I can find a copy of that workbasket?

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

The booties are beautiful! I think I have that pattern along with a tatted baby hat. My mom laminated the pattern and saved it for years, but she didn't learn to tat until she came up to visit me last spring. I think I might have to give them a try!

Carolyn said...

I love those booties -great gift!
Have a good weekend,
Carolyn

Elyse said...

what a lovely gift! those will become family heirlooms for sure.

{and yes, how FUN it would be to go shopping with blogging pals. i totally agree!}

xo

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

The booties are so sweet and just precious! I know the Mother will hold onto them for a long, long time and hopefully pass down to her baby as she grows up!

Nancy said...

Oh my, those are just absolutely gorgeous! I'm awstruck!

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

What beautiful booties and what a lovely post for everyone this Mother's Day. Have a beautiful weekend!
xo~Tracie

Anonymous said...

Oh those booties are just beautiful!!I have seen that pattern before and wanted to learn to tat just to make those~~tee-hee!
Thanks so much for sharing that lovely gift of love!

Hugs,
Lynn

Draffin Bears said...

Hi TattingChic,

What precious little booties.
They are too beautiful for words.
I keep going back to have another look.

What a lovely post for everyone this Mother's day.

Enjoy your weekend
Hugs
Carolyn

tattrldy said...

Great looking booties! That's the same pattern I used for my grandson's baptism a couple of months ago. And did they take forever! It's very sweet of you to make your friend a set. Quite the keepsake.

Unknown said...

Hi Sy, thank you! Yes, babies are like magic aren't they! They have a way of transforming us adults into silly idiots cooing and coddling them, LOL!

Hi Krystle! The Workbasket Magazine is still under copyright and I lucked out in that I inherited my grandmother's vintage workbasket collection. I'm so glad she saved them! I hope you got my message on your blog.

That is very cool that you have the pattern, Diane! Yes, I have the matching bonnet pattern, too! It's in the February 1969 Workbasket! So pretty!

Thank you, Carolyn! I appreciate that because I really admire your taste and sense of style!

Hi Elyse! I hope they will be treasured. The gal I made them for sure seems to appreciate handmade items so it is nice to give these to her. I wouldn't tat baby booties for just anyone, believe me!

Hello, Southern Lady Vintage! Thank you for your sweet comment. That is a nice thought, isn't it.

Awww, thanks Nancy!

Thank you so much, Tracie! You have a great Mother's Day Weekend, too!

That is sweet, Lynn! You must have had access to the Workbasket magazine ages ago...or maybe they are in one of their Aunt Ellen's pattern books they put out from time to time.

Thank you, Carolyn, you're so sweet! I'm glad you like the booties! It's so nice to be able to "share" them here on my blog before they run off forever!

Hi Tattrldy! How sweet of you to make them for your grandson! Oh, they seemed like an eternity! When I was tatting them I remembered why I don't do this pattern very often, LOL! I think I've tatted them twice before and the last time was like 16 years ago...OMGosh!! Is that baby I last tatted them for really 16 years old! HOLY COW!!! LOL!

Joanne Kennedy said...

Those have to be the sweetest little booties I've ever seen! You know the mommy to be will cry when she gets them. I know I would. They are just darling!

You do such wonderful work!

Hugs,
Joanne

Lace hearts said...

Goodness, those are something else. My jaw dropped open. You always take my breath away, but those booties are incredible. Even my 12 year old, sat beside me as I clicked onto your site, said wow.
I hope the recipient appreciates the amount of work.

Tatskool said...

That sure was a labour of love, they do take forever to make but they look sooo lovely. They will be a treasure in that family for ever.

meandering pearl said...

Oh my goodness i about fell off my chair when i saw these!!!!! how dreamy!! they will be so well loved!!! loveliest of wishes

Mona said...

What a beautiful present..must see them on!

xxx Mona

Wendy said...

Wow! Those are really gorgeous! You did a really great job on it.

Lynn B said...

Oh my gosh these are absolutely gorgeous!

Bella Sinclair said...

