Monday, May 25, 2009

A Tale of Two Split Rings

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom in tatting, it was the age of foolishness in regards to the ridiculous behavior displayed by people who thought they "owned" tatting, it was the epoch of belief that we all had discovered something new, it was the epoch of incredulity that someone had actually discovered it before us, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope that there was actually more techniques to discover in tatting, it was the winter of despair that perhaps it was all too difficult to learn, we had everything before us (tatting thread, tatting books, tatting shuttles), we had nothing before us (tatting thread, tatting books, tatting shuttles) and we needed to buy MORE...MORE, we were all going direct to heaven (to get our tatted angel wings), we were all going direct the other way (in a tatted handbasket) - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."


~*~

Yes, as promised, I present to you "A Tale of Two Split Rings".

The following heart is the one I completed using today's technique.

This is Motif #5 Antique Rose Heart
for my second round of the 25 Motif Challenge.
Designed by Martha Ess and tatted in Yarnplayer's "Peace" and "Leafy" size 20 HDT's.


Here is last the heart from the last post completed using the MSR (Mock Split Ring)

Here they are side by side: The one that had the MSR is on the right.

Personally I like the one on the left better. I think it looks neater and tidier.

I think it has a lot to do with the following technique.

In my last post I mentioned that I

had done some commiserating with Gina, Jane, Laura, and Martha

on how to climb out of a round with 2 colors.

During our back and forth emails Martha suggested the following technique!

Of course I had to tat up another heart and to try it out!

She suggested that I try a SSSR (Single Shuttle Split Ring).

Remember that?

Her thought was to do the first half with 2 shuttles ~ resulting in a double core to solve the "how-do-we-get-the-green-thread-to-the-top-of-the-pink-Split-Ring" Dilemma.


So I did!

Here, let me show you!

~*~

Here we are at the place in a new round where we need to make

a split ring in order to continue on in that round.

Should I:

a) Go ahead and do a regular Split Ring resulting in 2 different colors on each side and hope no one notices.

b) Do a MSR (Mock Split Ring) as before...which quite honestly is hard with the Split Chain stitches and looked "wonky" after all that work.

c) Do a SSSR and hope no one notices that the green thread is at the bottom of the Split Ring.

d) Try Martha's suggestion and revise the SSSR just a bit.



What to do?



I went with "d"! Let me show you Martha's suggestion.

***

Skills needed:

SSSR (Single Shuttle Split Ring)

The ability to tat with 2 shuttles at one time, LOL!

***

First do the first half of the SSSR as a "regular ring"...only use both shuttles for the core thread. You wrap ONLY THE PINK THREAD around your hand, but pick up BOTH SHUTTLES to do the double stitches after the loop on your hand is made.

Here's what the first part of that ring will look like.(Sorry, I was the only one at home when these photos were taken so I had to take the ring off my hand in order to take the pictures, LOL!)

Here's a close up of the double core coming out of the double stitches.
Next, you drop both shuttles and just let them hang and complete the second half of the SSSR with the pink thread's loop. Here's a close up of the completed stitches of the ring.

Next, close the ring by pulling on the SSSR loop.

Here's a close up of the closed ring. Notice the threads coming out of the top AND out of the bottom.


Remember to pull the loop around the "neck" of the new ring before you close the loop.
Close up of loop around the neck of the new ring.

Complete the ring by pulling on the pink shuttle thread to close the SSSR loop at the bottom of the ring.
Close up of new completed ring!

Now, I can continue tatting as usual!
~*~

One thing I noticed was that this ring I showed you just now sure was easier to do AND it looked more uniform and even than the MSR from the last post. It was prettier! I've got comparisons of the close ups of the 2 split rings to show you so you can judge for yourself!


MSR (Mock Split Ring)

SSSR (Single Shuttle Split Ring) with 1st half a double core
***


What do you think? ( the SSSR is shown from the backside)
***
Another thing I noticed was that the SSSR was more uniform compared with the regular rings.
See?


The MSR is a big larger and more awkward looking compared to the following rings.
See?
If you make excellent Split Chain stitches, then the MSR (Mock Split Ring) or Dora Young Technique may be for you. If not, consider this version of the SSSR to climb out of a round with 2 colors.

~*~


Thanks for letting me share with you "A Tale of Two Split Rings"! For those of you who don't tat "YOU CAN WAKE UP NOW!", LOL! I appreciate you bearing with the tatting jargon through another long-winded post! For my tatting friends, I hope this helps with the climbing out of rounds with 2 colors dilemma! I liked this version better due to the lovely results and how easy it was to do! If you find this helpful, be sure to let Martha know how much you liked her suggestion! It just goes to show that when we work together we can come up with much better ideas in the tatting community!


