Saturday, October 17, 2009

A Pleasant Surprise

A big envelope came in the mail today! I was a bit suprised because I hadn't ordered anything so I wasn't expecting anything! Imagine my surprise when I opened up the envelope to find a gift from Heather who is also known as The Tarnished Tatter!

Thank You, Heather!

You see, Heather sent me her new book called "Tatted Earrings and Things". She had asked me some time ago to test tat for her. Somehow I never had time, never had time, and then again...I never had time! She probably thinks I'm the worst test tatter ever, sorry Heather! She had said she would send a book to her test tatters so I completely expected to get nada, nothing, zip, zilcho...

but no!!! Heather kindly and generously not only sent me her new book, she sent me some of her lovely pink HDT called "Pink 4 Link" in size 20!

Let me show you!


Here is the cover page with the
HDT peeking in from the side of the photo.
I'll bet you can't guess what I did today...
(sheepish grin...the pink hummingbird is a hint)



I "test tatted" her pattern!
(Yes, I know, this usually happens before the book comes out)



I will count this as a motif for my 2nd round of
The 25 Motif Challenge!

Motif #16 Hummingbird Pendant
This is her hummingbird pendant in her
size 20 HDT "Pink 4 Link"

What do you think?



Here's hoping you are having a fabulous weekend! Thank you for the suprise, Heather! It made my day! My tatting budget is a little tight with no new books and goodies it is fun to get a tatting treat in the mail!
I'd love to hear from my bloggy friends so be sure to say hello! Have you had a pleasant surprise lately?



XOXO

49 absolutely fabulous things were said:

tattrldy said...

You lucky girl, you! The hummingbird looks absolutely fabulous in that pink! Haven't had many pleasant surprises lately, so I'll enjoy yours with you. Thanks for sharing.

Snap said...

Mail Call! One of my favorite things! It was good for you I see. The hummingbird is a lovely little thing.

Cindy said...

You lucky Chic, you - what a treat! I'm certain she does NOT think you are the worst tatter ever - your work is always a pleasure to see, and fellow tatters seem to be most patient!

I love the hummingbird - and the pink thread is a great reminder that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.

(And, no such pleasant surprises for me lately!)

Krystle said...

That thread is loverly! I tested a few of her designs and was super excited to get the book and some thread as well. Heather is a peach for sure!

Jessica Rodarte said...

What a great surprise! :) The hummingbird pendant is lovely. You know how I love pink. :D

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

That is a pleasant surprise! I love the way the hummingbird turned out!

Old Jail Artist said...

That makes me want to finish the tatted earrings I started earlier this year. The hummingbird is exquisite.

Heather said...

The Humming Bird is absolutely precious! And the pink suits it! I could think of a few other things this could be used for besides a pendant... very versatile little design. And why wouldn't Heather be patient enough to wait for you to "test" for her... the best things in life are worth waiting for... thanks for dropping by my "non-active" blog, it is always lovely to hear from you... hopefully I'll be back to posting soon now that winter is on the way! Hugs.

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

WOW! The hummer is fabulous. If you ever start to sell them, put me on the list for a couple. They would be so special on a CQ clutch!
Well done, and continue enjoying your gifted hands and sweet friend for sharing her book with you.
Hugs,Pat

Kathleen Grace said...

I love this! How big is the actual hummingbird? I think it would make a darling charm~

Sally Kerson said...

A Pink hummingbird - it had to be TattingChic!!!!!!!!!!

Free Art Printables said...

That is a very cute pattern and you did a great job!

Fox said...

Cute bird! Love that thread!
Fox : )

Carolyn said...

What a nice surprise for you. The tatted hummingbird is so cute-great job!
Take care,
Carolyn

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, how cute and clever! You are blessed to have gotten that, and I love the hummingbird you made. Adorable...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Draffin Bears said...

How lovely TattingChic and just adore the pretty little pink hummingbird.

Happy week
Hugs
Carolyn

Charmingdesigns said...

oops, its Play Pal I guess I had Paypal on my mind.lol. Love the hummingbird. I got a piece of tatting today...I'll be showing it to you soon.

TAT19540 said...

Surprises work for me! Love your humming bird. I am working on that one too. My first attempts in size 80 went to Ladyshuttlemaker as I broke the thread in closing my sr.
Appricate your comment on my blog. Maybe there is a way to make you fortune in devising an international sizing gauge for lace/tatters that we can show size. Most of or friends on the other side of the world might not know what size a US quarter is or what an inch converts too. I know the centermeter and I are not friends.lol
Anyway congrats on your new book and thread! As always your work is lovely.

Lori said...

tatted jewelry? i never heard of such a thing...but how fun is that!!! your hummingbird is absolutely gorgeous...and i love that shade of pink!!!

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

What a cute hummingbird,

Victoria xx

julia said...

Wow! tatted earrings. I've never seen any, but the picture is awesome. I love the idea!!!

*♥* Heather *♥* said...

