Friday, January 8, 2010

Tatting from Canada, AYE?

Now, that I've shown you all Danish tatting, Irish tatting, Scottish tatting, and even German tatting it's time to show you some Canadian Tatting! ;)
Actually Jeff from Bridge City Tatting and I had planned a bookmark swap clear back in early October 2009 (just 3 months ago, LOL!) and the actual swappage occurred sometime in November.
Jeff's request was that I not make his bookmark look too "girly" since he is probably well aware from my blog how much I like pink! LOL! I assured him I would do my utmost to make his bookmark as masculine as I possibly could!
My request to Jeff??? PLEASE make it a girly-girl looking bookmark! That is what I LOVE about tatting! I think both of use were quite curious how our gifts to each other would look!
That was the fun of it all, I think!

~*~

Well, look at this beautiful, delicate, lacy tatted bookmark I got from Jeff!

It's definitely feminine, don't you think?



I thought I'd share the
Canadian postmark
for 2 reasons:
1) I don't get mail from Canada everyday!
2) I wanted to participate in this week's
Postcard Friendship Friday!!!
(She says even stamp images count!)


The theme is
"God Save the Queen"
Well, Canada is part of the British empire, right?
Aaaaand this bookmark looks like
it's fit for a queen, right?

Well, just look at it!


Oh! Oh! and Jeff says that the designer of
this pattern is Mary Konior!
She's a tatter from ENGLAND!!!


Here's a closeup of it!
The design is called "Patchwork"
from the book Tatting With Visual Patterns


Isn't it pretty?
I definitely think it looks girly!
You can read more about it on
his post by clicking here!
I love the colors.
Jeff used Lizbeth size 40 thread
in color #120 called Denim Whisper

Jeff is a man of multi talents!
He also does chainmaille and sells
it on his Etsy shop called Redeye!



He sent me this WAY cool scissor fob in silver and PINK!

Cool, aye?

~*~

Now, for my bookmark to Jeff!

Much to my relief he said in an email:

"I officially declare it a manly bookmark"!

WHEW!

Here it is:


This is the front of it.
You can see a close up of it below.


It's a celtic style design called
"Celtic Bookmark"
by LaRae Mikulecky.
Thanks for finding the lost link again, Jeff!
You can read Jeff's post about this
bookmark on his blog by clicking here.


This is the back of it above.
There is the close up below.


I used 3 colors. A lighter blue (denim) and a
darker blue (medium blue) and a green.
They are all Lizbeth threads size 20.

Thanks for the swap, Jeff!

~*~

Thank to you for stopping by! The thing that makes this blog so enjoyable are all the fabulous visitors and comments! Thanks for all your fun comments and joviality! It makes my day! Well, it makes my whole week! My bloggy friends are awesome and new bloggy visitors are always welcome.



XOXO

83 absolutely fabulous things were said:

Jeff Hamilton said...

Awesome post Chiclet! Of course, I'm biased! Well worth the wait; I knew you would post about our exchange. And again, I'm glad you love the bookmark and the scissor fob. And thanks again for doing the exchange with me.

Jeff

Fox said...

Both bookmarks are fantastic, though I must say, Chiclet, I LOVE that blue one you made for Jeff. The design is beautiful. Lucky him!
Fox : )

viridian said...

Hello, and happy PFF! I don't do tatting it looks so difficult. I bet some patterns are actually pretty simple though. I would have to learn from an instructor, not a book!

sewmuchfun4 said...

What a great swap! Both of your bookmarks are awesome! I have wanted to make the Celtic bookmark for a LONG time - I printed the pattern out years ago, maybe I can give it a try now!

Your scissor fob is very cool! I love the pink chain he added - and it's a safe bet you do also...
:) Ann

annakatarzyna said...

Beautiful work! :)

Christine H. said...

Tatting Chic,
I'm so glad to read your post. I didn't even know that people still did tatting. I thought it was a lost art. I'm glad to find out otherwise. Thanks.

Sally Kerson said...

Both book marks are gorgeous, such a lot of work in them. I can imagine Jeff being a little worried that he would recieve a pink bookmark! But alls well that ends well! Yep there are quite a few of us Tatters from England!
Jeff is a clever man, love your scissor fob. God Save the Queen!

Anonymous said...

Tatting is so delicate & beautiful.... These bookmarks are sensational!!
**Smile**
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Jane Eborall said...

But Canada's only just down the road!!! Love both bookmarks. Not sure which I'd like best IF I was given a choice.

Snap said...