For my friends in the USA I'd like to wish you all a very


HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!

I am very grateful for all the blessings that I have from living in this beautiful and great country. I am also very grateful for all the men and women who have sacrificed their lives to ensure this blessing for me. Thank you! God Bless America!


For all my bloggy friends from around the world I am grateful for your friendship! Thanks again for visiting and be sure to say hello before you go!
Love,
TattingChic
xoxo
Edited 5/30/09:
For Jane Eborall's technique page
on this Double Core SSSR technique

36 absolutely fabulous things were said:

kari and kijsa said...

Absolutely beautiful!! A very blessed Memorial Day to you! Beautiful post!!

kari& kijsa

Rays of Stitches said...

Your work is beautiful. I hope to learn tatting someday! Barb

tattrldy said...

Loved the story, it had me tied to the screen! I'll definitely have to try this. I hope you have a blessed Memorial Day. God Bless America!

Needledreams said...

Nicely done! I was preparing this for the Online Class but you won the race. Have been using this for quiet awhile. Great mind think alike! The hearts look great, love the colors.

Martha said...

Don't loose sight that you were the one who was not defeated by the idea of climbing out with 2 colors. I just added a variation to the theme.

Liyarra said...

ROFLOL - your Dickens....or is that DIKKENS with 4 m's and a silent q???? Is hilarious.

Gina said...

Another entertaining venture by the talented Tatting Chic! Great job - I'll have to try this before I forget about it.

It's very kind of you to include me in the offline discussion even though all I really did was give you Martha's correct email!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Kari and Kijsa! So glad you stopped by!

Thanks, Barb! Nice to meet you! I do hope you take the time to learn tatting!

Thanks, Tattrldy! I'm glad you liked the "story", LOL! I hope that sharing this technique makes it easier for you!

Thanks, Wally! The race? There's no race, dear friend. We're all here to share and help each other out. I'm sure that your sharing on the Online Tatting Class will help a lot of other tatters, too! That's the whole point of the online tatting community as far as I'm concerned!

Thank you, so much, Martha! No, I won't lose sight of that and I am still very proud of myself for figuring that other thing on my own. I really appreciate that you remind me of this! Folks like yourself are a "gem" in the tatting community's crown, Martha! Love your attitude! What a good example of sharing!

Hi Liyarra! I'm so glad you got my "Dickens"! I had fun putting it together and was hoping that someone would actually read it, LOL!

Hi Gina! Well, you definately were included in on the emails and if you hadn't given me the correct email address (which...I don't know how I missed that...I've communicated via email with Martha before when I ordered her Teapot book from her!)

Lynn B said...

Wow your creations are wonderful!

Maureen said...

Very apposite bowdlerisation of Dickens, but I am quite sure that he, at least, is not agitated in the least by it!

Reen said...

2 Beautiful hearts.
Phew! Trying to absorb MSR & now its SSSR. Mayb i'll stick to basic patterns. hehehe.....

our shabby cottage said...

Wow, most of that just went straight over my head but I'm with you, I really like the one on left too. It looks more heart like and the shape is nicer. OK that's my two bobs worth!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Very cleverly worded... it's one of my favorite novels, and I'm sure I'll chuckle when I re-read it because of your rendition!

I love the hearts! I think it's wonderful that you have learned so many new techniques. I'm still stuck with rings and chains, but that's okay. Someday I'll have the ambition to learn it all!

Mary Ellen said...

Well, as a tatter wannabe, I love the super close-up shots. I need to SEE how it all works!

Clever version of Dickens, too!

NeereAnDear said...

I am just in total awe of your work

SO STUNNING!!


HUGS
JO

Pretty Things said...

I am amazed and have no idea how you make such great things!

Denise Felton said...

Whoa! This rocks! I just put a link to this post on my blog. Hope it brings you a new fan or two.

Denise
http://needlework.craftgossip.com

Ann said...

So beautiful! And I love the colors you used.

Barb said...

Hi Miss TattingChic,

You are the ultimate tatter. If I could sit down next to you and have you start me off correctly, I would be in heaven. Till then, I will just have to pretend that I understand-hehe.

Hope you had a good Memorial day my friend.

hugs,
Barb

Decor To Adore said...

This is so pretty. Someday I hope to learn. :)

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Hats off to TattingChickens! As I've said before, your work amazes me to no end. Simply stunning.
:)

Draffin Bears said...