Oh good grief. You could've blown me over with a feather, I was so awestruck. My GOODNESS, those booties are absolutely incredible! Heirlooms, definitely! See, here is how ignorant I am about tatting. I thought you could only make flat objects. But booties??? No way! W.O.W. She is going to absolutely flip, which is kinda dangerous being that she's preggers and all.

Unknown said...

Oh My goodness they are too sweet!!

Gina said...

The booties are so sweet! Last night as I packed for my class to teach today, I found ONE bootie I tatted. I was tatting christening booties for a friend but the baby was 6 mo. old before babtism so she was not newborn size! I had to make some bigger booties. LOL! My plan is to make the other one to match this one and give to my son & new wife for their future babies.

Kathleen Grace said...

These are the most beautiful baby booties I have ever seen! Ever! Your friend is going to be so happy to get them for her little one:>)

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Those booties are the sweetest thing I've ever seen. Just gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Holy Moly, such intricate, incredible, sweet and wonderful things! I had a great-grandma who tatted. She was from Lituania. I'm adding your link to my blogroll - will you add mine too, please? Happy Pink Saturday and Mother's Day to us, one and all!

xJ
MaidenShade.wordpress.com
MaidenShade.com

Snap said...

Workbasket Magazine... I remember those!! Beautiful booties! She'll love them and I bet they get passed down ... generation to generation.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Joanne! I'm glad you like them. You know, it's funny that you say that the Mommy will cry when she gets them, someone that knows her at work said she probably will, too! LOL! I don't know...I won't be there when she gets them because she's already on leave now and I couldn't be there last week for health reasons. Bummer!

Thank you, Lace Hearts! I'm glad you and your 12 year old enjoyed looking at them together. That's sweet.

Thanks, Tatskool. I hope so. I sure don't tat stuff for anybody...especially booties, but you never know; she seems to appreciate handmade things, tho'!

Thank you, Meandering Pearl! You are very sweet! Hope you didn't hurt yourself when you almost fell off of your chair! LOL! ;)

Hi Mona, thanks for stopping by. I don't know if I'll be able to get a pic of the booties on the little recipient. Her Mom will be on leave for sometime I don't know what she will bring her in to visit wearing...or if I will have a camera that day...yadda yadda yadda. Not likely that I'll get a pic on, sorry!

Thank you, Wendy! I was hoping they would turn out okay. Being stuffed with pink tissue helps a lot because the natural shape of the pattern is kinda wierd, LOL!

Thank you, Lynn B! I'm glad you like them!

Blown you over with a feather, Bella? Are you not eating again, my dear? Goodness you must be light as a...well, FEATHER! LOL! Thanks and I'm glad you like the booties!

Thank you so much, Shirley!

Oh, what a funny story, Gina! What a bummer to find out the little feet were way too big after tatting one bootie. At least you have 1/2 of the project done for the next pair. That's a great idea to give them to your son and his wife...what a great hint, too! ;)

Hi Kathleen Grace! I hope she likes them. I also hope I am able to get them to her before the little one arrives!

Thank you, Rebecca! I'm glad you stopped by to see them!

Thank you for stopping by, Maidenshade. WElcome! I hope you come back often. Thank you for sharing the story about your Grandmother from Lithuania tatting! That is neat. I wonder if you have any of her tatting left? That's so kind of you to add my blog to your blog roll, but you don't have to. I would never want anyone to feel pressured about that sort of thing...since it's rather a voluntary thing, don't you think? ;)

Hi Snap! That is a lovely thought. It would be nice if that did happen, but I have no control over that.

Linda said...

Hi Tatting Chick....your co-worker is not only going to like these precious booties...she will love them. They are just beautiful and will be treasured keepsakes. Hugs, Linda

Déjà View Designs said...

Oh My Gosh! My grandmother taught me how to tat when I was a little girl and I am the only one left in our massive family that can carry on the tradition. Your work is absolutely STUNNING!

Juli (half of the DejaViewDesigns team)

Diana said...

They turned out exquisite, you just can't duplicate something made with tatting, way to go, have a great Mother's Day.

Betty said...