Wonderful stamps -- almost Olympics time! Beautiful bookmarks. Happy PFF!

Barb said...

Both of the bookmarks are gorgeous.
I would say Jeff is a man of many talents (we already know how talented you are).

Have a wonderful weekend.

hugs,
Barb

AnitaNH said...

Bookmark fit for a queen is right! Tatting is amazing. Love the AYE by the way. Reminds me of getting caught as a child doing something ("think you're going to sneak another cookie, aye!") that I ought not to be.

And that scissors fob is a really nice accessory. Happy PFF!

Vanessa said...

Both bookmarks look amazing. Two very clever people!

Beth Niquette said...

What beautiful work! I love tatting--it is a lost art, I think. I must get back into it.

Happy PFF!

Mary said...

Beautiful bookmarks! I didn't know there were so many types of Tatting!

Happy PFF!

Terry said...

Howdy
Happy PFF to you and Jeff .
This was a fantastic post.
I truly enjoyed seeing how it all played out .
You are both blessed .
Thank you for sharing with us today.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Happy Trails

Postcardy said...

It sounds like tatting is becoming popular. I always think of tatting as being for lace doilies. That looks kind of like a miniature version of macrame.

Aarti Badamikar said...

Superb!

MuseSwings said...

My first visit here, and I must say I am amazed at your intricate work and the beautiful gift from Jeff! Thanks for including the Canadian stamps - I don't see many of those either. Happy PFF!

H J Hess said...

Re bookmark exchange
I had seen Jeff's blog and was eagerly awaiting yours. And of course, you did not disappoint! Thank you.

Lyneen said...

These are beautiful. I think Tatting is becoming one of those lost arts. Don't hear of many people doing it.
Thanks for sharing!
PFF

Tattips said...

I like the color Jeff has used, it is a pretty bkmk, a Mark Konior design, and so is yours, a Celtic in blue.

rainbows and raindrops said...

Lovely!

Kathy Raker said...

Job well done! They are both beautiful. Oh to be so talented!

Stacey said...

I'm so impressed that someone still "tats"... As an antiques dealer I see lots of vintage and antique examples but rarely (if ever) have I seen a recent piece. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to keeping up with your blog:)

Cindy said...

Both bookmarks are gorgeous! I love the patterns for both, though I've not tried the celtic tatting yet. Love that Chainmaille also - the pink was PERFECT for you. What a fun exchange!

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

Hello,

My first visit here....I'm a crocheter so I do appreciate the tatting process...so beautiful!!
I'll be back now that I've found you.

Scatter Bliss..
Stephanie

Carla said...

These bookmarks are really beautiful.
Even if we don't speak the same language this is not an obstacle to communication because I know a bit of English.

Marie Reed said...

Squuuue! Hi Tatting Chick aka TC! You amaze me girl! Lucky Jeff is right! The bookmark you made is FABULOUS! It's amazing that one can make such a work of art with a bit of yarn, talent and love:) Happy PFF!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi TattingChic,

What a fabulous swap, both of the bookmarks are lovely.
It must have been fun, seeing what the other had tatted for you.

Have a happy week
Hugs
Carolyn

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

WOW! THose are gorgeous designs and colors! Very, very wonderful swap, indeed! Hey, is there any FRENCH tatting? Thanks for stopping by!! Have a fabulous day....Anita

Tracy said...

So many pretties... *SWOON*... :o) ((HUGS))

Miss Gracie's House said...

so pretty...I love tatting and the ornaments you posted about below are just gorgeous!
Rene'

Paula said...

Wow! Jeff does some awesome work! And I love the one you made for him... manly enough.. but still pretty!
It's so good to hear from my favorite Tatter in the whole wide world- I've missed you!

(Actually, you're the ONLY tatter I know, but still my favorite! *snicker*)

Pearlin J said...

the bookmarks are both so beautiful! I just made my first tatted bookmark. I love that scissor fob!

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Hi Tat,
Bith bookmarks are just gorgeous.Anyone would be proud to call it theirs.Love it.
With that I would like to wish that this year will bring you all the best it has to offer,
XXOO Marie Antionette

Lace hearts said...

Jeff has done you proud, and your bookmark to him was also very special. I love the touch of green in the one you made.
Thanks for popping by. It's funny. I was thinking of your blog yesterday before I got your comment, and thought, I must stop by and see what Tatting Chic is doing lately! And then your lovely comment appeared. Isn't life funny that way sometimes.

Lori said...

gorgeous bookmarks!!! i found my powder puffs on etsy while searching for vintage ribbon...aren't they just the prettiest things? i just love them!!!