So cute I love it Thanks for all the nice things you said but really I am not that great :) you are way too kind. I do NOT think you are the worst tatter, I know how it is to be busy too busy for some things. I am glad you liked the surprise.
You will have to jump on over to my facebook business page to see what I did with my hummingbirds http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Hastings-PA/Heathers-Designs/143347267426
Thanks again and I love the hummingbird :)

sewmuchfun4 said...

That really was a nice surprise! And what a pretty little hummingbird! I like the shadow in you picture - it makes the hummingbird look three dimensional to me.

:) Ann

Tracy said...

Tatted jewelry--love it!! That hummingbird is outstanding--very clever--and perfect in pink! ;o) Great fun with your friend's book... I've been a bit MIA in recent days. I've been in a bubble for a few days now--hubby & I have been up to our elbows in some interior painting & wallpapering. Finally back in blogland and catching up. Happy Days, my friend ((HUGS))

Carla said...

Your works are always very lovely!

Karen ~ Cider Antiques said...

Love the hummingbird. Amazing was tatting can become :) Love it!!! Karen

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I love that humingbird! Twyla

Draffin Bears said...

Hi TattingChic,

Many thanks for visiting me today and take a look at the photo of the nest again on my post, as you can see the Mother bird is sitting on the nest.
We just did not get the photos of the little new birds.

I hope that your week is going well.

Hugs
Carolyn

'Tart said...

I think it is beautiful! I love your blog, TattingChic, it's so beautiful and uplifting.:)

Sandra Evertson said...

Those are so Fabulous! It looks just like a humming bird!
Sandra Evertson

Paula said...

Oh my- the hummingbird is sooo pretty!
I just love surprises in the mail, too!
Well, not bills, but... (LOL)

Unknown said...

What a wonderful gift to receive!! I LOVE that hummingbird charm so much, it is beautiful!
Hugs,
Amy

Kathy Niklewicz said...

Hi TattingChic !

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and asking about a possible pattern for the bell. I do intend to share it, as soon as I can figure out how to get a drawing from Publisher into Blogger! I prefer to do 'visual' patterns!

I'm also dropping by with the exciting news that Teri Dusenbury has posted her alphabet in her blog (Oct. 21) !! Plus numbers!! (Possibly you've seen it already!) Teri is generously sharing this with everyone! It's good to know she's feeling better.

I think Heather's hummingbird is so clever, and you've showcased it nicely here.

Anonymous said...

It is a Hummingbird! :-) And What a unique, pretty pendant it will be. Love it.

Sue said...

this tatted bird motif is wonderful! About 14 years ago I spent the most interesting weekend in Utah, learning how to tat from the most amazing 90 year old lady. While I never quite mastered the skill :), I still find myself drawn to this beautiful type of needlework. Thanks for sharing!

Sue E.

Natasha Burns said...

oh wow luck you! That hummingbird is so absolutely adorable! I'm in awe of you amazing tatters!

Reflections from the Stone Nest said...

Oh your little hummingbird is so very sweet! I have an image of them now, all happy and buzzing around the flowers and feeders. Since winter is coming, that is very much, a pleasant thought! :) It was so sweet of your friend to send you the book. And congrats to her, as well!

Let's see, pleasant surprises lately? HMMM.... I guess the nicest thing is my dear sweet husband brought me flowers home the other day and arranged them in a vase and waited for me to find them. They were very pretty with their fall hues. Loved it.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend,
Kitty

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

OMG Sweet Chic!!!what fab earrings.
Thanks for stopping by,but you don't need the lottery.After Christmas,if you want to go in together and help me,for i do not have the talent to tat I will make you a doll,just like you decribed.I can do the doll part.And the underneath part too.We will get old victorian dollhouse sofa and I have a very small doll head.Just let me know.XXOO Marie Antionette

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Amazing hummingbird pattern! It's nice to meet "nice" people in blogland.

rochambeau said...

Great Book and Fab new ear bobs you are creating.
Nice to see your work always!!

xox
Constance

Fete et Fleur said...

The hummingbird is wonderful. I love it the pink thread! I'll keep an eye out for a glass hankie box.

Nancy

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

We will do this my dear,It will be so much fun.XXOO Marie Antionette

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

OH Yes,Be thinking of your color scheme Hon.I may be able to find things for it here and there .Hugs Marie

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

I think the pink hummingbird is wonderful!!!
:)

Lisa Kettell said...

Lucky Lucky You, amazing treasures!
Magic and Joy,
Lisa!

Joy Jones said...

Ooooh that's so sweet! And pink too!!! What talent you have to create something so perfect and so tiny. ~ xo Joy

Dean Grey said...

TattingChic!

That hummingbird pendant you received is very neat!

I never would've thought that shape could be created with tatting!

Clever!

-Dean

Sarah said...

Your hummingbird is so cute! How did you make the twisted picot? My current project has been stalled because I can't figure out how to make them.

Sarah

mahiru said...

How beautiful the hummingbird is!
I love it.
You've done an amazing job!