Those little booties are just the cutest things. I'm sure the Mom-to-be will appreciate your talent and your thoughtfulness!

The Victorian Parlor said...

Those little shoes are amazing! She will love them and no doubt her baby will look like a little princess when she wears them:) What a gracious gift sure to become an heirloom!

Blessings,

Kim

Betzie said...

Oh these are so sooooooooo precious!!! She will ADORE them....how sweet of you!!!
I am a lucky one blessed with a fantastic mom that I treasure.
Happy Mother's Day and happy tatting!

Thelma said...

Such adorable little booties!!! Hope you have a fantastic Mother's Day .

Debbie's Garden said...

TATTING! Where did you learn? Your work is beautifullll! My Grandmother taught me to tat when I was about 12. She mostly made doilies, she would be amazed at your work. I never stuck with it and finished anything. Makes me a little sad. Your pictures send me down memory lane!

{oc cottage} said...

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh! You must have already been canonized...because you do have the patience of a saint! Those are AMAZING! What an heirloom in the making!

m ^..^

Donna said...

OMGOOOOODNESS, goodness, goodness. Those are so adorable. Lucky, lucky baby.
I loved the Work Basket. I used to have several old copies but I don't know where they went.

Fete et Fleur said...

What lovely little slippers you made. I hope they fit too.

Nancy

Unknown said...

Thank you, Linda. That is very sweet of you to say!

Hi Juli! Welcome and thank you for sharing that sweet story! I'd love to see some of your tatting sometime!

Thank you, Diana! You have a great Mother's day, too!

Hi Betty! Thank you, I hope she likes them.

Hi Kim, that is sweet of you to say.

Thank you, Betzie! Happy Mother's Day! I'm glad you have a fantastic Mother!

Thank you, Thelma! You have a fabulous Mother's Day, too!

Hi Debbie! Welcome! That is neat that your Grandmother taught you to tat! I hope you pick it up again!

Thank you, M! You are too sweet. I don't know about a Saint, but I'm glad you think so.

Thank you, Donna! I was fortunate enough to inherit the Workbaskets from my Grandmother!

Thank you, Nancy! Glad you stopped by.

Vintage Sandy said...

What a beautiful gift and keepsake she a very lucky person to have you as a friend EXQUISITE!!

Donna said...

OMG! How could she not love them. They are so sweet,

Linda said...

Hey, Chick, those are so cute. You did a wonderful job, as usual. I'm sure she will love them. What a thoughtful gift. A special gift for sure! Hugs, Linda

Elaine said...

That new mom is a lucky lady to have a friend like you. What a gorgeous pair of booties. Such intricate work on something so small. I am in awe.

Barb said...

She will treasure them and certainly pass them through the family.
Have a beautiful day my friend.

hugs,
Barb

ancolie said...

I'm sure she will love them ! such a lovely gift...
I tell you : it's " adorable"
;-))ancolie from france

Judy said...

What an adorable gift. The booties are so awesome!!

rochambeau said...

Happy Mother's day TattingChic.
These booties are the best! I would wear them!!

xox
Constance

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

What beautiful booties! I have crocheted booties out of delicate thread like that... but I still envy your tatting abilities! Just lovely!

Hope you're having a good Mother's Day weekend!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Those are the cutest baby booties I have ever seen in my life! They will definately become family heirlooms passed down for generations! Lovely!
xo
Penny

our shabby cottage said...

Oh, My, Goodness, they are GORGEOUS!!! i can see the work involved too - no wonder they took forever to make! She will absolutely love them I'm sure and if she doesn't you could send them my way!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day! The booties are a wonderful heirloom. Your work is so lovely. What a thoughtful gift!

Tanya said...

TattingChic,
Well those booties are just gorgous!! Do you want to make my little's booties, just kidding I will do it as soon as the bonnet is done! I love the pattern and nice work. Your boss will be amazed when she recieves these. How lucky she is!!

Unknown said...

Hi Vintage Sandy, You are very sweet. I consider myself very lucky to work there. I work with the nicest people! Really!

Thank you, Everythingquilts! I hope she does like them.