Unknown said...

Hi, looks like there is still allot of tatting going on over here. Thank you for stopping by. I love that you shared this on postcard friendship friday. I have been meaning to join that too. Your swap from Jeff is wonderful.
Karen

Rosemary said...

Very cool!!
Thanks for visiting. 2010 is great so far!!
Good to hear from you.
Rosemary

Shay said...

Those are gorgeous bookmarks. Kudoes to both of you.

The Victorian Parlor said...

Both of those bookmarks are fabulous! I like the lovely colors that he used in yours-very girly! And you did a great job of keeping his manly:).

Blessings,

Kim

Heather said...

OMG! Both of these are just so adorable.... fantastic work on both parts! Hugs.

Terrielee said...

Oh-La-laaaaa! *Love* the bookmarks and the scissor fob is awesome!
My you both are so talented! Great swap!

Fete et Fleur said...

I adore these bookmarks! You both did beautiful work!! The other day I went into a store where they were having a tatting demonstration. I thought of you, Miss Tatting Chic while I stood there amazed, watching the artisans tatt away.

Nancy

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Hi, It's so nice to meet you. My Mother tats and does lovely work as do you. Beautiful stitching. I have posted some of her work last spring but not lately. I must share with her your pictures and the Christmas balls are wonderful. Mom is 89 and enjoys her tatting and sewing.

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Aye the bookmarks are awesome Chic!
The one from Jeff definitely has a feminine quality and yours for him is perfect for a guy. What a wonderful swap you had.

Everytime I look at your work I am so awestruck!! Hope your holidays were fabulous!! :)

Hugs, sherry

rochambeau said...

Great trade! BOTH bookmarks are very nice. Jeff is the first tatting guy I've herd of. Cool! You are both talented people.

Well Tatting Chic, hope your New Year off to a good start!
Hugs from afar!

xox
Constance

Pellie / Penny said...

Chiclet,
Awesome bookmarks - both of you did such great jobs.
Your scissor fob is sooo cool.

Hugs,
Penny

Bella Sinclair said...

Hahahaha! You are always so cheery and delightful. I just love reading about your tatting adventures. Jeff's bookmark is gorgeous! Looks like a million butterflies and saving your page for you. And that chainmaille is way cool! I must say, though, that the celtic bookmark was indeed manly, yet very elegant (in a masculine way). Spectacular!

I was very excited, because I opened up my ReadyMade magazine this week, and there was a teeny article about trying a new craft....tatting! Hahahaha. Of course, you immediately came to mind.

Happy Sunday!

Bella Sinclair said...

Had you looked carefully, you would have noticed that about HALF of the comments were from Renee and Ces. HEEHEEEHEE!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous. I love reading about Jeff and everything. I especially love the celtic bookmark. Cool! Thanks for the comment on my Blog! This is the first TIAS for me. I made a mistake but I think it still looks good. Happy Tatting!

Lelia said...

So beautiful! I'm gobsmacked by both of your bookmark making talents.

I've just managed to 'join' without twisting and halting the tatting (probably not correct tatting lingo) ... such a newby. I guess we all start someplace. Will attempt some reverse tatting next.

Barbara said...

Your work is always gorgeous and I envy your ability to tat. I tried it and just couldn't master the art.

I missed you on One World One Heart. I joined in this year along with almost 1000 other bloggers. Stop by and sign in.

mahiru said...

Hello.
Thank you for your comments on my blog.
About posting my photos on your blog, I say "YES"!
I really respect your blog, I am honored.
Thank you, I am very happy :)

And, how beautiful these bookmarks are!
Stunning.
Really wonderful swap.

Nancy G said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Free Art Printables said...

That bookmark is gorgeous!!! I love the colors!

Lien said...

Hello! No wonder it looked familiar! I'm trying to work on that pattern but am having a bit of trouble following it!! I've borrowed that book from a friend and am trying to source my own copy.

Barb said...

Hi Tatting Chic,

Thank you for stopping by. Hope all is well.
I am loving the little change in my blog look and the big change with my website.

big hugs,
Barb

Maggie Ann said...

They are both beautiful!

Linda said...

Hey, Tatting Chic...I love both bookmarks. They are both beautiful. What a fun exchange.

Thanks for stopping by my blog too. I wanted to respond but you have it set to noreply...Hope all is well with you. Hugs from snowy Texas! Linda

Julie Fillo said...

Hi Tatting Chic,
Could you email me your mailing address to juliefillo@hotmail.com so I can send your free print?