Your hearts are beautiful TattingChic.
Your online class will be so helpful to those that tat.

Hugs
Carolyn

Donna said...

I like both of them, but the one on the left the best. Very pretty indeed!

Sherry aka Celtic Dream Weaver said...

YOur heart is absolutely beautiful. I love the colors...Pink and green I think is my favorite color combination. Looking forward to see ing what else you come up with.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Lynn!

LOL! Thanks, Maureen! Glad you liked the fractured Dickens...and thought it might've met his approval.

Hi Reen! LOL! Well, yes, by all means, stick to regular patterns if you like, but this is a technique to stick into any regular pattern if you wanted to! BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!

Hi, Our Shabby Cottage! Thanks for your two Bob's worth! That works! You don't need to know tatting to know what looks okay as far as negative and positive spaces go!

Hi Diane! Whew! I passed mustard with the librarian! Woo Hoo! LOL! ;)
It has been fun sharing these new techniques.

Thanks, Mary Ellen! I hope you are able to change the "wannabe tatter" to a "newbie" and then, the tatting world's your oyster! LOL! Glad you like the Dickens silliness!

Thank you very much, Jo!

Thank you, Pretty Things!

Very cool, Denise! Thank you so much for the shout out on Needlework News! What an honor!

Hi Ann, thank you! These are 2 of my fave colors!

Hi Barb! Wouldn't that be fun to sit down and teach you to tat!? That would be neat to visit like that and be part of bringing a new tatter into the world!

Thank you, Laura Ingalls Gunn. I hope you do learn someday!

ROFLOL! Thanks Cathy! Your comment really gave me a chuckle!

Awww... thank you, Carolyn! I hope it wasn't too boring for those that don't tat! I'm so glad you came to visit.

Thank you, Donna! Glad you like both of them. I like both of them, too! I just think that the one on the left does Martha's beautiful pattern justice!

Thank you so much, Sherry! It means a lot coming from a fellow tatter. Pink and green is my favorite color combo, too! :)

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

Very interesting post. Thank you for all the work you did to make this a technique I could follow.

The heart is lovely and well worth it to learn the technique.

blessings said...

Hmmm... the one on the left or the one on the right... I'll take both! :)

Blessings... Polly

Free Art Printables said...

I LOVE that~ Those colors are so pretty! Jen

Bella Sinclair said...

Haha! That Mr. TattingChickens. What a wonderful writer, eh?

Both your hearts are gorgeous, but I think I prefer the one on the left, too. It seems just a wee bit more open. Beautiful, beautiful work!

IsDihara said...

Incredible work!
The "Chickens-Dickens," the hearts *and* the techniques used to make them. I'm hereby (and once again) inspired by your creativity.

Someday I hope to sit at your tatting table and soak up your tatting vibrations, hee hee.

Thank you so much for sharing.

AnneB said...

Way to go! That's one for the SSSR! SC and MSR go hide!

Great post, loved it!

Susan Elliott said...

I would really love to sit at your knee one day and learn this!! xoxo Susan

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello My Friend, I try sooo hard to keep up with everyone and unfortunately I fall short allot of the time. My apology for missing soo many of your posts. BUT I absolutely love your tatted rose heart. This pattern always makes me smile and you do a lovely job of creating it. Hugs Judy

Cat (darklingwoods) said...

What beautiful work, I love your color choices too!

AnneB said...

Just want to thank you and Martha for this way of climbing out of a row! I have been using it on some dragons lately :-)

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, Carol! I am so glad you can follow what it was that I documented!

Ha ha! Thanks, Polly!

Thank you, Jen! Pink and green is one of my favorite color combinations! The HDT (hand dyed thread) is one of Yarnplayer's beautiful creations!

Good eye, Bella, LOL! Yes, that Mr TattingChickens is quite a character isn't he??? LOL! ;)

Awww...Isdihara! Thank you so much, that made my day! Wouldn't it be fun for so many of us online tatters to tat at the same table sometime!?!

Thanks, Anne B! LOL, I love your comment!

Oh, Susan, I would love to teach you someday! We could exchange your beading, embroidery knowledge for my tatting knowledge! What a beautiful combo that would be with both of those talents combined!

Hi Judy! Not to worry...as you can see by the timing of this response I have a hard time keeping up with blogs, too, even my own! LOL!

Thank you, Cat! I'm glad you like the colors! They are some of my faves.

Thank you, Anne B! I am so glad to hear you have been using this technique for your beautiful tatting! Thanks so much for the comment! It made my day!