Hi Linda, thank you. I just hope she gets them before her baby is born!

Thank you, Chatelaine. That is sweet of you to say.

Awww...Tracy! You are so cute. Thank you for your very sweet sentimental comment. You have made some lovely baby clothes for your lucky baby niece! ((Hugs)) back to you, friend!

Thank you so much, Barb! You are a sweet bloggy friend!

Thank you, Ancolie from France! I appreciate that coming from a very talented tatter such as yourself!

Thank you so much, Judy!

Sweet, Constance! Thank you for your cute comment! Do you think they would fit you? ;)

Thank you, Karla! You are kind! Happy Mother's Day to you, too!

Thank you, Penny! You are so kind! I'm glad you like them!

Hi Our Shabby Journey! Thanks for the comment. It's nice when someone appreciates the work involved in something.

Hi Yarnjourney! Happy Mother's Day to you, too! Thanks for the sweet comment.

Ha ha, Tanya! If you are almost done with that HUGE project of that bonnet you have gotten through the "worst" of it, LOL! I can't wait to see your matching booties when you are done...even better...on the up and coming little model! :)

Heather said...

These are totally adorable... I am sure she will love them... what a keepsake.

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

Beautiful booties.

You asked about my money pot. Although it said handbag fund I won't be spending the £125 I saved on a handbag. I'm adding it to some other money I have and will use it to buy a bed when I move out!

Victoria xx

Susanne said...

Oh, those are so cute and what a lucky workmate you've got. You've done a great job.
I have always thought tatted booties are the cutest, I tried making some myself years ago but failed. So I can relate to the work in doing them - seen from here ;oD
Do you know if they will be for a girl ?

Unknown said...

Those are the most beautiful things I have EVER seen!!!!!! What a lucky little baby and new mommy! Those are such a sweet keepsake too. that was so sweet of you.

THANK YOU for the adorable bunny watering can link, I love it! I think I may just have to get that :) You are so sweet to think of me!

Hugs,
Amy

paperbird said...

What a precious baby gift. I imagine you worked very hard- they look like they would take a long time to make but what a special gift for your friend.

Unknown said...

Hi Heather, thanks so much for your sweet comment.

Thanks, Vintage Tea. A new bed sounds like it is much more comfortable to sleep on than a handbag, hee hee!

Hi Susanne, thank you! I have made them once or twice before and disliked every minute of it because the directions are really truly awful, LOL! I love Vintage Workbasket tatting patterns because they are visually more appealing than many of the more recent ones, but I don't think they had anyone that could proof-read them, LOL! It really shows in the old-style written patterns, LOL!
Yes, the baby is a girl and I knew that before-hand. I was going to tat them in pink for that reason, but decided against it because she can use these for other children and more outfits if they are white.

Hi Amy,
thanks so much for your very sweet note. Oh, and I hope you do get the watering can! I saw another metal one that was cute, but the "thief" is asking $120, yeah, no way! I saw others just like it in different animals and they were going for $20-$40. I don't think she's going to get many sales with $120.

Hi Paperbird, thank you. It did take a while. I had a lot of time on my hands last week, though.

Thimbleanna said...

Ohmygosh -- those are gorgeous!!!

Catherine Holman said...

What sweet booties! I'm sure she will love them!
Catherine

laura_rose said...

Hi TattingChic, the booties are gorgeous! I am thinking I may have to find a pattern and make a pair soon! The only pattern I have is not as beautiful as yours!

Karen ~ Cider Antiques said...

Those are absolutely stunning! She will love them and so will her children's children. Karen.

Decor To Adore said...

I actually squealed when I saw these booties. They are so adorably lovely.

Klay Kisses said...

What a beautiful gift! That is something I always wanted to try. Tatting. Is it very hard to do? Or just time consuming. I love it that you do not need a table full of tools to do it. I love your blog. I'll be back. Thanks for sharing.

Connie said...

These are absolutely stunning! If the don't fit some cutie socks would be a terrific background and filler! Then they absolutely must become an heirloom.

Kind of lost track of you for awhile so I will just follow! Thanks for your visit today.