Julie

Anonymous said...

Hi thanks for coming to my blog...and leaving such a wonderful comment...

I absolutely love tatting...and the bookmark idea is brilliant...so pretty!
I do crochet, but I've never tatted! Maybe someday I'll learn that too....who knows...

anyhow...i'll invite you back anytime...follow if you like, I'm about to sign on with you, honey!

take care, have yourself a wonderful night...
ciao

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Stopping by to wish you a very Happy Valentine's Day! Thank you for stopping by! Twyla

Unknown said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I think my "wall of potential" sounds better that my "junk I never get to"! Your work and your blog are beautiful, and I will be stopping by frequently. I am just teaching myself to tat, and am so inspired by those of you who already do such fantastic work!

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

I like both bookmarks. Nice choice on both your parts. And the sissor fob is cool.

Happy Tatting!

Jessica Rodarte said...

I thought I left a comment here already! I did come by and see your lovely post when you posted it. As usual, the tatting is gorgeous. :)
I've missed you, friend. I saw your comment on Carolyn at Draffin Bear's post, and I had to come say hello! Hope all is well. xoxo.

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Sweet Chic!

Just wanted you to know how much you are missed! May I put on my prayer list for healing?? I would be so glad to do that.

Anyway you are in my prayers and I'm sending lots of good wishes your way.

Big warm hugs, Sherry

Lori said...

hi there:) just checking in...you haven't posted for a while...i hope all is well!!!

Unknown said...

Great bookmark! I have never tried Celtic tatting but I do have a book of patterns.

I have some shuttles made but they need to be painted.

Please stop by my site and sign for the postcard giveaway!

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

The bookmark is beautiful.
As a fellow Canadian I'd say Jim did us proud.
And your little swap gift is perfect too, a wonderful reminder of the work that went into its delicate pattern every time its seen.
Susan

Becky said...

Hi. I appreciate the encouragement you left me today! I have a long way to go.... I can't wait to come back and see all the pretty things you've done. My teaching was cut short years ago, so I'm having to re-teach myself. I can't imagine making more than a little string of circles, but who knows?

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

The bookmark Jeff sent you is just stunning! And his gift of the scissor bob is out of this world fabulous!! Very cool, indeed. And I also love the bookmark you made for him. Great colors and awesome pattern. Lucky guy!
Patricia :o)

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Hello Darling!

Ahhhh Canada! After watching so much TV the last couple weeks, I want visit Canada! It has been several years I was there and it was wonderful then!

Love all your beautiful handiwork! You always amaze me! Have a wonderful week!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Tatteristic! said...

Hi TattingChic, you stopped by my blog and asked me a question about the Green Butterfly by Martha Ess. That pattern is posted on her Tat's Amore Tatting page as a free pattern.

I'll insert a link to her page on my butterfly post but if you Google her, you'll find her free patterns. She also has some really cute angel patterns which I'm sure you'd like!

Thank you.

Julie Fillo said...

Hi Tatting Chic, the print I mailed you was returned to me. I must have written down part of it wrong... Could you email me again at juliefillo@hotmail.com and we can try again?

julie

Beedeebabee said...

Hi TattingChic! These bookmarks are just stunning! You and Jeff do really beautiful work! I've never tried tatting, but I've always been so fascinated by it...Thank you so much for your visit and the lovely comment you left. I just loved it! Looking for to visiting here again and again! xoxo Paulette ;D

Unknown said...

Thank you for stopping by.....I love my stash, too, and envy the fact that you create this beautiful "stuff"....come visit again.....
xo,
jana

Anonymous said...

Amazing work! Love the pastels so elegant.Thank you for inspiring
comments!

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

Awesome swap! What a true labor of friendship. I can't believe the detail. I get lost in crochet, it takes me into such a peaceful place. Does tatting do that for you??

I am always blown away at your work, and your friend's as well.

Warmest ~ V ;)

Coretta from Confetti said...

Oh I like those. I am mourning my bookmark, but trying to console myself on the idea that someone else will love my tatted bookmark as much as I did (probably left it in a library book). My husband laughed as I mourned it, "It's not like you can't make another one." But he wasn't willing to give me his that I tatted for him. Nope, he likes his manly bookmark.

farmama sara said...

Wow! YOur tatting is so beautiful! I'm so glad to know what tatting really is now!Thanks for clarifying!
Keep up your good and beautiful work!
love,
sara

Kristen said...

Hey Chic, I've had fun looking around on your blog. Tatting is so beautiful! I might have to try it sometime...