LiLi M. said...

These are gorgeous! True works of art! Perhaps she just saves them because they are almost to beautiful to use. I mustn't think about these little baby legs going up and down in the sun and oops, the baby girls looses one booty. I wouldn't take any risks!

Paula said...

Those are just precious! I know those will be treasured for many, many years!

Natasha Burns said...

wowzers, those are the most incredible baby booties!!! i am certain they will be loved and treasured like they deserve to be :)

Back Through Time said...

Those booties are adorable!!!!! I love them. Too bad my son and daughter-in-law are having a boy.
Have a wonderful week,
Michelle

Rue said...

Those booties are GORGEOUS!

I hope you had a wonderful mother's Day :)

rue

Old Jail Artist said...

The booties are so beautiful! Lucky baby!

Suzie said...

Those are some very pretty booties

Tattycat said...

Those booties are the sweetest things! I know the mom will like them. You are very sweet to do that. Your sentiments about moms are very sweet. I wish you had a mother like mine was. Come to think of it, I wish I was your mom!

Charmingdesigns said...

Hee hee...I was quietly waiting for that response.LOL!! I picked it up at a Thrifts store for $3.00 whoohoo!!!Lovely huh!.Love the booties!! Laurie

Singtatter said...

Tatted booties are such sweeties and so cute! Awesome!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

goodness! Those are the most beautiful little things...what a true heirloom gift. You are amazingly talented.
Lidy

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Three words. . . a-dor-able!!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Thimbleanna!

Thank you, Catherine.

Hi Laura Rose, I recently put a link on my "Tatting Patterns" list that has goes to a list of a several tatted baby items.

Hi Karen, thank you! I hope so.

Thanks, Laura Ingalls Gunn! That is cute.

Hi Klay Kisses! Thanks for commenting! I'm so glad I met you on Blog Catalog! I hope you got the comment I left you on your blog answering your question. I hope you do learn to tat!

Hi, Connie! Thanks for the comment. Yes, they surely won't fit for very long...they're pretty tiny. Glad you stopped by!

LOL, Lili! They are pretty small, so I don't think they'll be worn for much time. They're also pretty dressy so I don't think they'd be worn everyday, either.

Hello, Maidenshade! Thank you for stopping by and saying hello!

Thank you Farm Chick Paula! That is a very sweet thought.

Thank you Natasha Burns. That is a nice thought. You are sweet.

Hi Michelle! There are a few tatted baby bootie patterns that don't have a flower on them and would be okay for a christening set for even a boy.

Thank you, Rue! My Mother's Day was peaceful and quiet...which is alright!

Thank you, Old Jail Artist! You are sweet.

Hi Suzie! Thanks for stopping by.

Tattycat, your comment is very touching and sweet. I cannot express how much that means to me. Thank you. (((Hugs))) from your tatting "daughter"! :)

Ha ha, Laurie! You are so funny...waiting for that comment from me...were you? That is too cute! That tatted doily on your blog post is beautiful! glad you snatched it up!

Thank you, Singtatter! That is a very sweet comment.

Thank you so much for your very kind and sweet comment, Lidy! I really appreciate that.

Thank you, Cathy! That is cute!

Kate Tracton said...

Wow, what a lucky friend!! Great job on those. I like the idea of the sock color coming through - makes them nice and versatile.

Lucky Momma, and super-lucky Baby!

Kate

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Oh, these are beautiful!

Dean Grey said...

Amazing baby shoes, TattingChic!

Super-detailed!

Even if they don't fit your coworker's baby, they'll still make an awesome keepsake.

And I didn't know tatting could be formed into 3-D objects like that! Now I know!

-Dean

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

HA Baby, These booting are truly, incredibly beautiful. What a lovely gift for a soon to be new MUM.. Hugs Judy

Unknown said...

Thank you, Kate! I'm glad you like the booties!

Thanks, Ele!

Hi Dean! I'm so glad you stopped by! Yes, tatting can be made into lot's of 3-D objects! I've even designed a 3-D egg!

Hi Judy, thanks a bunch! I hope the Mom likes 'em!